E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Pretty sure I blew my transfer case

03-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
EfiniMotorsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi, Yukon Denali, 16 CRZ

Pretty sure I blew my transfer case

I'm pretty sure I blew my transfer case a few nights ago but wanted to run it by you guys and see. My car is an 09 6mt with upgraded turbos, FBO and JB4. I turned the traction control off and did 2 launches. While still in it on the second one I fell a shudder under my right elbow and the 4x4 light came on. I pulled over and cycled the ignition. No lights when I restarted it and it would move but as soon as I tried to give it any gas the revs would shoot up and the car wouldn't move. I got it towed home and when I tried to back it up the slight incline in my driveway it wouldn't move. Today it would move forward and backwards a little but as soon as I try to give it gas it slips. The clutch feels fine and it goes into gear fine. With all four wheels off the ground the fronts turn but not the rear. The only codes are
5DEC DSC: transfer case malfunction
5ED8 DSC: Reverse-gear switch (forwards)
I tried searching and couldn't find much of anything. 5DEC seems to be a generic code and I can't find anything on 5ED8. I've had a few mechanic friends (I am also a mechanic) took a look and we're all leaning towards a blown transfer case somewhere in the output to the rear. It's like under a low load the car will move under the power to the front but because the transfer case isn't locked it's like having a wheel in the mud, the power takes the path of least resistance. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any ideas or experience blowing a transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:59 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Diagnosis seems sound. Stripped splines on the rear T-case output flange/yoke.

New T-case time.
      03-21-2022, 05:35 AM   #3
EfiniMotorsport
Private First Class
Rep

$300 for a transfer case certainly beats $1200 for a clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
EfiniMotorsport
Private First Class
Rep

After buying a transfer case from a buddy of mine I get the car up on the lift to swap it, Dropped the heatshield and a few broken bolts fell out. Turns out I sheared the 3 bolts that go through the guibo into the transfer case and bent the 3 that go from the driveshaft to the guibo. Don't know how I didn't break anything else, guess it was just dumb luck. When the bolts broke it allowed the driveshaft to slip back just enough that the transfer case output shaft could just slip. Same as trying to drive with one wheel in the air, the power takes the path of least resistance so nothing was going to the front. Got the broken bolts out, put the new ones in and I was pretty much good to go. It did tear up the guibo some so I'll have to replace that too. Glad that was an FCP part
Appreciate 0