E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Insurance Claim Dispute. Labor $53/hr???

11-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Insurance Claim Dispute. Labor $53/hr???

I got into minor fender accident. The other party's insurance will pay for it.

I went to one of their approved shops. They listed $167 for the front bumper and $250 for one of the headlights. They are also charging $53/hr for the body work.

I saw their posted hourly rate at the shop. It was about $150/hr.

My plan was getting the check first and throw different style of bumper and hood at a different shop.
I am sure they will give me different rate when I walk in as out of pocket customer.

Is this how it is??

texts from the adjustor 'we are allowed to pay for negotiated labor rates and the lowest parts available. Any shop you take it to needs to work off our estimate'
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterh View Post
I got into minor fender accident. The other party's insurance will pay for it.

I went to one of their approved shops. They listed $167 for the front bumper and $250 for one of the headlights. They are also charging $53/hr for the body work.

I saw their posted hourly rate at the shop. It was about $150/hr.

My plan was getting the check first and throw different style of bumper and hood at a different shop.
I am sure they will give me different rate when I walk in as out of pocket customer.

Is this how it is??

texts from the adjustor 'we are allowed to pay for negotiated labor rates and the lowest parts available. Any shop you take it to needs to work off our estimate'
Not true in Ca.
I'd go get my own estimate and they need to work off that.
They need to pay two put the car back like it was.

I usually let my insurance company pay and then they can recover the money from the other people.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

$167 is not going to cover the cost of a BMW branded bumper. If you weren't at fault, I'd insist they get estimates for genuine BMW parts both the bumper and headlight, and work from there. Sounds like the adjuster is doing their job and trying to get you to settle for the lowest possible cost. I would challenge that. Take it to several other body shops and get estimates, using genuine BMW parts for the quote.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Any chance your insurance is Esurance? I was in an accident recently and I got the same rate and response from the adjuster. Initially they only wanted to pay less than half of estimates that I got. Fought with the adjuster for a month, share my situation on social media, contacted the local TV station to help. They finally paid and I am in the process of switching to Geico
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

How can they justify repairing your car with cheapest possible parts, and apprentice labour rates?? At worst you need like-for-like replacement...really it should be that the damaged parts of the car are restored to factory condition, using OE parts and dealership labour. No way I'd settle for their offer!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
How can they justify repairing your car with cheapest possible parts, and apprentice labour rates?? At worst you need like-for-like replacement...really it should be that the damaged parts of the car are restored to factory condition, using OE parts and dealership labour. No way I'd settle for their offer!
Most insurance companies do not use OE parts for repair, they use aftermarket. Using new OE parts is considered putting your car back to "better than new" condition. Most of the time it is in the policy, and some policies allow for OE parts if preferred for an extra cost. Most of the claims I handled were repaired with new aftermarket parts or used OE.

The exception was cars that were so new that no aftermarket or used parts were available yet.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

$53/hr doesn't seem out of line ...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No. the other party's insurance is Safeco. The adjustor basically told me she would mail the check since I got the estimate and I told her I didn't agree to it.

Imagine I walk in to the same shop and demand body work for the same hourly rate.
When I had accident in Utah, I think it was about 80 bucks per hour.

This is CA where gas price is $4. The shop is in West hollywood too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep View Post
Any chance your insurance is Esurance? I was in an accident recently and I got the same rate and response from the adjuster. Initially they only wanted to pay less than half of estimates that I got. Fought with the adjuster for a month, share my situation on social media, contacted the local TV station to help. They finally paid and I am in the process of switching to Geico
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #9
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
This is total BS! I just payed for a new front bumper for the e90 because my wife hit one of those darn truck tire rubber chunks on the freeway at night. Damaged a fog light and took the paint off the left corner. I did all the removal and installation myself. Just took the bumper to a local body shop (Phoenix AZ). I trust this shop to have fair prices, I have used them on several occasions. I ended up having them order a new bumper and paint it, since it would have cost about as much in labor to prep the old bumper for painting as was the price of the replacement part. Bottom line, I paid around $ 1200 for the new bumper painted. Would have been $ 1100 to prep and paint the old one.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

They can mail you a check, just don't cash it, and remember, they can always send you a supplemental check.

You never say that you have another estimate at a shop you want to use.

Also, they have to pay you for a rental car, and if you don't need it, you can ask for a cashout equivalent.

Either way, you're not talking much money, and just be grateful you didn't have to spend any time in the hospital!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Insurance companies are a PITA to deal with, I know since I worked for one and was on the negotiating side of many claims. If you talk to a manager, sometimes you get lucky. The reality is there's a reason they make millions/billions in profits every year. They can explain their way out of everything with fine print and hire better lawyers than you could ever afford.

If you send them multiple quotes from shops in the area you are more likely to get closer to your number. They will always use the excuse "any Joe Shop can charge X amount for work, but this is what we think is the norm" until you show them multiple estimates in your area for the work that aligns closer with what you want. Same goes for totaled cars. They will give you the lowest amount possible unless you send proof of multiple cars in the same area selling for more with similar stats as your vehicle.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Insurance can be easy or just as stressful as the accident you've just experienced. The good ones understand that they work for you while the bad ones think people will accept the first lowball offer they make. Understand your rights and you will be fine. Their "preferred" shop is either getting a volume or work, doing subpar work or a little something under the table.
      11-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #13
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You never say that you have another estimate at a shop you want to use.

I didn't understand this part. Can you elaborate on that?

I was thinking just going to different shops not in their approved list and see what Hourly rate they would charge. Average rate is $120 I believe but I will be still ok with $70~80 bucks.

Do you agree if I cash the check, buy m3 bumper and walk into the Same shop as a cash customer, they will slap me with their posted hourly rate ($120~150) instead of $53/hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
They can mail you a check, just don't cash it, and remember, they can always send you a supplemental check.

Also, they have to pay you for a rental car, and if you don't need it, you can ask for a cashout equivalent.

Either way, you're not talking much money, and just be grateful you didn't have to spend any time in the hospital!
Appreciate 0