E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Wrapping chrome window trim, not black.

06-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I cannot find the same vinyl as bimmian's roundel colors for titanium silver. Has anyone attempted to wrap their window trim in anything but black? I have a 330i, but if I go black I'm afraid it will be. Seen as a poser 328 that rebadged. I'd like to color match, or something off kilter. Looking for anyone who has gone any other color than black. I attached a picture. My car is titanium silver/matte carbon fiber and I want to stay in bounds.
Attached Images

06-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I also have an MSport conversion happening on the 18th.
Attached Images

06-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Beautiful car man! If I were to make recommendations, I would wrap the roof rails/channels and make that line uniform on the top. Link below to various colors surely there is something there that would work. I think several of the matte grays at the bottom would look nice and achieve what you are looking for.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shop...rap-all-colors
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352338.50
      06-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Why not wrap the trim in CF to match your accents and give it a more upscale look?
      06-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Why not wrap the trim in CF to match your accents and give it a more upscale look?
Quote:
Too much CF.
      06-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrink View Post
Too much CF.
Just my opinion and it will not appeal to the masses. It seems that everyone wants to wrap everything in CF anymore. CF, in my opinion is cool if it's factory or if it's real. Just seems poserish to me. I mean no disrespect as there are lots of people on here, I imagine, that have CF wrapped dashes, trim, etc. To each his own. I applaud you for not going with the norm and doing something different. Please post pics after you have it finished whatever direction you go in.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Quote:
Too much CF.
Just my opinion and it will not appeal to the masses. It seems that everyone wants to wrap everything in CF anymore. CF, in my opinion is cool if it's factory or if it's real. Just seems poserish to me. I mean no disrespect as there are lots of people on here, I imagine, that have CF wrapped dashes, trim, etc. To each his own. I applaud you for not going with the norm and doing something different. Please post pics after you have it finished whatever direction you go in.
I generally agree with this sentiment, BUT I've only seen it on window trim once before, and it's not a large piece so it becomes a bit more subtle (vs roof, hood, etc).

Also if done with real CF rather than cheap matte vinyl, I think it can look quite nice especially since it won't really be too noticeable as CF until you get closer.

But whatever makes OP happy
      06-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Too much CF.
I generally agree with this sentiment, BUT I've only seen it on window trim once before, and it's not a large piece so it becomes a bit more subtle (vs roof, hood, etc).

Also if done with real CF rather than cheap matte vinyl, I think it can look quite nice especially since it won't really be too noticeable as CF until you get closer.

Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Beautiful car man! If I were to make recommendations, I would wrap the roof rails/channels and make that line uniform on the top. Link below to various colors surely there is something there that would work. I think several of the matte grays at the bottom would look nice and achieve what you are looking for.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/colored-patterned-wrap-vinyls/sub/colored-wrap-vinyl/set/3m-vinyl-wrap-all-colors
I am actually re-wrapping the roof shortly. Just received a new upper windshield gasket to complete the look. Those channels will be wrapped as well.
      06-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Too much CF.

Ever since I installed the matte carbon fiber grilles I've been stuck into matte carbon fiber. Couldn't mix in my opinion. Hence matte rotiforms and wrap. I loathe chrome. Plus the previous owner never cared for it properly so it's also weather beaten and blotchy. Black May be the only option. Has anyone discovered what wrap matches titanium silver? I have bimmian roundel overlays that look like a perfect match, but these are also so small it's hard to confirm if it is indeed close. Bimmian has also turned me down when I asked for the vinyl color.
      07-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I'm just going matte black. No need to get crazy.
      07-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Michaelwaito
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: Man

Wrapping chrome window trim not black

I think a competent body shop could do it by masking off the glass and surrounding body panels. Is your trim chipped or flaking?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
CTrink
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelwaito View Post
I think a competent body shop could do it by masking off the glass and surrounding body panels. Is your trim chipped or flaking?
They're weather beaten and weren't properly taken care of by the previous owner. Plus I hate chrome. I've already vinyl wrapped them. Ultimately I was looking for another color option other than matte black, but why reinvent the wheel.