E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > KTMP-MOM is running at 65C is there something wrong

04-12-2024, 05:54 AM   #1
JWeaves13
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

KTMP-MOM is running at 65C is there something wrong

Topped up my coolant today as the light came on and I wasn’t sure how to check the temp on a bmw so I searched it up and the KTMP-MOM is the only temp gauge I could find online and when starting the car after topping up temps range from 30c on start to 65c when driving and 80c when stopped/idle. I found online diesel bmws are meant to run from 90-110c. Is KTMP-MOM the right temp gauge and if so what could possibly be wrong with my car or engine (if there’s anything wrong). BTW is drive a 2007 bmw 320d.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeaves13 View Post
... Is KTMP-MOM the right temp gauge and if so what could possibly be wrong with my car or engine (if there’s anything wrong). BTW is drive a 2007 bmw 320d.
AKA "Hidden Menu 7.00", as displayed on Lower Instrument Cluster SHOULD be SAME Temperature Value as a Scan Tool will display for ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) Value as received/computed by the DDE. You can confirm that ECTS signal, as received by DDE is correct, using an InfraRed Thermometer.
https://www.carsaddiction.com/articl...er-hidden-menu

If that Value is CORRECT, then it would appear your Thermostat is stuck open. One way to confirm that would be to watch for Radiator E-Fan operation with engine running at idle/ stationary. If ECTS is operating correctly, the E-Fan SHOULD increase speed or operate at 40 to 50% of max speed when temp shown on Instrument Cluster is at highest (80C?)

If you/ a shop have/has INPA (or ISTA), you can use "F6 Activation" or "Triggering" Screens to view Fan, Coolant Pump & T-stat function, as well as ECTS Value. That works on E9x models with Electric Coolant Pump, Radiator/E-Fan, & T-Stat Heater. I'm NOT familiar with "Engine Cooling System" on 320d. THAT may Differ.

Please let us know what you find.
George
Appreciate 1