E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New software still causing performance issues??

12-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 Blk/Blk

Exclamation New software still causing performance issues??

I just bought a 2007 E92 from a BMW dealership (2 weeks ago).

Took the car in the get the seatbelt extender fixed and had the software updated (ISTA v39.4)

When I got the car back it seems weaker off the line and through 2nd gear. Not as much responsiveness and aggression when I hit the gas.

I have since found a ton of post here about software issues, wastegate retrofits, and decreased performance. I'm bringing the car back in tomorrow to get a taillight malfunction fixed and I want the get this performance issue resolved.

Can someone Please tell me if im imagining the reduced performance and the new software doesn't have this problem? Or can you advise on how to get the stealership to fix "the beast" back to original form.

Also will the JB3/4 be an easier fix to this whole mess?

Thank you all very much for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The dealership will not revert the software to a previous version. You can have them fix your rattle over and over until they replace the turbo. Since you have an 07, you might also have an injector recall.

When I first picked up my car early 07 model it had never been flashed and ran like a champ with wastegate rattle, I brought it in for the fix and software update.... the car never ran the same.

I just installed the Procede tonight and it made a HUGE difference. The on throttle response is night and day difference. The car pulls again.. anyone can do the install, it's the easiest PNP system I have ever installed.

Good Luck Man! Once you get the bugs the worked out these cars are really fun to drive They just like the dealer.

Michael
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I am gonna see how they handle me tomorrow and if they replace anything.

Interesting you had the rattle. I notice a squeak noise periodically between shifts at low speeds (in parking lots) you have that too?

Anyone ever have that, like a valve is opening and closing?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

My car started to rattle during idle after the software upgrade.
The throttle responsiveness and aggression is also a little weaker now.
I'm coming from a oct 2006 software.

Fortunately the PROcede manage to mask the rattle, but the responsiveness and aggression is not quite there compared to what it was before...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Sometimes you need to wait for the software updates to adapt to your driving style. Do some hard pulls.

The original software back in fall 2006 was awesome. The initial wastegate rattle fixes software sucked. The last version I got was pretty good, but I asked for the high perf variant. Not sure if there still is such a thing. If you can get the dealer to replace the wastegate actuators or the whole turbos that is best.

If you really want power that rips and provides safety then get a Procede.

The squeak - squeak - squeak sound in parking garage is probably the rear brake sensor. Try gliding around 5 mph in a garage and listen with your window down.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Sometimes you need to wait for the software updates to adapt to your driving style. Do some hard pulls.
Did that for about 5 days, not major difference besides about 17mpgs

Quote:
The last version I got was pretty good, but I asked for the high perf variant. Not sure if there still is such a thing. If you can get the dealer to replace the wastegate actuators or the whole turbos that is best.
what is this high performace variant and why isnt the dealer leting me know about this option? they also said nothing about replacing hardware when I dropped it off today. The Service rep said usually these kinds of things have to go to corporate for approval?? sounds like BS to me..

Quote:
The squeak - squeak - squeak sound in parking garage is probably the rear brake sensor. Try gliding around 5 mph in a garage and listen with your window down.
not the same kind of squeak-squeak you hear from brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

i did not feel any difference at all (besides a smoother drive ). maybe i am not that anal about it or i never drive stock......
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
I had noticeable performance decreases. Argued with the dealer until they told me off, then I called BMWNA...

BMWNA, admitted that the software will decrease performance some compared to what it was when I bought it. I said, cool. Buy the car back.

They opened a case, then decided to play legal chicken with me betting I won't sue them. I'm not planning on it. But, I can't say enough bad about BMW in general.

I still love my e92. It's just been a bad experience all around... sale, service, random shit breaking, busted wheel, then I hit something (haha). I might see if I can get to know the salesman's wife and screw her - just to make myself feel better.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
get to know the salesman's wife and screw her - just to make myself feel better.
Hmmmm.... Perfect
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP E92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
[...] get to know the salesman's wife and screw her - just to make myself feel better.
Hmmmm.... Perfect
Yeah, I thought that would be covered under the BMW Maintenance Package too... but, apparently it's not. lol

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: They reinstalled the software with WASTEGATE fix and the car seems to be accelerating allot smoother! with steady acceleration and no lag.

Still feel a little less powerful but with all the rain in LA I haven't been able to really push it.

Also, the exhaust is quieter now and less engine noise in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #12
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP E92 View Post
Update: They reinstalled the software with WASTEGATE fix and the car seems to be accelerating allot smoother! with steady acceleration and no lag.
The car should be even more laggy with BMW's own WG fix activated...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #13
BDP E92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
The car should be even more laggy with BMW's own WG fix activated...

Really? Doesnt feel that way. Why would that make it more laggy???
Appreciate 0