E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW cooling system is a POS rant

01-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #111
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I don't understand why they are so popular to be honest. Every one that I've seen/driven hasn't been anything special. My friend's Forester isn't really all that impressive in the snow unless it has snow tires (even my 328i is good with snow tires), and they have a lot of expensive repairs (head gaskets, transmissions, piston rings/oil consumption, etc) all while returning marginal fuel economy from a 4 cylinder.
They are supposedly the Japanese Volvo because they push safety but its nonsense, pretty much all cars are safe now even Toyotas and Mazdas which were death traps for the longest time and Volvo's look and perform way better; so there is no comparison. Its for people that just want to save money.

I agree, the Subaru's in the past have not been reliable, and they drove terrible; too early to tell if the new models are reliable. People like the image Subaru pushes and the are very affordable and are a Japanese car that is not Honda or Toyota so people lap it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #112
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Ours got like 19mpg (mostly highway), lol. Terrible for a gutless 4 cyl in a 3600lb boat. The X5 with a V8 nearly gets that..

I still can't believe a bank loaned somebody $5,000 to buy a 10 year old, 200k mile Subaru, but i was glad to be rid of it!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #113
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
They are supposedly the Japanese Volvo because they push safety but its nonsense, pretty much all cars are safe now even Toyotas and Mazdas which were death traps for the longest time and Volvo's look and perform way better; so there is no comparison. Its for people that just want to save money.

I agree, the Subaru's in the past have not been reliable, and they drove terrible; too early to tell if the new models are reliable. People like the image Subaru pushes and the are very affordable and are a Japanese car that is not Honda or Toyota so people lap it up.
They seem like the worst of all worlds in retrospect. Mediocre is what people areafter I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #114
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Ours got like 19mpg (mostly highway), lol. Terrible for a gutless 4 cyl in a 3600lb boat. The X5 with a V8 nearly gets that..

I still can't believe a bank loaned somebody $5,000 to buy a 10 year old, 200k mile Subaru, but i was glad to be rid of it!
😂 @ sale price. Good resale value! That might be their best attribute?

And yeah, my tiny, sort of light 9-2x got like 23mpg on the highways. Crap for such a small econobox! Any around town driving drove that into the teens right away.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #115
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #116
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I just don’t get the subie craze either. My Saab 9-2x (Subaru wrx) felt like the cheapest car in the world. It wasn’t that reliable (blown shock and axle) wither. Terrible 4 cylinder gas mileage and felt like it was 10 years older than it was.

I have car friends that have owned BMWs and yet they still love the subies.

The newer outback is finally a decent feeling car, but that buzzy four banger couples to the CVT is the epitome of boring.

I’d rather have a Mazda CX-5 anyday.
The only Subaru I'd drive would be a WRX, and even that just doesn't seem worth the price. A friend's sister bought one brand new in 2016 with quite a few options. The price was into BMW 3-series territory and while the car is quick, it just feels like a tin can with a mediocre interior. It's already drinking oil with under 40k miles, but Subaru claims a quart every 1000 miles is normal.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #117
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I'll never forget test driving the original WRX - my buddy put the key in the trunk lock to open it up, and the sound reverberated through the whole car. Talk about a tin can..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #118
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

On the topic of WRX's, i had the opportunity to drive my brother-in-law's 2015 6mt WRX last summer. It's decently quick, especially up to about 50 mph or so. It definitely doesnt feel faster than my 335i, though. I think it would be a fantastic winter car except for how uncomfortable I found the interior to be. My interior is lightyears ahead of the one in his WRX. That's not really a huge surprise, though, considering the difference in MSRP between both cars when new.

My winter beater of choice is a 95 Ford F150, but if I wanted to get the mileage if a WRX I would opt for a B7 A4, which is a better car, IMO, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #119
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
The only Subaru I'd drive would be a WRX, and even that just doesn't seem worth the price. A friend's sister bought one brand new in 2016 with quite a few options. The price was into BMW 3-series territory and while the car is quick, it just feels like a tin can with a mediocre interior. It's already drinking oil with under 40k miles, but Subaru claims a quart every 1000 miles is normal.

Exactly!! The car is a nice option for winter and all that but the interior is so chep! My sister has a WRX and she tell me take it for a spin and it's nice driving but all the plastic and arghhh just cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #120
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
My winter beater of choice is a 95 Ford F150, but if I wanted to get the mileage if a WRX I would opt for a B7 A4, which is a better car, IMO, anyway.
My winter beater is my 335is
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #121
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
It's already drinking oil with under 40k miles, but Subaru claims a quart every 1000 miles is normal.
Where have I heard that tune before? Oh yeah, Audi / VW... another rip off company.
Appreciate 1
de Witt18.00
      01-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #122
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
yeah but at what expense ? You can keep anything well for 15 years if you throw tons of money.. so i mean there are a few ways to look at this. Besides the point is people usually keep cars for 5 years. BMWs are notorious for not being reliable within 5 years

People own 1940's spitfire.. looks amazing too..after a fortune of upkeep
I keep a log with expenses for all my cars. My 88 and 91 M5 do not cost a fortune (not even close) to operate and maintain, but I also have nearly 20 years experience with both so I understand the chassis quite well.

Now onto vintage fixed-wing aircraft? What is next? Boats?

Quote:
I made a reference to safety because my point is reliability is NOT a feature. You missed my point. Obviously there are other makes with safety issues.. no one is disputing that..

They all sell parts and make money of selling part OBVIOUSLY ! BMW does it more. in my opinion. Japanese makes take reliability more seriously as a business model.
BMW does it more? Your evidence?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #123
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand your argument.

Many Japanese manufacturers build cars with reliability as a top priority, while German cars tend to put handling and comfort as a priority. They just cater to different buyers, that's all.

I'm almost certain nobody on this forum bought a BMW for reliability reasons, I know I didn't. I bought it because working on cars is a hobby of mine and I enjoy how they drive. If I had no space or ability to DIY I'd probably own something else.

I just don't understand why people come on here to an enthusiast forum and complain about the reliability of BMWs. That is like me going onto Jeepforum and complaining about getting 16 mpg in my 19 year old Cherokee XJ that has the aerodynamics of a barn and has basically a tractor engine. It's just one of the downfalls of the vehicle, which ALL cars have.

If the reliability of the car frustrates you, then maybe you need to sell it and get something that makes you happy. Life is short, drive what you want.
I didnt buy it for reliability either. And although i hate that aspect. I still love the car. I dont fail to mention they are just not reliable. Unlike some people here that still insist they are just as reliable as Japanese cars. I just dont lie to myself. I know the strengths of the E90 very well. Reliability not one of them. Thats why i have an elantra. I can trust it to go to the moon. It has 120k. I have replaced NOTHING. When its on it sound like hybrid. It has zero personality. But it has a place in my family.

We need to be real. Give credit to E90 when credit is due and accept the increadible lack of reliability. Compared to todays A to B vehicles. After all e90 is not a vintage ferrari... It sure does break like one.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #124
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
My winter beater is my 335is
I'd just drive my 335i in the winter, but I live in a very rural area that doesn't get plowed nearly enough. Plus the pickup is great for hauling stuff for home improvement projects. The best thing about the beater truck, though, is that I don't have to worry about it getting scratched in the parking lot.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #125
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Witt View Post
BMW does it more? Your evidence?
I said its my opinion.. no one here is talking facts we are just expressing our opinions. Opinions dont require facts or evidence.. we are not in court lool
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #126
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I just don't understand why people come on here to an enthusiast forum and complain about the reliability of BMWs. That is like me going onto Jeepforum and complaining about getting 16 mpg in my 19 year old Cherokee XJ that has the aerodynamics of a barn and has basically a tractor engine. It's just one of the downfalls of the vehicle, which ALL cars have.

If the reliability of the car frustrates you, then maybe you need to sell it and get something that makes you happy. Life is short, drive what you want.
Again reliability is not a feature that is advartised like fuel economy. Reliability is a must. That is an important point we are conveniently putting aside. Its closely linked to safety.

As far as selling it i thought about it but not alot of people want them if you are not aware of that lool. They depreciatie like stale dounts. So it's hard to sell it. People stay away from them. Kinda stuck for a few years. Unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #127
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I said its my opinion.. no one here is talking facts we are just expressing our opinions. Opinions dont require facts or evidence.. we are not in court lool
I've been stating my opinion based on facts. I've posted the facts. You haven't. You keep saying the E90 is grossly unreliable, but you don't define what that means and what facts form the basis of your opinion. I use my car as my daily driver, which is 175 miles round trip, 5 days a week. Today it started just fine in 9 deg. F weather. It's a 12 year old car with very high mileage. So when you say your car is extremely unreliable I have difficulty understanding, since I've had the complete opposite experience.

You then bitch that the car is not sellable because "no one wants them", yet you are here on the internet saying the E90 is grossly unreliable with no substanitive data to back up that claim; so do you wonder why people "stay away from them"?
Appreciate 1
de Witt18.00
      01-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #128
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've been stating my opinion based on facts. I've posted the facts. You haven't. You keep saying the E90 is grossly unreliable, but you don't define what that means and what facts form the basis of your opinion. I use my car as my daily driver, which is 175 miles round trip, 5 days a week. Today it started just fine in 9 deg. F weather. It's a 12 year old car with very high mileage. So when you say your car is extremely unreliable I have difficulty understanding, since I've had the complete opposite experience.

You then bitch that the car is not sellable because "no one wants them", yet you are here on the internet saying the E90 is grossly unreliable with no substanitive data to back up that claim; so do you wonder why people "stay away from them"?
Your records are not facts of the e90 reliability... I hope u dont think that. They are ur personal experience. Facts means tons of data on many cars. Something u dont have. Ur personal experience is better documented than mine. It doesnt prove anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #129
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

The depreciation amount of these cars should tell you the story sir.. it tells everything u need to know. In canada the 335i sedan lost 60 percent of it's value in 4 years. I wonder why ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #130
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Your records are not facts of the e90 reliability... I hope u dont think that. They are ur personal experience. Facts means tons of data on many cars. Something u dont have. Ur personal experience is better documented than mine. It doesnt prove anything.
Yeah but when you give us nothing to go on it’s hard to give anything your write respect.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #131
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The depreciation amount of these cars should tell you the story sir.. it tells everything u need to know. In canada the 335i sedan lost 60 percent of it's value in 4 years. I wonder why ?
This is the story of almost every mass market, top of the range, import premium German car for the last 40 years. So?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #132
de Witt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA

Quote:

Appreciate 0