E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fault code information

06-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
DanT81
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Fault code information

Hello, hoping someone can shed some light for me, I have spent a while on google and having no luck. I have a 2008 328i and I'm getting the following fault code: A6DE: Heating Mirrors / Mirror Heating Links / Spoiler Rear, Relay Close (that is the exact description from Carly). The power mirror adjustment controls work fine just no heat.
I'm also getting 2DED: Power management, closed-circuit protection. not sure if it may be related or not.

I find the fuse diagram in the car rather useless with the icons and lack of descriptions. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what fuse/relay to check?
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT81 View Post
...2008 328i...A6DE...The power mirror adjustment controls work fine just no heat...also 2DED...not sure if it may be related or not. I find the fuse diagram in the car rather useless...
Carly:
https://tenor.com/view/if-you-cant-s...l-gif-10430025

Fault Code Definitions per BMW Fault Code Lookup:
A6DE | JBE: Mirror/washer nozzle heating, left | jbbf87
2DED | DME: Power management, closed-circuit current violation | msv80

Have you had any issue with battery drain overnight, over 2 days unused, etc?

I have NO IDEA what relationship the heated washer jet has to any mirror, but here is the TIS circuit diagram for the washer jet heaters, controlled by the JBE/JBBF Module (Junction Box Electronic Module at bottom of Fuse Box or Junction Box:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/upOxh9C

As you see from the circuit diagram, the two washer jet heaters are powered directly by the JBE (A4010a) when ignition is ON (Terminal 15 is on/active as represented by the small "15" above Pins #28 & #31 of Connector X14270 of the JBBF. That means there is NO dedicated fuse related to the jet

I don't know what the correct interpretation of that code is, (or even if it actually relates to the washer jet heater as opposed to mirror heater), but I would check fault details or Freeze Frame Data to see if there is any Mileage/km at which the code was set (does Carly even DO THAT?), Outside Temperature, or any other clue as to WHEN the code was saved. I assume from your description there is NO change in function of anything in the car (at least in warm weather ;-).

Here's the TIS Outside Mirror circuit diagram for YOUR vehicle, and it also shows power provided directly to the mirror heaters by JBE Module, Pins #29 & #32 of the SAME connector, X14270:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-side/vBs9cBm

That diagram suggests to me that each mirror unit has its own "thermostatically-controlled" ground switch that completes the circuit when the switch in the mirror (like a bi-metal contact) completes the ground.

ANYONE know WHAT switch or conditions activates washer jet heaters? For example, do you have to have Rear Window Heater switch active? You might check your Owner's Manual for that, which could be a clue to this code.

For NOW, I would simply CLEAR the code and see if it comes back.

Since the 2DED code relates to "quiescent current" or excessive current draw when Modules are supposed to be "Asleep", it is possible that a heater fault (jet or mirror) could be related, but it is NOT immediately apparent to me how, since both of those "heater" components are powered directly by the JBE, presumably OFF when ignition is off (mirrors don't clearly show that).

Same as above, clear code and see if it comes back. If heaters are giving fault codes, and drawing current after shutdown, in hot weather, then I would start investigating how to disconnect ONE heater element at a time (on LEFT side) to determine cause. Don't see an easy answer if either code returns.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
DanT81
Canada
Rep

wow thanks for the detailed info. I have cleared the codes and they both came back on. I haven't had any battery issues so far, I did put in a new battery in november, was told last year I needed a new battery and when the cold weather hit I started getting the date/time reset in the morning.
My driver side halo bulb went out last year and when I put in the new battery it came back on but has since gone out again, I have a pair of new bulbs here just haven't bothered yet, starting to think there's some electrical gremlins in there...
I've had the absolute worst possible luck with this car I don't know how much more I'm going to bother with it...
the carly error reports don't really show a lot of information but I think I can setup some parameters to monitor while I'm driving.
I'll update if I'm able to get anything figured out.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
DanT81
Canada
Rep

the other shoe dropped today lol...
ABEC code popped up something about the stereo, haven't even bothered to check yet because I also got a CEL and 2A87: Outlet VANOS, mechanics...
no loss of power or rough idle so I'm hoping it's just one of the 2 solenoids.
Appreciate 0