E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Black Betty 335i build

10-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Black Betty 335i build

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my build thread, named after the epic ram jam song

I found her advertised up in Leeds, and it was too good an offer to turn up!

2 (sensible, or so I've been told) owners, 37,000 miles FBWSH.

She needed a big service and a bit of TLC, so I sent her over to Barry @ Turner Autos in twickenham for a service and a walnut blast. credit where credits due, the father and son team did great work, giving the car a proper look over. On top of the service work and the walnut blast, Barry also removed and cleaned the windscreen wash system, known to get gunked up (as it was!) and swapped the boost vans solenoids, which cleared a minor error code that was popping up. He mentioned that the HPFP looked quiet shiny, and likely has been replaced prior to my ownership, which goods new for me!

With that taken care of, I moved Immediately onto the modding (I've only had the thing a month and a half!!). Sometimes I wish i could be patient, but against my wallets wishes I always dig straight in and start fiddling!

Here is the (ever changing) mod list:

1) Injen style dci - done and a pain in the arse!
2) CDV - done
3) Clutch stop - done - hobbled some parts together from the garage, works brilliantly!
4) DV to VTA mod - done - in style
5) OCC install - done - fiddly AF
6) Refurb wheels - split rims are in terrible shape
7) Bluetooth audio - done -( tuna firefly till i decided on what I'm doing in terms of audio upgrades - works well so far, given how pants the existing base system is)
8) MHD tune - in process of collecting parts - so far: Dcan cable from cable shack + usb hub + Obd extension. need to decide on an android device.
9) P.E. Mod
10) Braided Brake lines (once stocks start to go spongy)
11) Poly bush - when and if needed
12) Upgrade brakes - when and if needed
13) Replace sharks fin - CF or stock? tbc.
14) Performance diffuser - collecting parts
15) M3 Side Skirts - OEM needs modification to fit nicely - I need details if anyone has a link/ knows whats needed.
16)Front corner splitters
17) Replace Vac lines done

Ill be posting details on each mod here, any tips or feedback is/are always welcome!!

I love the forums, and have been reading up and gaining lots of knowledge from it. I'd like to add my experience to the group, and look forward to sharing ideas and a bit of banter. However, I do kindly ask any 'do a search' or sarcastic/negative comments be kept to yourself. I will always search, multiple times, before I ever ask a question on here. So lets keep it friendly and informative, the way this forum is 85% of the time

Cheers, and happy driving!

Rushi
Attached Images

Last edited by Rush 335i; 10-12-2018 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: added to mod list
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

nice one!

any details on which oil catch can you used?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
nice one!

any details on which oil catch can you used?
Hi andy,

It was a generic ebay/amazon catch can, lets see how it holds up.

Pros: cheap, functional, and the double baffle can be moved to either side, which made the install / running the hoses cleanly a bit easier.

Cons: The u bend rubber hose has some weird enlarged end and metal fitting. To get this mounted and air tight took a little fiddling, including cutting a little piece of normal size hose as an 'adapter' and jubilee clipping it all together.

Warning: the pcv valve/ line is a real PITA the get off safely, I ended up breaking the four way clips that hold them in place (both sides, engine and intake), and had to buy a whole replacement unit from the stealers. Not the worst mistake at £12 (ish), but still an extra bit of faff.

If i was to do it again I would either order a unit with only one size of rubber hose openings, cut the plastic pipe off carefully, and install without removing the ends of the PCV at all, which I'm sure would work fine.

here is the exact one i bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

M3 side skirts

Does anyone know what modifications need to be done to OEM m3 side skirts to get them to sit flush / nicely on a 335i?

After searching the forum it seems Long tran did a great install, but i cant find any diy/instructions on what actual modifications were made on them? I have found a painted set id be happy to buy, but only if i know i can make it work :P

thanks in advance!

Rushi
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush 335i View Post
Hi andy,

It was a generic ebay/amazon catch can, lets see how it holds up.

Pros: cheap, functional, and the double baffle can be moved to either side, which made the install / running the hoses cleanly a bit easier.

Cons: The u bend rubber hose has some weird enlarged end and metal fitting. To get this mounted and air tight took a little fiddling, including cutting a little piece of normal size hose as an 'adapter' and jubilee clipping it all together.

Warning: the pcv valve/ line is a real PITA the get off safely, I ended up breaking the four way clips that hold them in place (both sides, engine and intake), and had to buy a whole replacement unit from the stealers. Not the worst mistake at £12 (ish), but still an extra bit of faff.

If i was to do it again I would either order a unit with only one size of rubber hose openings, cut the plastic pipe off carefully, and install without removing the ends of the PCV at all, which I'm sure would work fine.

here is the exact one i bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps

Thanks, hope it holds up well for you, I noticed the pipes are quite cheap from bmw so was going to buy one to mod ect and work out the pipe sizes
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Congrats on the purchase and glad you've already started the mods and some good jobs you've sorted (OCC etc).

Look forward to the rest of that list and to see if starts to grow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush 335i View Post
Does anyone know what modifications need to be done to OEM m3 side skirts to get them to sit flush / nicely on a 335i?

After searching the forum it seems Long tran did a great install, but i cant find any diy/instructions on what actual modifications were made on them? I have found a painted set id be happy to buy, but only if i know i can make it work :P

thanks in advance!

Rushi
I think the genuine M3 skirts sit slightly longer than stock and so personally best to go for some decent aftermarket rep ones I would think.
      10-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Thanks, hope it holds up well for you, I noticed the pipes are quite cheap from bmw so was going to buy one to mod ect and work out the pipe sizes
Nice! Let me know how it works out, if its a good and not too pricey option i might change the pipes next time I take off the cowl etc!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Congrats on the purchase and glad you've already started the mods and some good jobs you've sorted (OCC etc).

Look forward to the rest of that list and to see if starts to grow lol.

I think the genuine M3 skirts sit slightly longer than stock and so personally best to go for some decent aftermarket rep ones I would think.
Thanks Raj! Your build thread is definitely an inspiration, am i right in thinking you were on e46zone with an epic build as well? Was some time ago, but some bell is ringing in the back of my head!

The seller for the side skirts sent me a video of them installed, and they stick out at both ends by the wheels, and come out laterally from the door panels too! Without any DIYs i don't want to risk it (plus they are already painted making any shape modification that much more of a ball ache.) I think ill go for reps, since they fit better and just bite the painting bullet :P
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Walnut blast

Check out the difference a good walnut blast makes! And this is from a 37k mileage car which I would consider pretty dam low for the age of the car. It was also a country car, keep out of the city and only really driven on weekends. Just goes to show how easily these n54s can get clogged up!

Before
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

walnut blast

Walnut blast complete:

After:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

MHD prep

Just a little update / tip

When trying to run my obd cable nicely I found this bunch of junk!!

My car was advertised with a Bluetooth phone connection feature, which I quickly worked out was a useless parrot unit ( someone had removed the little button set that sits in the cabin)

So I whipped it all out, and hey presto suddenly my aux audio quality is miles better!!! Something to keep in mind when troubleshooting poor audio! Also, cleaning out the aux in with a cotton bud and some rubbing alcohol helps, my tunai firefly wouldn't send any sound through at all before I did this!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Big Update

Hi All,

Heres a long overdue update to my build thread!

DONE

1) Injen style dci - and relocate PS resovoir redone, wasn't happy with the look/positioning
2) CDV removal
3) Clutch stop
4) DV to VTA mod
5) OCC install
6) Bluetooth audio
7) MHD tune Done and loving stage 1. 98 oct map running shell v power
8) Replace Vac lines replaced with blue silicone lines
9) Charge pipe
10) Boost solenoids replaced
11)[B] Exhaust vacuum valve modded to be operated by switch in cabin [B]
12) Clutch pedal sensor tapped and switch added, so I can push a button instead of holding down the clutch

STILL TO DO
12) Refurb wheels - split rims are in terrible shape
13) P.E. Mod
14) Braided Brake lines (once stocks start to go spongy)
15) Poly bush - when and if needed
16) Upgrade brakes - when and if needed
17) Replace sharks fin - CF or stock? tbc.
18) Performance diffuser - collecting parts
19) M3 Side Skirts - OEM needs modification to fit nicely - I need details if anyone has a link/ knows whats needed.
20) catless/highflow DPS
21) [B] BMW performance handbrake and gear knob, with alcantara boots.

Im going stick a bunch of random pics up rather than go through each mod in order.

A few questions if anyone can advise:

- OCC - I checked my OCC and it was completely empty, after 5 months use. there was a tiny bit of oil in the pipe, but I was expecting more? Mileage has been minimal, maybe 3000 miles give or take.. I think the hoses might have been a bit loose, everything is all tightened up now. When should I check it again?

- Boost solenoids - The car is an entirely different animal now. I had no codes or errors come up, but the car struggled to build boost low down. I also noticed revs would drop immediately after taking your foot of the pedal, to the point I would have to put the clutch in far earlier than normal to avoid a stall. My theory is one solenoid perhaps wasn't working, and therefore the engine was overworking one do to the job of both? Either way, now boosts great, and the revs hold on deceleration. went for pierburg direct replacements.

it's had a four wheel alignment already, but does anyone have any recommendations in south london? I get annoyed that the steering is a degree or so off centre :/

MHD Stage 1 tune is a thing of beauty. It gives the car the ability to really push your head back, which was lacking a bit before ( could also have been my slow boost build). Running linear throttle, 1.6 sec burble. Between the turbo spool and DVs venting to atmosphere at the front, and the burble at the rear, its a noisy little bugger but I love it. Nothing obnoxious, but always makes me smile.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Pics :)

in a rough sort of order...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

and one shiny one
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00
      05-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #15
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Nice mootor Mate
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #16
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Like the Injen style DCI's. I've actually just ordered a new Injen kit to replace my BMS DCI's.
      05-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #17
Supernaut46
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i, Honda S2000

Some good work so far. Did you notice much of a difference in engine performance following the walnut blast? Amazed how coked up it is for a low mileage car, just ticked 30k on mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Very nice car, get yourself a set of Evolve Downpipes and a Wagner Intercooler and go stage 2+, different animal altogether then! Im running stage 2+ e30 MHD map and its quick!

Have you checked your spark plugs lately, helps give a good indication on how healthy the fueling is and if your injectors are still good
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Nice car and some nice mods coming on. Not a fan of the wheels but yeah........

It is amazing how much crap is inside on these, and various other bimmers and Audi's. Makes me think about having mine done, but got no problems so why bother. Also PNP cars showed a photo of a freshly walnut blasted n54 and then a photo of like 5 miles later and was already buildup. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:50 AM   #20
Rush 335i
Private First Class
Rep

Update to the mod list, will try and upload pics and more details soon.

1) Injen style dci - done and a pain in the arse! - Should have just bought the injen (although a lot of trial and error, i do love the end result. ended up more expensive than just buying an injen though!! :/)
2) CDV - done
3) Clutch stop - done - hobbled some parts together from the garage, works brilliantly!
4) DV to VTA mod - done - in style - upgraded to turbosmart now
5) OCC install - done - updated with blue hoses
6) Refurb wheels - split rims are in terrible shape
7) Bluetooth audio - done -( tuna firefly till i decided on what I'm doing in terms of audio upgrades - works well so far, given how pants the existing base system is - have actually gone back to a 3.5mm cable, as there is a noticeable quality difference)
8) MHD tune - stage 1 - Dcan cable from cable shack - Huawei android tablet
9) P.E. Mod
10) Braided Brake lines (once stocks start to go spongy)
11) Poly bush - when and if needed
12) Upgrade brakes - when and if needed
13) Replace sharks fin - CF or stock? tbc.
14) Performance diffuser - collecting parts
15) M3 Side Skirts - OEM needs modification to fit nicely - I need details if anyone has a link/ knows whats needed.
16)Front corner splitters
17) Replace Vac lines - done
18) Replace boost solenoids - done
19) Diverter Valves - Upgraded DVS with turbosmart kompact plumb backs, but set to VTA with a small filter, so zero chance of oil being spit into engine bay (OCC does 95%, the filter is back up)
20) Index 12 injectors (genuine, new) - installed and coded
21) MTC 3"downpipes - not yet installed
22) MTC stepped intercooler - not yet installed
23) Custom intercooler mister - in design stage
24) Precision Raceworks ignition coils - the last blue bit I want for the engine
25) M3 cowl - looking for parts
26) Interior LEDS upgrade - looking for parts
27) Replace stock subwoofers - looking for parts
28) Alpine amp and tweeter retrofit - installed and appreciated!
29) Service item - Oil change (Shell 5w30) - done
30) Service item - Spark plugs (bosch OEM) - done
31) Service item - cabin filter (bmw genuine with charcoal) - actually looks of lesser quality than the after market one it replaced.will post details later) - done
32) Exhaust flap adapted to run off switch in cabin - done. fun button, has a small difference in sound. Once I've installed downpipes and possible PE mod, should be a much bigger difference between on and off.
33) RB PCV valve - done
Attached Images

Last edited by Rush 335i; 04-22-2020 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0