E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Picking up my 2009 335d sport tomorrow

07-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335D

Picking up my 2009 335d sport tomorrow

I have been shopping around for a 335d for a good month plus now. I finally made a choice on the car I am going to get and I will be bringing it home tomorrow. Although I was not exactly looking for this interior combo I kind of like it. The car has just shy of 160K miles but the carfax report shows this car serviced at a BMW dealer almost 50 times although no real detail is mentioned on what was done.

What is the little black thing in the left section of the lower center grill? The car was listed as having front and rear parking aid sensors many cars have that and I have not see that object in a grill before.

I am hoping to jump right into the ABC delete but maybe I will wait until I start having issues with the emissions components first.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

That's adaptive cruise. A rare and expensive option, although the usefulness is somewhat debatable. Also like the interior color. Looks pretty well optioned.
Appreciate 2
RED-d27.00
      07-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would have never guessed that was what that was. Interesting option for sure and may be good if your a heavily distracted driver. hahaha

I was curious if this car had the higher end stereo and the PO was not sure but he did say it has the center channel speaker on the Dash. I am hoping for the hifi or higher end stereo that was offering back in 2009.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Nice sport package, steering wheel is even heated - which is unusual.

It does have at least HiFi sound - tweeters in door a-pillars.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

I知 a new 335d owner as well. Given that Bmw is covering the scr tank and the nox sensors, and because diesel is nasty stuff, I chose to keep emissions in tact. I知 running the BPC stage 1 tune with emissions in tact. Around 320rwhp and 500 lb feet at the wheels. Plenty of power and no smoke or fumes. I知 also running the DWR tranny tune. Very nice. Skip the xhp tunes if you go this route.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

A very nice car. I think it has all the options that you can dream of. Except may be for individual stereo. Hope it has flip down rear seats. Otherwise, full load. Beautiful interior colour.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
A very nice car. I think it has all the options that you can dream of. Except may be for individual stereo. Hope it has flip down rear seats. Otherwise, full load. Beautiful interior colour.
I see butt warmer buttons, so thinking the seats fold too! This is indeed a very nicely optioned car. Great find
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

That's probably one of the rarest 335ds driving around anywhere. Active cruise? Awesome!
      07-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just got home. Although its far from perfect with 160K miles on it its sure was a dream to drive for 5 hours home. The active cruise is kind of cool for sure. I didn't figure out how to set it up until about home so it was slowing down way behind the vehicles ahead of me but overall I do enjoy that option. The stereo is the HiFi until and it has to be one of the best factory stereos I have ever heard.

A few bad things on the car one of which is really minor but did not get by me when inspecting. There has been some paint work on the drivers quarter panel but overall it was done well and if it was not for faint tape lines it would be impossible to notice. The car has little scratches and chips here and there but what did expect for a $8000 decked out 335d? haha The wheels have a little rash on them but the tires are like brand new. I am satisfied with the overall condition of the car for what I paid.

The biggest issue which I was expecting no matter what 335d i purchased is I think possibly a carbon build up issue. The car runs great but when you slow to a stop and sit at a light the engine sure has a rough idle. I am hoping it is related to something I will soon delete with the ABC delete or maybe just a bad vacuum line or something. The car is still very drivable but at idle it is for sure a little rough.

Time to start researching the rough idle and getting my ducks in a row for the ABC delete.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmikeHall View Post
I just got home. Although its far from perfect with 160K miles on it its sure was a dream to drive for 5 hours home. The active cruise is kind of cool for sure. I didn't figure out how to set it up until about home so it was slowing down way behind the vehicles ahead of me but overall I do enjoy that option. The stereo is the HiFi until and it has to be one of the best factory stereos I have ever heard.

A few bad things on the car one of which is really minor but did not get by me when inspecting. There has been some paint work on the drivers quarter panel but overall it was done well and if it was not for faint tape lines it would be impossible to notice. The car has little scratches and chips here and there but what did expect for a $8000 decked out 335d? haha The wheels have a little rash on them but the tires are like brand new. I am satisfied with the overall condition of the car for what I paid.

The biggest issue which I was expecting no matter what 335d i purchased is I think possibly a carbon build up issue. The car runs great but when you slow to a stop and sit at a light the engine sure has a rough idle. I am hoping it is related to something I will soon delete with the ABC delete or maybe just a bad vacuum line or something. The car is still very drivable but at idle it is for sure a little rough.

Time to start researching the rough idle and getting my ducks in a row for the ABC delete.
The rough idle could just be cause it痴 been sitting awhile. I put some additive in mine when i first bought it (it had been sitting almost a year)... took a couple fillups with the additive and it completely fixed the rough idle issue it had. Couldn稚 hurt to try!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wanted to take a peak in the throttle body hoping to see it totally choked up with carbon but honestly it looked pretty clean as far as I could see. I couldn't really look back in the the throttle body that far so I need to get a bore scope camera and inspect further. Here is a video of the very rough idle. It actually runs rough up until about 1500RPM or so then it clears up and runs great it seems. Dang car pulls like a mule when accelerating hard but when you slow to a stop the is how it idles.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #12
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ordered a cheap INPA K+CAN cable in hopes of being able to check out the codes and maybe narrow down the issue. One thing I will note which I forgot to mention is that when I removed the engine cover there was a ton of soot covering the throttle body and that general area.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

run a tankfull double dosed with hot shots diesel extreme, see if she quiets down some. Nice car
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
run a tankfull double dosed with hot shots diesel extreme, see if she quiets down some. Nice car
+1 mine had same idle issues when I first bought it. Additives work wonders.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #15
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just do not know if carbon buildup would cause the engine to run like this. Its rough from idle up to about 1500 RMP then it clears up after. I took the car by Autozone today to let them scan it with and got a few codes. P323F and P0303, P0305 both were listed a few times. I am hoping the INPA K+CAN cable that will be here tomorrow will help me trouble shoot this issue a little easier. I can sure understand carbon build up causing the engine to run poor but this issues seems to be more of a misfire or something.

Last edited by GmikeHall; 07-08-2018 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:17 AM   #16
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Stop going to autozone people . P codes are useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #17
Djbrkb
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
Beauty. Yeah, very well optioned..

My car developed a rough idle just before 80,000 miles. Turned out the hydraulic motor mounts had collapsed. I値l bet that痴 your issue. Once replaced my car ran like a watch..

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2018, 01:45 AM   #18
mefferso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbrkb View Post
Beauty. Yeah, very well optioned..

My car developed a rough idle just before 80,000 miles. Turned out the hydraulic motor mounts had collapsed. I値l bet that痴 your issue. Once replaced my car ran like a watch..

I thought that too untill he posted the video. The engine RPM's are actually jumping up and down. Thats what he meant by 'rough idle'.
      07-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #19
Duckinator
Rep
Drives: 335d

Is that saddle brown?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I just do not know if carbon buildup would cause the engine to run like this. Its rough from idle up to about 1500 RMP then it clears up after. I took the car by Autozone today to let them scan it with and got a few codes. P323F and P0303, P0305 both were listed a few times. I am hoping the INPA K+CAN cable that will be here tomorrow will help me trouble shoot this issue a little easier. I can sure understand carbon build up causing the engine to run poor but this issues seems to be more of a misfire or something.
What does the rpm look like when just idling? And rev it a little slower. I know when mine was idling rough I could rev it slowly and the needle would ever so slightly jump a bit and then, like you said smooth out above 1500rpm. Mine did it intermittently though... hopefully its nothing too serious
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #21
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is just running horrible down below 1500rpm no matter what. I just started it up and heard a knocking sound and then it went away. I turned the car off then back on and the knocking was back then goes away. Sounds like its coming from inside the intake so maybe swirl flaps?

I have been trying to get this dang INPA software working but so far not getting it to. Getting an error message DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED. I think maybe I missread the listing on this cable and it may be only good for cars up to 2007.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #22
GmikeHall
Enlisted Member
Rep

A new issue has developed. I am starting to consider that there must be some major issues with this car. I had to run to the store late last night and when I went to leave the car refused to start. The car turns over but stumbles and just would not start but eventually did. So got home and shut it down then figured lets see if it starts now, same thing, car did not want to start but did after say some time turning over. Not sure if the ABC delete is going to take care of whatever is ailing this car. I have got to get the right cable or a code scanner to find out what is going on.
Appreciate 0