E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Testing boost selonoid

08-07-2022, 08:56 PM   #45
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
If you are sure of no vacuum leaks, and the waste gates are not sticky or stuck, then yes I would think solenoids. Either way they are a very common maintenance item and pretty cheap. Just replace for peace of mind and it may also solve your issue.
They are about $450 for the pair parts only here in Aust so dont want to just replace them if they are fine

If your cars running fine spooling up quickly and boosting fine you think you could do us a favor and test boost solenoid to see if it holds vac with car off?

Would put this issue to bed for everyone I guess once and for all

Its pretty easy with hand Vac and car OFF, plumb into the Vac canister line for each solenoid and also tee off the other nipple that runs to wastegate actuator lines, then with hand Vac get up to 20-25 HG and just see if they hold Vac with the car OFF or if they bleed out
Are you able to order from the US? They are 99 online each if I recall correctly.
Honestly it is such a common issue that old boost solenoids cause weird boosting issues. Some people can't reach full boost, some people have no boost at all. I have seen many users swap theirs and have boost return.
Sorry I don't have the time. I'm also replacing mine soon as mine are so old and are acting a little inconsistent lately.
      08-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #46
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I have heard that if your boost solenoid goes out you get a under boost code 30FF...but if they are weak you will just be under target due to the Wastegate not closing all the way. Each solenoid has 2 vacuum nipples, wich one shoud I draw vacuum on to see if there are working properly (hold vacuum)? Do you know of a better way to test these? "Vroom" has a very great thread for testing these that involves a T and driving WOT with a line and gauge coming thru the window....I would do this but have nobody to read the gauge while I am going WOT in 3rd lol!!

Should I just see if it each selonoid will hold vacuum? Should anything be connected...like the other lines when testing these?
Properly functioning N54 boost solenoids do bleed off when bench vacuum tested. The junk replacements on the market do not bleed off when tested. Pierburg are a reliable replacement brand.

Last edited by Cloverdale; 08-17-2022 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #47
sbmws
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
Properly functioning N54 boost solenoids do bleed off when bench vacuum tested. The junk replacements on the market do not bleed off when tested. Pierburg are a reliable replacement brand.
Cloverdal thanks this is exactly the confirmation I was looking for and what I thought given they seemed to be function just fine under every other test with the car on including simulating WOT with the JB4 DWP settings being increased on idle

Bimmer Bro I can order from US but after FX conversion and shipping it ends up being $350+ and thats if we dont get slug with import tax

When you get new ones you should vac test them when they are off the car and just put your thumb on the other nipple to seal if off, based on what Cloverdale has said they should bleed off
Appreciate 1