E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Secondary Fuel Filtration

01-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Secondary Fuel Filtration

Is anyone else running an added on micron filter after the factory fuel filter? In light of 2 of my injectors failing last week, I plan on adding as much filtration as possible.

I think I remember finding a thread relating to this before I purchased the car last year but am having trouble finding it now. I could have sworn it was TDIwyse or Iaknown who had a thread on it but I searched all of their posts and came up with nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions or can link one of the threads for me it would be greatly appreciated. I have an idea of where I can mount the filter in the bay before the HPFP. But I would like to see someone else's set up for reference and also know what filters they are running and their experiences with them.

Post up what you have for me! Thanks as always gentlemen!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...15#post5913315

Would this happen to be the thread you're looking for? Sounds like a good enough idea to me. Just curious, but how often do you go between fuel filter swaps?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...15#post5913315

Would this happen to be the thread you're looking for? Sounds like a good enough idea to me. Just curious, but how often do you go between fuel filter swaps?
Thanks Torqu3! Exactly what I was looking for.

I swap the fuel filter every 10k miles with my oil. I only use OEM filters since I have a 25% discount from my local dealer on parts, but Bosch filters are OK too -- same part #'s. I also fill the filter with LiquiMoly Diesel Purge before installing. Granted, I've changed the oil and filters once since I've owned the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

That's a pretty accelerated schedule on the fuel filter. Is the diesel that bad by you? Also, how'd you get that deal at the dealership. My dealer is pretty good on pricing parts, so 25% off would keep me buying parts from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Fuel filter every 10k? Eek. What kind of shit fuel do you have around you that warrants that?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

the TDI guys have a bolt on 2 micron return line filter.. in the TDI the HPFP dumps into the unfiltered side and the return line gets its fuel from the unfiltered side and when the HPFP goes out it throws metal into the filter and returns it to the tank which gets sucked up in the lift pump and trashes the entire system.. if the return line got fuel from the filtered side at least the tank side would stay isolated from the rest....

The return line filter is a great idea for and CR

I know when I was looking at the cummins 2500 truck it was pretty common to do the fuel filter with the oil change, so hearing people want to do it on a car that calls for every third oil change does not alarm me...

VW wants the fuel filter changed every 2nd oil change (20k) and they want the DSG trans serviced every 4th oil change (40k)

??? 10k 20k 30k who knows.. with as sensitive as the injectors are on any CR motor and as sub par as diesel is in the states I have no issues filtering up and changing away.. At least with a return filter you know all of the fuel going to the tank will be clean and more than likely a return line filter would probably need to be changed every few years if that..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
That's a pretty accelerated schedule on the fuel filter. Is the diesel that bad by you? Also, how'd you get that deal at the dealership. My dealer is pretty good on pricing parts, so 25% off would keep me buying parts from them.
I have a lot of friends who have diesel trucks and their recommendation is to change the fuel filter with every oil change. For an extra $30 every oil change I figure it to be cheap insurance. From the looks of it, it hasn't worked out but I've owned this car for roughly 100k miles. No where in BMW's database at the dealer does it show that the injectors were replaced on my car. However, I found illegible writing on one of the fuel hard lines. I'm thinking at least one has been replaced at one point.

From what I have found, we have some of the worst diesel in the US in my region. Which is strange because there is a BP refinery in Hammond. I try to get my diesel from a local station called Country Mark as they do not have any bio blended in. The BP's up here are listed as "biodiesel" pumps and no one who works there seems to know the percentage. Biodiesel is known to clog these injectors up as I'm sure you know.

I opened a shop account using my federal Tax ID from my business. My family has also bought a lot of cars through this dealer and I know a lot of the people who work there personally. Maybe try to build a relationship with the parts manager at the dealer and see if they'll make an account for you or allow you to use a local shop's discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Fuel filter every 10k? Eek. What kind of shit fuel do you have around you that warrants that?
I live in Northwest Indiana, diesel fuel isn't very popular in the US among the oil companies and gas stations because it is less profitable. Most fuel here is blended like shit or has a ton of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
the TDI guys have a bolt on 2 micron return line filter.. in the TDI the HPFP dumps into the unfiltered side and the return line gets its fuel from the unfiltered side and when the HPFP goes out it throws metal into the filter and returns it to the tank which gets sucked up in the lift pump and trashes the entire system.. if the return line got fuel from the filtered side at least the tank side would stay isolated from the rest....

The return line filter is a great idea for and CR

I know when I was looking at the cummins 2500 truck it was pretty common to do the fuel filter with the oil change, so hearing people want to do it on a car that calls for every third oil change does not alarm me...

VW wants the fuel filter changed every 2nd oil change (20k) and they want the DSG trans serviced every 4th oil change (40k)

??? 10k 20k 30k who knows.. with as sensitive as the injectors are on any CR motor and as sub par as diesel is in the states I have no issues filtering up and changing away.. At least with a return filter you know all of the fuel going to the tank will be clean and more than likely a return line filter would probably need to be changed every few years if that..
Do you currently have a secondary filter installed on your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
Do you currently have a secondary filter installed on your car?

I do not yet.. I just got mine in November and still doing homework on how most of the stuff works...

from what I can tell so far it seems to be less complex than my TDI???
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

I've been running a stanadyne fuel manager (FM100) for many years now. Use the same thing on my truck, so I already have those filters.

This is a picture of the original installation, but I don't have a picture available of the way it's been configured for the last 2 year... I moved the water/methanol pump to the back and put the FM100 on that bracket I was using to hold the pump.
Attached Images

01-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I've been running a stanadyne fuel manager (FM100) for many years now. Use the same thing on my truck, so I already have those filters.

This is a picture of the original installation, but I don't have a picture available of the way it's been configured for the last 2 year... I moved the water/methanol pump to the back and put the FM100 on that bracket I was using to hold the pump.
Is your filter in line with the stock filter or is it a return filter? I'm going to be tearing my car apart this weekend sometime to do the injectors. Would like to get an idea of which hoses are feed and which are return then start planning my new filtration. If you have any contributions on how you did it or a diagram of the fuel lines that would save me time.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is your filter in line with the stock filter or is it a return filter? I'm going to be tearing my car apart this weekend sometime to do the injectors. Would like to get an idea of which hoses are feed and which are return then start planning my new filtration. If you have any contributions on how you did it or a diagram of the fuel lines that would save me time.
In line. Fuel goes through the OEM filter first, then the FM100 as a final filter.

I don't remember all the details, but there's lengths of fuel hose and hose clamps and some 45 deg adapters for making bends around to reconnect with where the oem line post oem filter...

You'll definitely want to run the lift pump to bleed the system if doing this. Lots of air to bleed when running lengths of new line and the new filter...
      01-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In line. Fuel goes through the OEM filter first, then the FM100 as a final filter.

I don't remember all the details, but there's lengths of fuel hose and hose clamps and some 45 deg adapters for making bends around to reconnect with where the oem line post oem filter...

You'll definitely want to run the lift pump to bleed the system if doing this. Lots of air to bleed when running lengths of new line and the new filter...
Have you had any injector related issues since the final filter install? I notice you're from the Midwest as well, wondering if you get the same diesel supply as those of us in Chicago (complete shit). Do you run any fuel additives?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have you had any injector related issues since the final filter install? I notice you're from the Midwest as well, wondering if you get the same diesel supply as those of us in Chicago (complete shit). Do you run any fuel additives?
No fuel systems issue. I do you use Power Service White bottle additive year round in all my diesel engines.

However, I do not have direct proof the additives and extra fuel filtration are doing anything beneficial for my specific application. I have on occasion over the last 20 years found water collected in diesel fuel filters when draining. I view it more as an extra layer of protection that could be beneficial in certain circumstances that are beyond my control (water contamination, particle contamination, gel point, low lubricity, etc.). Some of these issues would be cumulative over time, some would be fairly immediate. It's just not feasible to verify the quality of fuel at every fillup...
      02-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #14
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Hey TDI, I know its been a while but im really considering doing something like this, have couple questions:
#1 Do you have to take intake manifold out for the secondary filter to HPFP line installation?

#2 If not Stanadyne what would be your system of a choice?

#3 did you replace line after OEM fuel filter to SECONDARY completely?

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-08-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Hey TDI, I know its been a while but im really considering doing something like this, have couple questions:
#1 Do you have to take intake manifold out for the secondary filter to HPFP line installation?

#2 If not Stanadyne what would be your system of a choice?

#3 did you replace line after OEM fuel filter to SECONDARY completely?
#1: Nope.

#2: There are lots of good options, but I only have experience with the Stanadyne setup.

#3: Nope. That line has a section of rubber hose that normally connects to the OEM filter output nipple, but I'm now using it as a connection point for the return flow of the FM100 output connection. The output of the OEM filter flows into the input of the FM100.
      02-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
Whitbread
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Caterpillar 1R0750 fuel filters are 2 micron secondary filter that's well loved in the aftermarket world and universal heads with a 1"-14 thread can be purchased quite readily.
Appreciate 1
335stoner220.00
      02-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
#1: Nope.

#2: There are lots of good options, but I only have experience with the Stanadyne setup.

#3: Nope. That line has a section of rubber hose that normally connects to the OEM filter output nipple, but I'm now using it as a connection point for the return flow of the FM100 output connection. The output of the OEM filter flows into the input of the FM100.
I know how it looks in that area but im so lost here? #3, you pretty much put secondary in between the OEM filter and OEM line AFTER filter?

Black is OEM filter to secondary (Custom rubber line)
Red is Secondary return using OEM line after OEM filter
GREEN - How you connect it from there to the HPFP? Or is it simply just another custom rubber line?

Isn't this set up is simply saying is not efficient (wasting too much hose/lines)

Unless there is 2 outputs from your secondary one back to the tank and one to the HPFP
SO LOST...

ALSO,
#1 Is there any reason you didn't go straight from SECONDARY to HPFP

#2 Any recomendation of where to get FM100 for a good price?)

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-12-2017 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
I know how it looks in that area but im so lost here? #3, you pretty much put secondary in between the OEM filter and OEM line AFTER filter?

Black is OEM filter to secondary (Custom rubber line)
Red is Secondary return using OEM line after OEM filter
GREEN - How you connect it from there to the HPFP? Or is it simply just another custom rubber line?

Isn't this set up is simply saying is not efficient (wasting too much hose/lines)

Unless there is 2 outputs from your secondary one back to the tank and one to the HPFP
SO LOST...

ALSO,
#1 Is there any reason you didn't go straight from SECONDARY to HPFP

#2 Any recomendation of where to get FM100 for a good price?)
I modified your drawing to try to explain what I did. There's lots of ways you could do this, and I'm not suggesting what I did is the best way.

The OEM line from the filter output up to where it connects has a unique interface on that end. I reused that whole piece of line to make it simple. The location of the FM100 makes it easy to change the filter.
Attached Images

02-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Is the fm100 enough flow? I see its rated to 350hp.while the fm1000 is up to 600hp
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #20
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Is the fm100 enough flow? I see its rated to 350hp.while the fm1000 is up to 600hp
I haven't yet found it to be a limitation. At least for quarter mile type full fueling tests.
      02-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I haven't yet found it to be a limitation. At least for quarter mile type full fueling tests.
Would you recommend installing one on a semi stocky car? Where did you get your system?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #22
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Would you recommend installing one on a semi stocky car? Where did you get your system?
Looking at my previous orders, it appears I have primarily purchased from this place: https://thedieselstore.com/catalogse...esult/?q=fm100

As a rule, I try not to recommend any modifications to anyone else...

Personally, I like the idea of being able to separate and drain water out of diesel fuel filters. All my previous diesel engines were setup this way. And many years ago I became convinced from CAT studies on high pressure diesel systems that ~2-3um filtration was a good threshold for long life injector health.

I briefly looked for an old reference I had on the oem fuel filter but didn't find it anymore... I recall it was rated for ~8um nominal, but my memory might be off. If anyone has a current reference on the oem filter that shows the micron filtration level, it would be interesting to see.