E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How to start tracking.. Need Help :)

12-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #23
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
I've spent some time researching classes. Nearest one is the Porsche school in Birmingham, AL, with the next one being Skip Barber Racing School at Road Atlanta or NOLA. They're all terribly expensive.

what does a car need to pass tech inspection for a basic track day? anything special?
Skip Barber's school is good but going in without the slightest track experience will be like drinking from a firehose. Take everyone's advice and participate in a few BMWCCA HPDE weekends, for the money they're a steal. And you'll see the vast difference between Novice and Advanced+ classes which should help calibrate your sense of racing skill and speeds since none of them are anywhere near fast enough to qualify for w2w racing, typically. Try a NASA HPDE for exposure to real w2w racing in between sessions, quite the eye opener.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #24
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
SA is also tested for roll bar/cage impact
Thanks, that's what I meant by multiple impacts, sorry I didn't clarify that.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #25
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
I am talking about any experience with dynamic driving and chassis handling, drag race doesn't give you any experience in things such as weight transition and spin recovery.

If I were you, I would read up some good books on performance driving to understand the basic physics in play and spend some time in driving sims. For someone of your level, it is much more cost effective than spending big bucks attending race schools.

By the way, I wouldn't waste money on tires yet. Even PSS is pretty crap for track use for this car once you pick up the pace, and the chances are you will be picking up another set of wheels as well if you are serious about this hobby. Just drive with what you have for now, and spend $2-300 on entry level full face helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Get a copy of Going Faster for an intro to the basics and a copy of Speed Secrets for insight into racing. Fast Car Physics is very helpful in providing a refresher on freshman physics as it applies to fast cars, helps cut through the bullshit and with planning modifications. And if you're a masochist there's always Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, definitely worth a read and there's a workbook of problems and answers that goes with it.
you guys are really making a bigger deal of this then it should be. He'll be fine in any novice class. its almost like you guys are trying to scare him away from this...

I'm not saying all of your suggestions are bad, they're a good idea and will help you become faster, but they're not a perquisite to get out on the track... in fact it can cause a newbie to over think things and not pay enough attention to the basics...

OP, just go out there, listen to your instructor, and remember you're out there to learn how to become a better and safer driver on track, not to race or pass the other guy.
Appreciate 3
      12-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #26
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
warmmilk Will probably run the Castrol then since I've used their products in the past and been impressed.
Torque RT700 is half the price and if you boil it you're doing it wrong, way wrong. And you can order it as needed directly from the manufacturer. No connection to them, just a satisfied customer. And the race team who does all the work on my car runs it exclusively and has for years.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #27
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Go to a local store and try them on... You can buy the best helmet out there, but if it doesn't fit properly for your head, it would be completely useless.
this is a great idea (I suggested it above) but not really available to everyone. OP is in Mississippi, I did some googling and couldn't find any race shops there that carry this kinda stuff. not saying they don't exist, just couldn't find any
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk
Quote:
I am talking about any experience with dynamic driving and chassis handling, drag race doesn't give you any experience in things such as weight transition and spin recovery.

If I were you, I would read up some good books on performance driving to understand the basic physics in play and spend some time in driving sims. For someone of your level, it is much more cost effective than spending big bucks attending race schools.

By the way, I wouldn't waste money on tires yet. Even PSS is pretty crap for track use for this car once you pick up the pace, and the chances are you will be picking up another set of wheels as well if you are serious about this hobby. Just drive with what you have for now, and spend $2-300 on entry level full face helmet.
Quote:
Get a copy of Going Faster for an intro to the basics and a copy of Speed Secrets for insight into racing. Fast Car Physics is very helpful in providing a refresher on freshman physics as it applies to fast cars, helps cut through the bullshit and with planning modifications. And if you're a masochist there's always Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, definitely worth a read and there's a workbook of problems and answers that goes with it.
you guys are really making a bigger deal of this then it should be. He'll be fine in any novice class. its almost like you guys are trying to scare him away from this...

I'm not saying all of your suggestions are bad, they're a good idea and will help you become faster, but they're not a perquisite to get out on the track... in fact it can cause a newbie to over think things and not pay enough attention to the basics...

OP, just go out there, listen to your instructor, and remember you're out there to learn how to become a better and safer driver on track, not to race or pass the other guy.
I am just offering it as a much not cost effective option than going to pro level race school. I understand everyone learns differently, but growing up playing racing sims has certainly helped me more than anything else during my first season.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #29
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

Nah, just helping with some pre-class homework.

Don't really need anything at all to go an HPDE, you're right. No race brake fluid, no special tires, just a safe car that meets the tech inspection requirements. And that form should be available at the BMWCCA site or that of the local chapter. BMW shops usually do the tech inspection for free, at least around here, ymmv.

Excellent advice. Rule number one, listen, listen, listen. Rule number two, see rule number one. Learning the track and not being lost takes at least a day if not a weekend. They usually say you should be able to drive the track in your mind's eye by the end of the first weekend. Until then it's pretty much overwhelming which is why it's recommended not to race, not to go as fast as possible, etc., just go at your pace, listen to the instructor, and learn. Speed comes with time and often the slowest at the beginning are the fastest in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #30
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Go to a local store and try them on... You can buy the best helmet out there, but if it doesn't fit properly for your head, it would be completely useless.
"Local store" lol have you been to Mississippi?

Not sure there's any store in the state that sells helmets that I need...
      12-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #31
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Torque RT700 is half the price and if you boil it you're doing it wrong, way wrong. And you can order it as needed directly from the manufacturer. No connection to them, just a satisfied customer. And the race team who does all the work on my car runs it exclusively and has for years.
they're actually about the same price, the RT700 bottles are about half the capacity of Castrol SRF. if you look at the amount of fluid you get its pretty much the same.

that being said, I've yet to come across someone that's tried both and didn't like Torque better. Local Porsche shop that preps lots of track and race cars (Cantrell Motorsport) switched to using exclusively Torque brake fluid in all their cars. They used Castrol SRF before.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #32
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nah, just helping with some pre-class homework.

Don't really need anything at all to go an HPDE, you're right. No race brake fluid, no special tires, just a safe car that meets the tech inspection requirements. And that form should be available at the BMWCCA site or that of the local chapter. BMW shops usually do the tech inspection for free, at least around here, ymmv.

Excellent advice. Rule number one, listen, listen, listen. Rule number two, see rule number one. Learning the track and not being lost takes at least a day if not a weekend. They usually say you should be able to drive the track in your mind's eye by the end of the first weekend. Until then it's pretty much overwhelming which is why it's recommended not to race, not to go as fast as possible, etc., just go at your pace, listen to the instructor, and learn. Speed comes with time and often the slowest at the beginning are the fastest in the end.
don't need race brake fluid, but you definitely need fresh brake fluid. really any DOT 4 will work, and since BMW comes with DOT 4 from the factory it's fine. Amsoil makes a good cheap DOT 4 fluid (better then lots of expensive brands). But stay away from Motul, its good while fresh but absorbs moisture really fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #33
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
they're actually about the same price, the RT700 bottles are about half the capacity of Castrol SRF. if you look at the amount of fluid you get its pretty much the same.

that being said, I've yet to come across someone that's tried both and didn't like Torque better. Local Porsche shop that preps lots of track and race cars (Cantrell Motorsport) switched to using exclusively Torque brake fluid in all their cars. They used Castrol SRF before.
Oh yeah, my bad. Was remembering the price only. Duh... Tnx
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #34
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
"Local store" lol have you been to Mississippi?

Not sure there's any store in the state that sells helmets that I need...
now that I think about it, you can go to a motorcycle shop (there's gotta be a bunch of those in Mississippi) and try on those helmets, then buy the brand that fits you best. Not perfect but better then buying completely blind...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #35
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses..

will look into the new brake fluid. I've just never heard of Torque before, but that doesn't mean they're not good.

Guess the first step for me is to join the SCCA and BMWCCA, then get started on a track day in NOLA or Birmingham.
      12-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #36
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
But stay away from Motul, its good while fresh but absorbs moisture really fast.
Agreed, have had trouble with it as you say. Gave up on it and moved on to RT700. Nice to know Cantrell uses it as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #37
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

will look into the new brake fluid. I've just never heard of Torque before, but that doesn't mean they're not good.

Guess the first step for me is to join the SCCA and BMWCCA, then get started on a track day in NOLA or Birmingham.
SCCA's cool and all but download the GCR and you'll get a look at the rules for race car classes - it's pretty involved and with all rules winning is in knowing how to bend them. I'm a member but only to keep up with them, doesn't help at all at this stage in learning how to drive on a track.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #38
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

Just get fresh fluid and make sure they bleed the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #39
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SCCA's cool and all but download the GCR and you'll get a look at the rules for race car classes - it's pretty involved and with all rules winning is in knowing how to bend them. I'm a member but only to keep up with them, doesn't help at all at this stage in learning how to drive on a track.
Excuse me for asking but what's the GCR?

Also, I have an AT
      12-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #40
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Excuse me for asking but what's the GCR?

Also, I have an AT
General Competition Rules.

Sorry, thought you had a 6MT for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #41
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
General Competition Rules.

Sorry, thought you had a 6MT for some reason.
I mentioned earlier I'm in the market for a 335i/335is/M3 6MT.

Ok, sounds good. Will download those and check em out before my first event.
      12-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #42
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:

That's probably it, thanks.

NASA is sort of a less regulation-happy SCCA. https://nasaproracing.com/rules

They're much more helpful to someone looking to get into racing without spending a bloody fortune. The Legacy car series is a hoot, saw them run at Eagles Canyon Raceway and it's pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

if you're planning on tracking a lot, do some research on what each car takes to be a reliable track car... from lurking around in the forums it seams like the tt BMW powered cars take a crap ton of cooling...

and dont buy mishimoto radiators... CSF are far better and cost about the same for most applications, even less for some. mishimoto did a great job marketing and getting their names on a much of pro drift cars. but remember, all aluminum radiators are not created equally.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #44
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's probably it, thanks.

NASA is sort of a less regulation-happy SCCA. https://nasaproracing.com/rules

They're much more helpful to someone looking to get into racing without spending a bloody fortune. The Legacy car series is a hoot, saw them run at Eagles Canyon Raceway and it's pretty cool.
Ah cool. Well there are so few tracks around here I could go to every one in a five hour radius and only make three track days a year