E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Smog/Emissions "Checkpoints"

07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Nar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Exclamation Smog/Emissions "Checkpoints"

Yes, you read that correctly.

Some of you may have heard about these "checkpoints", especially if you live in California. And also from what I've heard, they are spreading throughout the country.

I've heard from many people that these checkpoints are "not mandatory" and it is only for a "survey". Is this true? Can you refuse to have your car checked?

And if you have experienced one of these checkpoints, give us some input and the steps they take into checking your car.

I hope us cat-less people never run into one of these
      07-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarekN54 View Post
Yes, you read that correctly.

Some of you may have heard about these "checkpoints", especially if you live in California. And also from what I've heard, they are spreading throughout the country.

I've heard from many people that these checkpoints are "not mandatory" and it is only for a "survey". Is this true? Can you refuse to have your car checked?

And if you have experienced one of these checkpoints, give us some input and the steps they take into checking your car.

I hope us cat-less people never run into one of these
Well here in Colorado those smog/emissions checkpoints actually take your license plate information and registers it within their database. When the time comes up to get your tags and you get the little letter in the mail, it will tell you "passed road side emission testing" or get one saying "emissions test required". If you get the second it must mean you did not pass road side testing and they want you to go and get one at the facility. Not a survey in Colorado, only way to refuse is not to drive by one. Two of my cars passed on it and I did not have to go in a get a emissions test. Not sure on how California does it, but possibly something similar.
Appreciate 0