E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Battery Madness

10-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
sumisu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325xiT

BMW Battery Madness

Ok. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam everywhere but I'm still having trouble finding some clear information. So I'm having trouble with my battery draining out easily and the car not starting. A 2006 325xi wagon I purchase in June. The car had an Interstate lead acid battery and not the OEM - so it has been changed. The day I bought the car my kids were playing with all the power windows and seats and drained it out in an afternoon. I load tested the Interstate battery then and it passed. However, it was dead the other day for basically not reason but a few short trips the previous day. I have some concern about possible parasitic drain or something, so I don't want to drop extra cash on an OEM battery right now.

Questions:

1. Battery Type: Were the oem batteries AGM or lead acid in 2006? BMW parts department quoted only lead acid batteries ( about 250 plus tax ), but Interstate quoted me AGM ( about the same price ). I assuming the BMW guys would know best. Anyone?

2. Registration: I installed a new battery (lead acid ) this morning from Batteries Plus (Duracell, made by East Penn ) and it works fine so far. However, I tried to register the new battery with my ECS tuning scan tool and I get an error telling me it cannot connect the DME because terminal 15 is not on or something. Anyone familiar with that? What is terminal 15?

Thanks!! If I can't figure this out, I'll just pay the BMW Service Dept. battery registration tax and be done with this. Good gosh - no reason you shouldn't be able to do this from the drivers seat control center.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I believe only the M3's got the AGMs back in the day, and the batteries were black, not white....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Very useful for BMW to add registration to their needless list of dealer only servicing. Don't get carried away with the battery registration. What it does is this.
The IBS is more than a sensor it is also a processor storing parameters that it sends to the DME. The DME controls the voltage output of the alternator. BMW has not posted the numbers for the % of improvement of non registered BMWs. There are members out there that have never registered their battery and all it does is shorten the battery life an unknown amount. Sure sounds like a parasitic loss and they are a pain to track down given the trunk needs to be open to do this...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Sgt Fox
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
I think terminal 15 is having the ignition on but not running. Try again hitting the start button twice but not starting the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
Ok. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam everywhere but I'm still having trouble finding some clear information. So I'm having trouble with my battery draining out easily and the car not starting. A 2006 325xi wagon I purchase in June. The car had an Interstate lead acid battery and not the OEM - so it has been changed. The day I bought the car my kids were playing with all the power windows and seats and drained it out in an afternoon. I load tested the Interstate battery then and it passed. However, it was dead the other day for basically not reason but a few short trips the previous day. I have some concern about possible parasitic drain or something, so I don't want to drop extra cash on an OEM battery right now.

Questions:

1. Battery Type: Were the oem batteries AGM or lead acid in 2006? BMW parts department quoted only lead acid batteries ( about 250 plus tax ), but Interstate quoted me AGM ( about the same price ). I assuming the BMW guys would know best. Anyone?

2. Registration: I installed a new battery (lead acid ) this morning from Batteries Plus (Duracell, made by East Penn ) and it works fine so far. However, I tried to register the new battery with my ECS tuning scan tool and I get an error telling me it cannot connect the DME because terminal 15 is not on or something. Anyone familiar with that? What is terminal 15?

Thanks!! If I can't figure this out, I'll just pay the BMW Service Dept. battery registration tax and be done with this. Good gosh - no reason you shouldn't be able to do this from the drivers seat control center.
Check out your regional section to see if someone with an obd2 cable and inpa can check to see what AH rating battery your car was "coded" for.

I'm willing to guess you don't have a correctly coded battery (easy fix if you have a local coder who will code/register the battery and turn on the common convience features of the car for $50.

go back to the store where you purchase the new battery and ask them:
1) Is this an AGM or non-AGM battery?
2) What is the AH rating of this battery?

with those two pieces of info you are set to get your car coded. If they have no idea what to tell u the AH rating is, ask them:
1) What size group is the battery? H6, H7, H8, something else?
2) what is the RC (Reserve Capacity) of this battery? You can calculate the AH from the RC

AH = (RC / 2) + 16
round that number up or down to the neatest 10th's and that is what you code the car as.

For example, if the battery is an 84 AH, i would code the car as an 80 AH profile.
if the battery was a 85 AH, i would round up to a 90 AH profile to code the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Check alternator sounds like that might be the culprit
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post

Questions:

I'd run an alternator test on it.

The OEM battery was a led/acid battery 720 amp

No AGM's were installed in those days unless it was an M3

Best battery for your $$$ is an AutoZone, Duralast Gold.

I've had mine for 3 plus years, no issues.

You don't need an AGM unless your running a serious after mkt stereo that has a GPS etc.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #8
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

AGM battery is also less outgassing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny View Post
AGM battery is also less outgassing.
AGM batteries do not vent, they are sealed.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
johnson47376
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
AGM batteries do not vent, they are sealed.

-Kevin
I don't believe this is 100% true as my AGM battery is vented.

AGM is a type of lead acid battery. I only say this incase you go to a store and the salesman is a "know-it-all" and tries to make you feel dumb. Personal experience with this.

The standard batteries that you find in many cars are wet cell aka flooded.
Pure Stg2 Turbo/ Pure inlet/ GFB DV /Fuel-it Stg2 LPFP/BMS intake/ JB4 ISO BMS BEF/AR Design DP/ ER CP/Wagner FMIC/ Wavetrac LSD/BMW PE/ KW Street Comfort / MusicarNW Level Two Audio Upgrade/CDV delete/3000K HID Fogs/ N20 plugs/ JB4 BT Rev3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Fox View Post
I think terminal 15 is having the ignition on but not running. Try again hitting the start button twice but not starting the car.
^ Terminal 15 is active when the ignition is switched on (engine not necessarily running)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Love this site.

Helpful info all in one thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson47376 View Post
I don't believe this is 100% true as my AGM battery is vented.

AGM is a type of lead acid battery. I only say this incase you go to a store and the salesman is a "know-it-all" and tries to make you feel dumb. Personal experience with this.

The standard batteries that you find in many cars are wet cell aka flooded.
"Even though your batteries [AGM] are normally sealed, they actually do have a venting system integrated into the case top. In the event of an overcharge condition, it is possible for excess pressure to build up inside your battery. Your new batteries are equipped with check valves that are engineered to open at between 2-3 PSI depending upon the specific brand. What will be expelled is hydrogen gas, and you want to vent that as it is quite explosive."

The venting you see is a safeguard, under normal operations the battery remains in a sealed state.

-Kevin
Appreciate 1