E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Chemical Guys Products

01-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #23
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

The two products i love from CG are

back to black spray
microfiber degreaser liquid detergent.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #24
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
anyone like using CG black light?

any insight on this will be appreciated
I personally love the Chemical Guys Blacklight for certain jobs. It helps create a tremendous shine but the durability is limited so I usually follow up with something like the CG Pete's 53 Wax for more shine and protection.

If you want to learn more about the Blacklight we have a good article about it here - Ask A Pro Blog - Blacklight Review. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #25
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I personally love the Chemical Guys Blacklight for certain jobs. It helps create a tremendous shine but the durability is limited so I usually follow up with something like the CG Pete's 53 Wax for more shine and protection.

If you want to learn more about the Blacklight we have a good article about it here - Ask A Pro Blog - Blacklight Review. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg! Now that I'm seeing about the durability being low, I really regret buying 2 gallons of it
      01-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #26
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I've tried many of CG's products and have been disappointed with them such as black wax, 50/50 wax, jetseal, barebones, MF towels, hybrid v7 and most likely others I am forgetting. Their products just aren't effective and the longevity is horrible. I like their VRP dressing for tire shine and engine bay dress up, and I do like their hex logic foam pads. That's about it. I have a lot of their products still and they just sit on the shelf and it's a shame because they weren't cheap, I just can't bring myself to use it on my car or even my friends cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #27
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Proper Technique

Make sure to wax, seal, polish, clay bar, and hit the car wash in that order
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #28
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
whut
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #29
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Menz polishes and compounds are good and fairly easy to work with, without seeing your swirls hard to say which ones you'll need but Powerfinish and P85RD as staples for me. With the GG buffer or Porter Cable anything above 5.5" pads is not effective.
What are you looking for longevity or appearance? Products work in opposite directions of those characteristics. Personally on my own cars I stick to Collonite 845, it's cheap, it's easy to use, shine is good and longevity is great. I don't use boutique waxes hardly at all anymore as there's just not that much difference in appearance and they rarely last including some really expensive ones. I prefer keeping the money in my pocket.
I personally use CG washes in the gallon size, CG Micro fiber Detergent, CG EZ Creme if someone does not want a polish and their air freshners. I use Duragloss products as well for sealants as they are really inexpensive and last just fine.
There's a ton of products in the market and using only one line does not necessarily get you the best value. Otruba's pretty much nailed it, some is opinion most pretty factual. Shop around there's value to be had in lots of products.
Autogeek has good value if you buy volume and get that discount but for the average guy you can do better if you shop around. You'd be surprised what you find sometimes over the counter in stores.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #30
HP_HOUND
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
No no no no no no! Avoid Lava wax like the plague. It is absolute shit (pardon my language, but its the only way to describe it). Get Menzerna Powerlock for a sealant instead of Jetseal. Jetseal mutes metallic flake and is known to have a less than desirable look. Instead of V34 and V36, get some real polishes from Menzerna. They are much much better. Dodge the black paint maintenance kit too. Your already getting a bottle of blacklight with the radiant finish kit and Black Wax is horrible too. Its the consistency super slippery putty which will just make a mess. 6.5 inch pads are too big for a griots buffer. 5.5 inch pads are the max that should be used for maximum effectiveness. The whole hex-logic pad is a gimmick too. Just pick up some 5.5 inch Lake Country pads for $3-4 less a piece. Those microfibers are crap too. Go to Costco and get a 36 pack of the yellow microfibers and use them for interior and glass only. Order 24 of these for the paint:
http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...emical+guys+12

Just trying to save you money and get better products for less. The only thing worth keeping on there is Hyrbid V07 and Blacklight. Every Chemical Guys product is filled with super hype and only about 5 of their products actually deserve it. If you can stretch $30 for a wax get Zymol Glasur. I will be making a review of it next week.
+1 on most of what was said.

I use Menrzerna FG400 for compound with a Lake County Orange Foam pad, Menrzerna SF4000 for polishing with a Lake County White Foam Pad, & Menrzerna Colorlock with a Lake County Red Foam pad if I want to use a liquid wax.

If I want to use a paste carnauba wax I will skip the Colorlock and apply P21S 100% carnauba or Dodo Juice Supernatural.

For liquid wax, I also sometimes use Collinite 845

If I want to use a sealant I use Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. with is made by Menzerna. This sealant is awesome. You can use both sealant and a wax on top but you have to let the sealant cure for 8 hours first.

I own Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax, Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze & CG's Pete's 53 wax.

The best of the 3 CG products I own is Pete's 53 paste wax. I really like this wax for the price.

I would say that I am more impressed with the Menzerna and WG results. Many other German car care products are also very good.

On Microfiber towels, I like the Chemical guys Green workhorse towels, but the best towels can be purchased at Amazon from the Rag Company. They are called "Eagle Edgeless" towels. They are about $6/each and made from Korean MF. I like the edgeless because there is no seem to scratch your paint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #31
Euroboost91
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Yes, CG products are VERY over hyped. The only thing I use from CG is their soap since it was on sale on Amazon and I use Blacklight as a added gloss booster, rest of it is crap IMO. I bought V34, V36, V38 and found it completely useless and a waste of money.
      05-29-2015, 03:56 AM   #32
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Why is the Black Wax so expensive? Although a seller on Ebay sell it for 55? almost 30 dollars cheaper than retail?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #33
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Any recommendations on a wax for a white car?

Also, I got some black sticky substance on my hood (came from the train since I was driving underneath it). Possibly tar? I removed it with a quick detailer but it left a yellow stain. Also it I removed it within 20min or so. Any help? Thanks