E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear PDC sensors not turning on?

05-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
aquik92
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Rear PDC sensors not turning on?

Hi all,

recently bought an e92 330i. Marvelous engine but im being let down by electrical gremlins.

When selecting R (auto trans) the PDC, the auto tilting of the passenger mirror and the visual aid in iDrive dont turn on, or else, turn on sporadically. More often than not, nothing of the above operates. I have tested the individual PDC module and sensors themselves via INPA and showed all are working as they should. Its just not registering when they SHOULD turn on, aka when reverse is selected.

I went to the stealership and got quoted 550euros (im from malta) plus labour to change out the gear position sensor which is not quote unquote showing no signal. I have had no problems with gear and the actual transmission, and the P D R and N always show on the dash.

Any idea what might be the issue? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquik92 View Post
Hi all,

recently bought an e92 330i. Marvelous engine but im being let down by electrical gremlins.

When selecting R (auto trans) the PDC, the auto tilting of the passenger mirror and the visual aid in iDrive dont turn on, or else, turn on sporadically. More often than not, nothing of the above operates. I have tested the individual PDC module and sensors themselves via INPA and showed all are working as they should. Its just not registering when they SHOULD turn on, aka when reverse is selected.

I went to the stealership and got quoted 550euros (im from malta) plus labour to change out the gear position sensor which is not quote unquote showing no signal. I have had no problems with gear and the actual transmission, and the P D R and N always show on the dash.

Any idea what might be the issue? Thanks
Just taking a guess but:

PDC physical button? toggle it on and off if you have it

If you have Idrive I've read it can be disabled via a setting

Have you checked fuses? I think F28 Behind glove compartment is for PDC and something else

Do you have ISTA+ as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
aquik92
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

so, I dont have a physical PDC button as mine are on the rear only so its no go.

Then, I know that the sensors themselves work, together with idrive visual as i have tested them in INPA, theres a setting called activate, and they all work.

For the idrive setting you mean the pdc visual cue? thats on, thats why i know nothings working.

I didnt check the fuse, so ill do that. But a blown fuse would mean nothing would work in INPA aswell no?

and finally i dont have ISTA
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Gure
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 Pre-lci

I have the same issue, today I fixed the broken cables in trunk and I thought my pdc will come back with reverse lights, but when the lights started to work again the pdc still not. So, me too looking for the answer.
I checked the fuse F21(as it suppose to be pdc fuse) and its not burned.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
Gure
Rep

P.S my friend connected the obd to clear the frm block for rear lights to come back and also checked the pdc block it showed the life. So the pdc block for me is good (i guess)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gure View Post
P.S my friend connected the obd to clear the frm block for rear lights to come back and also checked the pdc block it showed the life. So the pdc block for me is good (i guess)
Check which PDC sensor isn't working, for me it was middle left I think so I removed the bumper and used a multimeter to check between PDC sensor and where it connected to boot and sure enough there was enough break between PDC and boot.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
Gure
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Check which PDC sensor isn't working, for me it was middle left I think so I removed the bumper and used a multimeter to check between PDC sensor and where it connected to boot and sure enough there was enough break between PDC and boot.

I told you diagnostics show all sensors are okey, when you turn on pdc through obd all works like it used to, but it cannot be turned on when reverse is engaged like it used to. This is where the problem.
Appreciate 0