E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Help Me Chose First Bmw!

05-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
So, to my understanding I should completely lease not even finance due to depreciation for when I try to sell the car when its over correct? Also, I would just than be able to change cars when I want so your point is actually really valid and just changed my perspective completely. Thanks for your help!
A BMW dealer will not lease a car to a 16 year old.. Your parents will need to have it leased under their name. Lease or fiance they would still be subjected to a credit score check, so make sure their credit is g2g.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #24
Eric E92 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti317 View Post
But it's not a BMW. If you don't see the difference then maybe BMW really isn't for you. No worries, that's why we have so many different brands and styles.

Cheers
BMW really isn't for me because I can't see a difference? I do see a difference, it's called being realistic. Settle for less right now until you can get bigger things later. Suggesting e90/e92 platform to someone with only 11k budget is bad idea. Why don't you go find an older japanese turbo platform without the icky ECU that's easier to work with? You won't regret it. Even a e30 and e46 is good starting point, cheaper parts and considering how old the cars are, you can probably find one that's been rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #25
Ti317
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E92 335i View Post
BMW really isn't for me because I can't see a difference? I do see a difference, it's called being realistic. Settle for less right now until you can get bigger things later. Suggesting e90/e92 platform to someone with only 11k budget is bad idea. Why don't you go find an older japanese turbo platform without the icky ECU that's easier to work with? You won't regret it. Even a e30 and e46 is good starting point, cheaper parts and considering how old the cars are, you can probably find one that's been rebuilt.
We are not really that far apart. I also recommended an e46. I have also suggested but not as directly that he can settle for less within the BMW line. I definitely would not recommend a turbo as an entry level BMW on a budget butt he simple fact is that comparing BMW to Asian cars is like telling Tom Brady to leave Giselle and marry Martha Stewart. Sure his clothes will all be neatly arranged and he will have spectacular dinners but what about the ride?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #26
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E92 335i View Post
My buddy bought a used 330 back in 2001, which he wound up having issues with and eventually getting rid of. This was right around the time I got out of the service. He was talking me up to get a BMW too but I opted for my neighbors used 96 Corolla that had only 14k miles on it. It was his winter car and he was moving to FL. I saved up a lot of cash while in the service and could have easily bought a BMW but I opted for a cheap little Toyota so that I can go to school, work out, work part time a few hours a week (at a gym also bounced some Saturdays), and have plenty of cash to enjoy life. This was the best decision I probably made because when the rest of the guys where struggling to keep up, while juggling school and part time jobs. Meanwhile I was taking vacations to the Caribbean. Thanks to this decision I really got to enjoy my 20s and still had a nice cash flow going when I finally finished school and started my job.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti317 View Post
We are not really that far apart. I also recommended an e46. I have also suggested but not as directly that he can settle for less within the BMW line. I definitely would not recommend a turbo as an entry level BMW on a budget butt he simple fact is that comparing BMW to Asian cars is like telling Tom Brady to leave Giselle and marry Martha Stewart. Sure his clothes will all be neatly arranged and he will have spectacular dinners but what about the ride?
I'm sure she rides nice.. She looks very conservative; usually women like this are freaks in bed. Plus she did some time (over BS charges at that) so she has street cred..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Get the xdrive model. Don't go for a 335i at that price.
      05-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #29
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

I checked some listings near you and thought maybe this vehicle would be worth checking out, you could probably get it around $8k if the maintenance and car fax, etc check out. best of luck and let us know what you end up getting.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...98081077&Log=0
      05-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #30
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

You should just pick up a 07 or 08 infiniti g35.Its reliable fun to drive and almost as quick as a stock 335i.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #31
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
I checked some listings near you and thought maybe this vehicle would be worth checking out, you could probably get it around $8k if the maintenance and car fax, etc check out. best of luck and let us know what you end up getting.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...98081077&Log=0
http://www.amecaautopdx.com/2007_BMW..._254437660.veh I think this is the one im going with. Getting it inspected tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #32
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
http://www.amecaautopdx.com/2007_BMW..._254437660.veh I think this is the one im going with. Getting it inspected tomorrow.
Looks great. My e92 xi is space grey also. Its worth it to have the sports seats and the extra utility of the fold down rear seats. Can fit quite a bit into an e92 with the rear seats down. Hope the inspection goes well for you. The 328s are plenty quick and fun to drive.
      05-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #33
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Base non-sport, no i-drive 100k+ miles? Hm.. and to think I was going to sell my 90k e90 for 10k. Keep searching, man. A good car will appear periodically so there's no rush to find one that you don't absolutely love - dont just settle for a car especially in your current position. You're young, you have a decent amount of money to drop on your first car, it'd be best to gauge your options and develop a plan of ownership. I've had my '06 for the last 7 years and have spent a good chunk of my paychecks to keep it in good running condition as well as mods here and there. Like others have mention oil pump, tstat, OFHG, window actuators, etc can go out in your ownership so be sure to have some money set aside for maintenance if you're not mechanically inclined. Someone mentioned insurance which is definitely something you might want to factor in since the first couple years of being licensed wont be cheap. All in all, Arian, be smart and enjoy whatever ride you decide on.
      05-25-2015, 10:55 PM   #34
-The Truth
Speed doesn't kill, reckless driving does.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsxn View Post
Base non-sport, no i-drive 100k+ miles? Hm.. and to think I was going to sell my 90k e90 for 10k. Keep searching, man. A good car will appear periodically so there's no rush to find one that you don't absolutely love - dont just settle for a car especially in your current position. You're young, you have a decent amount of money to drop on your first car, it'd be best to gauge your options and develop a plan of ownership. I've had my '06 for the last 7 years and have spent a good chunk of my paychecks to keep it in good running condition as well as mods here and there. Like others have mention oil pump, tstat, OFHG, window actuators, etc can go out in your ownership so be sure to have some money set aside for maintenance if you're not mechanically inclined. Someone mentioned insurance which is definitely something you might want to factor in since the first couple years of being licensed wont be cheap. All in all, Arian, be smart and enjoy whatever ride you decide on.
+1 Opportunities will always arise.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #35
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsxn View Post
When you say non sport im assuming you meant sports package, which it does have. Im getting it inspected today so hopefully that goes well. Im not recessarly in a rush but my parents said I shoul have waited so sell my volvo (sold it 2 months ago) and think I need a car soon. But again they want me to make a good decision and my dad says this is the best one he has seen and he actually thinks its a good car, so that means a lot to me. Im setting some money aside for emergency services for things like the oil pump and all that so hopefully im set to go. Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #36
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep

All e92s have sport package. The xi however means it does not have (ZSP) sport suspension. If you are going to be into modificying your car, then changing up the suspension will be a bit more tricky. You may want to drive it and make sure you like the handling bc it wont be as good as the RWD sport models.
      05-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
t3chnobrat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:

Good choice, I hope it checks out ok for you!
2010 E92 335i :: ZSP :: 6AT :: 19" OEM/BBS 230's :: MHD Stage 2+ :: XHP Stage 3 :: ETS FMIC :: VRSF CL DP's :: AA CP & BOV :: Boost Addictions Diff Brace :: Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake :: High & Low Side OCC's :: RB ext PCV
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #38
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
When you say non sport im assuming you meant sports package, which it does have. Im getting it inspected today so hopefully that goes well. Im not recessarly in a rush but my parents said I shoul have waited so sell my volvo (sold it 2 months ago) and think I need a car soon. But again they want me to make a good decision and my dad says this is the best one he has seen and he actually thinks its a good car, so that means a lot to me. Im setting some money aside for emergency services for things like the oil pump and all that so hopefully im set to go. Thanks for all the help!
Zsp does not matter that much on an xi. All you are getting is the sports seats because xi does not come with a sports suspension. I know it also got me the shadowline trim but I do t think that was available in 07.

Car has 114k miles on it. It does not mean it's on its last leg or anything but at your age I would go with something with way less miles and that is cheaper to maintain. Given your young and on a budget, I can't say your making a wise decision here.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #39
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Zsp does not matter that much on an xi. All you are getting is the sports seats because xi does not come with a sports suspension. I know it also got me the shadowline trim but I do t think that was available in 07.

Car has 114k miles on it. It does not mean it's on its last leg or anything but at your age I would go with something with way less miles and that is cheaper to maintain. Given your young and on a budget, I can't say your making a wise decision here.
Hard to make judgement on that until we know more about service records, it goes through the inspection and he agrees on a price. Waterpump, plugs, shocks, brakes may have recently been done and he may settle on a price bw $9500-10k he could be driving it relatively problem free for a couple of years. If some of those things havent been done he could be looking at some time in the shop but if he does it right and follows some of the stuff on this forum could pick up OEM parts at decent prices, maybe DIY on some of it.
      05-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #40
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Looks great. My e92 xi is space grey also. Its worth it to have the sports seats and the extra utility of the fold down rear seats. Can fit quite a bit into an e92 with the rear seats down. Hope the inspection goes well for you. The 328s are plenty quick and fun to drive.
I didnt realize the rear seats go down. I feel stupid asking this but how exactly do I do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #41
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Well i got the car. Runs in perfect condition, the mechanic said that the only thing i might need in the future is some struts and shocks but its not immediate. So I might get some koni yellows and H&R sports this summer. Doing some exhaust work this weekend (have not decided exactly what yet) and im looking forward to getting an m3 rep bumper and doing a paint match with the space grey metallic.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #42
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep

Congrats! And you ve got the mod bug already. There are two levers in the trunk one right and one left that you pull towards you to release the seats so you can flatten them.
      05-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #43
Ti317
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I'm sure she rides nice.. She looks very conservative; usually women like this are freaks in bed. Plus she did some time (over BS charges at that) so she has street cred..
ROFL!

Good one! I never thought of the prison hardcore angle.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #44
Ti317
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well i got the car. Runs in perfect condition, the mechanic said that the only thing i might need in the future is some struts and shocks but its not immediate. So I might get some koni yellows and H&R sports this summer. Doing some exhaust work this weekend (have not decided exactly what yet) and im looking forward to getting an m3 rep bumper and doing a paint match with the space grey metallic.
Congrats and good luck! Before you go throwing mods on it, I would wait a few weeks and see if any surprises pop up. I would also try to update the maintenance and do some PM like cooling system refresh but that is just the nervous Nellie in me.
If you do go with shock replacement, you may want to look at Koni FSDs they ride close to stock sport shocks but tighten up when stressed. I have a set in my e46 and I love them.
I have run stock, Bilstein HD, Bilstein sport, Koni yellow, Koni FSD and Bilstein Pss9 on different cars and they are all good. IMO the FSDs offer the best compromise between ride and handling.

Last edited by Ti317; 06-01-2015 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0