E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

06-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #89
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsEye View Post
This car is quickly becoming one of my favourite. I'm really interested in how the subframe bushes work out, I can feel the 'slop' even standard so would probably upgrade before a remap. Keep up the good stuff!
Thanks for the kind words mate

Hopefully i'll get the subframe bushes and swifts in next month. But i'm thinking if i do them together then i won't really realise what part affected what, and any reviews i do may not be accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1985 View Post
Loving this! Subscribed for fellow 335d inspiration! Not sure I can wait until next year to get mine mapped, you've got me craving power!

Also, if you're planning a e90post track day and its not too far away, Im in!
Thanks mate. Swift springs arrived today. £42 customs??? It was €198 shipped,, and £34.73 was import VAT. £42 is a rip off. Not happy!

But here they are:

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #90
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Duty and VAT are a bit hit and miss depending upon who deals with it. Parcel force charge stupid admin fees etc which bump up the cost as opposed to just then duty and vat itself.

Nice though. Look forward to the results of having them fitted as I might eventually go this route as I've just purchased a set of Ohlins R&T too LOL.
      06-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #91
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Duty and VAT are a bit hit and miss depending upon who deals with it. Parcel force charge stupid admin fees etc which bump up the cost as opposed to just then duty and vat itself.

Nice though. Look forward to the results of having them fitted as I might eventually go this route as I've just purchased a set of Ohlins R&T too LOL.
Ah thats excellent news Raj you won't be disappointed! Where did you source yours from? When you getting it fitted? Excited for you mate.

You could try the stock ohlins springs first if you want, there are still people that are happy with that including one of the best nurburgring drivers on here, alpina_b3_lux. The front certainly is good, its the rear where some people prefer a higher rate. Including delivery and all taxes the rears come in at 240 GBP, so not exactly cheap.

Kinda envy yours as you have an LSD. That's whats really missing from mine now. Are you on stock subframe bushes and arms? Forgot what suspension changes you have done.

Re the duty, if the rate applied was 20% then 20% of 198 dollars is 25 GBP. I got charged about 35 GBP for import duty
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:40 AM   #92
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Ah thats excellent news Raj you won't be disappointed! Where did you source yours from? When you getting it fitted? Excited for you mate.

You could try the stock ohlins springs first if you want, there are still people that are happy with that including one of the best nurburgring drivers on here, alpina_b3_lux. The front certainly is good, its the rear where some people prefer a higher rate. Including delivery and all taxes the rears come in at 240 GBP, so not exactly cheap.

Kinda envy yours as you have an LSD. That's whats really missing from mine now. Are you on stock subframe bushes and arms? Forgot what suspension changes you have done.

Re the duty, if the rate applied was 20% then 20% of 198 dollars is 25 GBP. I got charged about 35 GBP for import duty
Cheers. Should be delivered next Tuesday according to tracking. I got them from a company in Italy. Shipped direct to me from Andreani (Italian Ohlins Distributor) it's worked out to £1350 all in and have checked and the Ohlins warranty is worldwide so no issues there.

I'll be fitting them myself next weekend as it's a little too much to do in an evening after work.

I won't consider upgrading the rear springs until I've fully tested the setup to see whether it works or not for me but good to know the cost of the Swift springs if needed

I've read plenty of reviews of the Ohlins (inc. Marcels) and the majority seem happy with the setup without needing to change springs. Hopefully combined with the other upgrades it should be good.

Yeah the LSD does help but I do still get a lot of traction control kicking in lol

The subframe bushes were done when the rest of the Birds upgrades were completed so all good there.

I just need to source some adjustable rear toe arms and front camber plates before finally having the whole geo done properly by Chris @ Centre Gravity.
      06-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #93
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Cheers. Should be delivered next Tuesday according to tracking. I got them from a company in Italy. Shipped direct to me from Andreani (Italian Ohlins Distributor) it's worked out to £1350 all in and have checked and the Ohlins warranty is worldwide so no issues there.

I'll be fitting them myself next weekend as it's a little too much to do in an evening after work.

I won't consider upgrading the rear springs until I've fully tested the setup to see whether it works or not for me but good to know the cost of the Swift springs if needed

I've read plenty of reviews of the Ohlins (inc. Marcels) and the majority seem happy with the setup without needing to change springs. Hopefully combined with the other upgrades it should be good.

Yeah the LSD does help but I do still get a lot of traction control kicking in lol

The subframe bushes were done when the rest of the Birds upgrades were completed so all good there.

I just need to source some adjustable rear toe arms and front camber plates before finally having the whole geo done properly by Chris @ Centre Gravity.
£1350 is a really good price! Nice work. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

By the way, make sure you fit the rear adjusters, will make adjusting the rear piss easy! I also fitted thrust sheets, which basically allow the springs to spin whilst under compression. I would have ordered some for you from HPA if i had known.

On another note, every bloody time i'm planning to go to Santa Pod rain is forecast. Wanted to go tomorrow but it will be raining
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #94
ollieebmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X340d G01

Greetings.
Just read this whole post and damn. What a monster. I too have a 335d and was looking at ecotune hybrid turbos. Looking to do the full package whilst doing a road trip to Scotland. Good excuse. I am running the birds b3 sport suspension which replaced the skittish m sport one and it transformed the car. Was told its a black art seting up suspension correctly and so many get it wrong when using coil overs and springs. Hope you are well trained. I, m still to get anti roll bar set from same company. Great job your car is definitely a sleeper.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #95
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieebmw View Post
Greetings.
Just read this whole post and damn. What a monster. I too have a 335d and was looking at ecotune hybrid turbos. Looking to do the full package whilst doing a road trip to Scotland. Good excuse. I am running the birds b3 sport suspension which replaced the skittish m sport one and it transformed the car. Was told its a black art seting up suspension correctly and so many get it wrong when using coil overs and springs. Hope you are well trained. I, m still to get anti roll bar set from same company. Great job your car is definitely a sleeper.
Thanks mate it is very high power compared to stock, which is high as well! It is expensive, but i sold my IC (£110) and DPF (£350) so made nearly £500 back. Would definitely suggest making the overnight trip, just be careful on the way back

You're running a very nice kit, but trust me if you ever do this you'll realise the other weak points of the E9X suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #96
Jim1985
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Is there really a market for second hand DPFs?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #97
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1985
I had mine on eBay for 450 or best offer, had one guy interested and actually sold it today for 350 cash collected. He had a 120k miles 635D. Not sure if i got lucky with that price but mine did only do 60k with BMWhat showing 100k remaining life.

I guess the market is better now DPF removal is an MOT failure
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #98
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Had a bit of a scare today.

Was driving on the clockwise M25 and took the slip road to M1 northbound at a higher speed then i should have. Obviously no cars about. I got a bit excited and i think my speed was obviously too much for the corner. Could feel it understeer.

Then a few seconds later i get the error message "engine fault, please drive moderately....", and power was down. I'm thinking please don't be serious, but i got home and reset codes with BMWhat and power is back. Went for a long test drive and everything is ok. The codes on BMWhat were speed sensors, dsc codes.

Why does that happen??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:13 AM   #99
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1985 View Post
There is Jim trust me people who have a DPF that's gone too far have a couple of choices being DPF removal, remove and clean their current DPF, find an aftermarket solution or buy new/used direct BMW replacement.

The removals been widely spoken about, provides a freer revving less restrictive end result, car feels more lively, you may see bsck to bsck apart from other benefits slightly better fuel economy as everything is working more efficiently, downside well you can promote smoke and it can if spotted cause an MOT isdue.

Removing and cleaning the current DPF, a few company's are about that offers the service we've fitted a few and hsve had mixed results with this. On one we carried out a forced controlled re gen with the diagnostic Ms hind on board controlling the process to get the DPF back on track so mixed results on this I'd say from the few I've seen.

If you've got a 335d aftermarket DPF's well the ones I've seen have bought problems mainly flow causing even on a new one DPF issues, one customer I had bought an aftermarket unit run the car fur a few days gad issues he came back when we removed the unit the turbo end it was starting to blacken up which you'd expect but at the rear the filter looked almost new meaning it wasn't flowing right, when we ordered a BMW replacement stuck them side by side visually you could just about make out the BMW unit had different size gauze at the front and back end it felt heavier too. When this was installed mo issues had the car back 10 days later no issues, we see the car from time to time no issues.

If your selling second hand then Jim trust me there's a market.
      06-28-2015, 02:18 AM   #100
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Had a bit of a scare today.

Was driving on the clockwise M25 and took the slip road to M1 northbound at a higher speed then i should have. Obviously no cars about. I got a bit excited and i think my speed was obviously too much for the corner. Could feel it understeer.

Then a few seconds later i get the error message "engine fault, please drive moderately....", and power was down. I'm thinking please don't be serious, but i got home and reset codes with BMWhat and power is back. Went for a long test drive and everything is ok. The codes on BMWhat were speed sensors, dsc codes.

Why does that happen??
Difgicukt to say Mo but you can have DSC faults on the car before you see warning signs and engine power loss, we done Psuls 320d yesterday the car registered a DSC fault long before he eventually saw the telltale lights. At a guess I'd say the unit might be reacting to the power your putting through it. Seen s few hydros on bigger Bhp Diesels startingbto come out of the woodwork main,y 56/07/57 plate cars and we've replaced a few 2 or 3 different codes but main one is hydro unit internal fault. The other thing again we are seeing is drive shaft swelling where the reluctor rings hit the sensor due to corrosion.

What were the codes though out of curiosity.

On the springs Mo bet you can't wait to put these on to check the difference? Agree with the import tax and all the other charges imposed. Bloody ripoff especially the clerical/admin type chsrges.

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-28-2015 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #101
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

There were quite a few codes on BMWhat, didn't take them all down. From what i remember there was the left and right speed sensors. Wish i noted them all down

I read somewhere that stock 335d's can get error codes on a track, something to do with when the car is pushed really hard around corners? On the dash there was nothing apart from engine fault and limp mode.

I might just read the codes in a couple of weeks just in case to see if any come up, and will post them on here. But i'm hoping it was due to that one mad corner i took, speed was very high and car went into limp mode pretty much straight away. Hopefully its nothing else....

Re the springs, yes was very harsh on the import charges! I still have the springs and solid rear subframe bushes to put on. Which reminds me, did you get a chance to find out re fitting the bushes? Feel free to PM if you prefer
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #102
mnmz2012
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Garage List
Hydro

Most likely the hydro pump has failed, stealers will charge £2,400 for parts and then labour, i got mine repaired and fully fitted for £310, Awesome ride ;-)

Quote:
There were quite a few codes on BMWhat, didn't take them all down. From what i remember there was the left and right speed sensors. Wish i noted them all down

I read somewhere that stock 335d's can get error codes on a track, something to do with when the car is pushed really hard around corners? On the dash there was nothing apart from engine fault and limp mode.

I might just read the codes in a couple of weeks just in case to see if any come up, and will post them on here. But i'm hoping it was due to that one mad corner i took, speed was very high and car went into limp mode pretty much straight away. Hopefully its nothing else....

Re the springs, yes was very harsh on the import charges! I still have the springs and solid rear subframe bushes to put on. Which reminds me, did you get a chance to find out re fitting the bushes? Feel free to PM if you prefer
Attached Images

Last edited by mnmz2012; 08-22-2015 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #103
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Did you go down the pod yet? i went yesterday and all i could manage was 12.8 , being myfirst time i have no idea what i was doing haha
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:41 AM   #104
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Nice ride and gains! Must feel insane! Does it smoke much?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #105
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmz2012 View Post
Most likely the hydro pump has failed, stealers will charge £2,400 for parts and then labour, i got mine repaired and fully fitted for £310, Awesome ride ;-)
Thanks mate. Happy to report after resetting it the car has been fine, no issues thankfully. Your car looks awesome

Bit of an update. Had my first child born on Monday, so this thread will prob stay quiet for a bit lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #106
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Did you go down the pod yet? i went yesterday and all i could manage was 12.8 , being myfirst time i have no idea what i was doing haha
Na havenmt been yet mate. Been busy with a house move and my first child being born, but will go soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DieselPower View Post
Nice ride and gains! Must feel insane! Does it smoke much?
Feels scary but nice! I don't even go WOT that much anymore, halfway is enough most of the time. It does smoke a little on WOT, but only on the 422bhp map. On the 350bhp map no smoke even at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #107
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate. Happy to report after resetting it the car has been fine, no issues thankfully. Your car looks awesome
That's good to hear. Generally when pushing on in those circumstances sometimes just the excessive slip in traction can cause the car to think there is a bigger issue than there is and reduce power just in case. Always good to reset and see if it happens again more consistently (then you know you have an issue).

Quote:
Bit of an update. Had my first child born on Monday, so this thread will prob stay quiet for a bit lol.
Huge congrats as that's really good news. My modding didn't taper off with my first child (or even the second) so no excuses LOL.
      08-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #108
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
That's good to hear. Generally when pushing on in those circumstances sometimes just the excessive slip in traction can cause the car to think there is a bigger issue than there is and reduce power just in case. Always good to reset and see if it happens again more consistently (then you know you have an issue).
Yes i think you are right and it was a one off. The car was pushed hard, a bit too much speed for the corner and understeered, light came on within a minute so i'm 100% that the corner caused it, as now its fine going at WOT as well. Touchwood...

Quote:
Huge congrats as that's really good news. My modding didn't taper off with my first child (or even the second) so no excuses LOL.
Haha respect that you could keep it up! I'll try very hard but will be a battle!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:23 AM   #109
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Does anyone know if you need a 4 wheel alignment when getting solid subframe bushes fitted?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #110
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Does anyone know if you need a 4 wheel alignment when getting solid subframe bushes fitted?
It is recommended since the subframe will be dropped and even the slightest movement will affect the alignment. There are metal pins that the subframe bushes fit onto but it can still change especially since the old rubber ones will have flex in them.
Appreciate 0