E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > RE: M3 control arms and aftermarket suspension

08-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #23
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Get solid subframe bushings in the back no NVH. If you go solid diff you will get diff whine.

Use m3 rear arms all around including the rear if you want the 'best' rear suspension setup. You can switch every bushing out to sealed ball joints on top of that.

All coilovers reviewed and ranked: google: "Top Coilovers for the BMW 3 Series E90/E92 - Mod"

What I did if you want to see what all the parts look like stock and aftermarket: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...5#post25439025
I'm a noob and I am also looking into refreshing my suspension. I've been reading through a few different threads on the subject and one acronym keeps coming up that I can't work out... NVH. Can you tell me what it is?
Thanx.
      08-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #24
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
I'm a noob and I am also looking into refreshing my suspension. I've been reading through a few different threads on the subject and one acronym keeps coming up that I can't work out... NVH. Can you tell me what it is?
Thanx.
Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

Everyone has different levels of what they consider NVH acceptable. So remember that when people talk about suspensions etc.

Solid rear subframe bushings add ZERO NVH and should be done on every car in my opinion. Newer BMWs come with solid bushings stock.

Once you have doubled the tq you at putting down to the wheels the stock suspension/bushings really are not up to the job.

Oh and everyone should get a real differential. The moment you do CODE OUT THE E DIFF. Shit will try and kill you making your rear ass end sway all over the place.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917426.00
      08-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #25
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Everyone has different levels of what they consider NVH acceptable. So remember that when people talk about suspensions etc.

Solid rear subframe bushings add ZERO NVH and should be done on every car in my opinion. Newer BMWs come with solid bushings stock.

Once you have doubled the tq you at putting down to the wheels the stock suspension/bushings really are not up to the job.

Oh and everyone should get a real differential. The moment you do CODE OUT THE E DIFF. Shit will try and kill you making your rear ass end sway all over the place.
You mean an LSD?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #26
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Y'all mean like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you:

1) B12 kit
2) M3 control arms (F&R)
3) Eibach swaybars
4) M3 differential & subframe bushings
5) Hotchkiss adjustable swaybar links
5) Meyle HD Tie Rods

Plus Redo the rest of the various bushings/ control arms of the rear subframe.

I think you will have a very nice set up that will corner on a dime, but not be too rough for a DD.
Duly noted, thanks! I was actually looking at all that stuff already but hadn't known about the tie rods, do they make that much of a difference?

Quote:
Get solid subframe bushings in the back no NVH. If you go solid diff you will get diff whine.

Use m3 rear arms all around including the rear if you want the 'best' rear suspension setup. You can switch every bushing out to sealed ball joints on top of that.

All coilovers reviewed and ranked: google: "Top Coilovers for the BMW 3 Series E90/E92 - Mod"

What I did if you want to see what all the parts look like stock and aftermarket: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...5#post25439025
ahh damn, this is all great info but I think I'm settled on a b12 pro-kit, just something simple to drop in. I don't think i'll be tweaking the e92 too often and I'm about to do a full GC build on my other car so I'll be too occupied with that

But definitely great to know about the subframe bushing materials! Cabin quietness is something i wanted to somewhat preserve, that whine would have driven me crazy. Was about to do the bushing refresh soon so this was perfect timing thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #27
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:

Thanx Man. I just couldn't make anything fit with NVH in my head. It all makes sense now.
So far I am completely stock under the hood. Both rear shocks are shot and the struts appear original so have over 160k kms on them. They will all be replaced along with subframe bushings before I start adding power under the hood. All the power in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get around a corner. All of the suspension bushings seemed to pass the "pry bar" test so I'm not too concerned about them yet. I'll upgrade them as time and money allows. My brakes are in good shape although stock. Again, upgrades as I can afford it.
I've only had the car about a month now so I'll have to get a feel for it before I go for the xdelete.

Thanx again.
      08-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #28
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Thanx Man. I just couldn't make anything fit with NVH in my head. It all makes sense now.
So far I am completely stock under the hood. Both rear shocks are shot and the struts appear original so have over 160k kms on them. They will all be replaced along with subframe bushings before I start adding power under the hood. All the power in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get around a corner. All of the suspension bushings seemed to pass the "pry bar" test so I'm not too concerned about them yet. I'll upgrade them as time and money allows. My brakes are in good shape although stock. Again, upgrades as I can afford it.
I've only had the car about a month now so I'll have to get a feel for it before I go for the xdelete.

Thanx again.
Exact same boat here, but one day we'll get in and everything will be newly refreshed. Looking forward to that drive for sure
Appreciate 2
Buug95917426.00
3PedalJake2613.50
      08-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thormessiah View Post
You mean an LSD?
Yes. The stock open diff is well...an open diff. They only gave the m3 a 'real' differential.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #30
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Y'all mean like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you:

1) B12 kit
2) M3 control arms (F&R)
3) Eibach swaybars
4) M3 differential & subframe bushings
5) Hotchkiss adjustable swaybar links
5) Meyle HD Tie Rods

Plus Redo the rest of the various bushings/ control arms of the rear subframe.

I think you will have a very nice set up that will corner on a dime, but not be too rough for a DD.
Duly noted, thanks! I was actually looking at all that stuff already but hadn't known about the tie rods, do they make that much of a difference?

Quote:

ahh damn, this is all great info but I think I'm settled on a b12 pro-kit, just something simple to drop in. I don't think i'll be tweaking the e92 too often and I'm about to do a full GC build on my other car so I'll be too occupied with that

But definitely great to know about the subframe bushing materials! Cabin quietness is something i wanted to somewhat preserve, that whine would have driven me crazy. Was about to do the bushing refresh soon so this was perfect timing thanks!
The meyle HD tie rods will tighten up the steering feel even more and last longer.

You can go with lemforder, which is the OEM provider, for a lot cheaper I think. I wouldn't fault you either way.

I just thing it would behove you to not change them out while you are in there changing out the 2 other control arms.
Appreciate 0