E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding the JBE (Junction box electronics) module

10-18-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
Coding the JBE (Junction box electronics) module

Hello. I am having trouble accessing the VO through CAS, FRM, or NFRM in an attempt to program factory settings in to a new JBE module. Is there a way to load the VO in NCS that is not the typical F1 - F3? When I choose F1 -> F3 and select my chassis E89 then click on either CAS, FRM, or NFRM, an error is returned ( COAPI-2020: SG antworrtet nich IFH:0009 ; and a VIN invalid error).

I verified my cable and setup are functioning correctly by reinstalling the old JBE module. I was able to read the VO and create a .TRC file with the old module installed. I need to replace the old module because I am getting fuel level implausibility errors and no longer have a working A/C system.

Any advice on how to code the new JBE module with factory defaults would be greatly appreciated!! Car is a 2011 E90.
      10-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
Kerstboom
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 2007 325i

Do you have the right type of JBE? The JBE is (also) a sort of gateway from OBD plug to several other control units in your car.

Please check this topic: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=968206&page=3

towards the bottom of the page you find some usefull info. The post starts with

Quote:
Disclaimer: What you find underneath are my personal experiences, since I'm not an expert in these things please understand that you have to verify all of the details yourself, and while doing so, proceed on your own risk.

Well, I got finally got it to work on both my (e92) and my dads (e90LCI) car.

the most difficult parts were to find the right JBE's.

I've tried a few JBE's and learned a few things which might come in handy for you guys, so let me share them with you:

Basically it comes down to this:

There are these 3 variations
jbbf81, which is K-line (cars older than march 2007) also knows as JBE
jbbf70, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE2
jbbfr3, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE3

Since your car is a 2011 E90 you probably need one of the latter 2. Can you share what is written on your old and on your new JBE?

the error message you mention "COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht IFH:0009 ; and a VIN invalid error" means the following
SG (SteuerGerät) = control unit
Antwortet nicht = does not answer

In other words: your laptop cannot communicate with the unit. In my case this was due to the fact that I have a K-line car which uses pin 7 on the OBD connector, while the JBE I tried was D-can which uses pins 6 & 14. This resulted in the same communication failure you experience.

It is also wise to make sure the new JBE has all of the required relays installed.

Last edited by Kerstboom; 05-21-2019 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerstboom View Post
Do you have the right type of JBE? The JBE is (also) a sort of gateway from OBD plug to several other control units in your car.

Please check this topic: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=968206&page=3

towards the bottom of the page you find some usefull info. The post starts with

Basically it comes down to this:

There are these 3 variations
jbbf81, which is K-line (cars older than march 2007) also knows as JBE
jbbf70, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE2
jbbfr3, which is D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE3

Since your car is a 2001 E90 you probably need one of the latter 2. Can you share what is written on your old and on your new JBE?

the error message you mention "COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht IFH:0009 ; and a VIN invalid error" means the following
SG (SteuerGerät) = control unit
Antwortet nicht = does not answer

In other words: your laptop cannot communicate with the unit. In my case this was due to the fact that I have a K-line car which uses pin 7 on the OBD connector, while the JBE I tried was D-can which uses pins 6 & 14. This resulted in the same communication failure you experience.

It is also wise to make sure the new JBE has all of the required relays installed.
Thanks for the reply! To clarify, the car is a 2011 and should have the JBBFR3. The old module indicates this to be true as it reads JBBFE-IIIR. The new unit also reads JBBFE IIIR. The only difference I can see is different hardware versions. The old unit is HW-D5 and the new unit is HW-D7. Also, old unit is a H3 while the new unit is version M.

I feel like I have the right replacement part, just no way for NCS expert to communicate with OBD because everything goes through the JBE!

Last edited by MacE90; 10-18-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Kerstboom
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 2007 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
I feel like I have the right replacement part, just no way for NCS expert to communicate with OBD because everything goes through the JBE!
Indeed, that sounds like you have exactly the right type of JBE.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Try flashing the JBE first. Identify the correct ZB using the kmm_atsh file.
Ok. Input new jbe zb in to the new jbe unit via winkpf.

Last edited by MacE90; 10-19-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
First off, mission accomplished. Thanks @BimmerGeeks. Second, here is a description of how I was able to program the module without it being recognized in NCSexpert....for the next person.

Step 1: Configure WinKFP. I used the guide "Configuring WinKFP.pdf" and can be found via Google. Note: I had to manually load the module I wanted to program, JBE in this case, in to the assembly line data; despite using BMW coding tool to update my WinKFP files.

Step 2: The kmm_atsh file recommended by BimmerGeeks contained both of the ZB numbers for the old and new units. I used the ZB number for the new JBE unit because I want to assign factory settings to the new unit. This number was verified via INPA -> User Information Field (UIF).

Step 3: Start WinKFP -> Comfort Mode -> Update ZSUB -> Select JBE module (2JBBR or something like that) -> Click OK.

Step 4: Most WinKFP guides instruct you to enter the VIN number next. This option did not appear for me when I returned to the main menu. This results in no VIN number assigned to my new JBE module. I clicked on program (F3 I believe) and the new JBE module was programmed with factory settings. Close WinKFP.

Step 5: Open NCSexpert -> Load non-manipulation profile. See NCS Expertmode coding DIY.pdf via Google on how to create a non-manipulation profile. This is the correct way to write factory settings to a new module. F1 -> F3 to choose chassis and load VIN and VO. F4 to choose ECU -> Click OK. F2 -> SG_CODIEREN -> Click OK. F3 to start coding factory settings according to the VO to the chosen ECU.

NOTE: *** See Post #8 Below**** To assign a VIN to the new JBE module once all other steps are complete: Open WinKFP -> Comfort Mode -> F3 (Update ZSUB) -> Choose JBBFR3 in the case of my new JBE unit -> Click Ok -> F4 (Enter VIN) -> Enter VIN and click OK -> Click Done -> F3 (Prog ZB-update) ->Click Yes/Ok and wait for programming. Close WinKFP.

Last edited by MacE90; 12-06-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
First off, mission accomplished. Thanks @BimmerGeeks. Second, here is a description of how I was able to program the module without it being recognized in NCSexpert....for the next person.

Step 1: Configure WinKFP. I used the guide "Configuring WinKFP.pdf" and can be found via Google. Note: I had to manually load the module I wanted to program, JBE in this case, in to the assembly line data; despite using BMW coding tool to update my WinKFP files.

Step 2: The kmm_atsh file recommended by BimmerGeeks contained both of the ZB numbers for the old and new units. I used the ZB number for the new JBE unit because I want to assign factory settings to the new unit. This number was verified via INPA -> User Information Field (UIF).

Step 3: Start WinKFP -> Comfort Mode -> Update ZSUB -> Select JBE module (2JBBR or something like that) -> Click OK.

Step 4: Most WinKFP guides instruct you to enter the VIN number next. This option did not appear for me when I returned to the main menu. This results in no VIN number assigned to my new JBE module. I clicked on program (F3 I believe) and the new JBE module was programmed with factory settings. Close WinKFP.

Step 5: Open NCSexpert -> Load non-manipulation profile. See NCS Expertmode coding DIY.pdf via Google on how to create a non-manipulation profile. This is the correct way to write factory settings to a new module. F1 -> F3 to choose chassis and load VIN and VO. F4 to choose ECU -> Click OK. F2 -> SG_CODIEREN -> Click OK. F3 to start coding factory settings according to the VO to the chosen ECU.

NOTE: ***I still need to verify the following statement*** To assign a VIN to the new JBE module once all other steps are complete: Open WinKFP -> Comfort Mode -> F3 (Update ZSUB) -> Choose JBBFR3 in the case of my new JBE unit -> Click Ok -> F4 (Enter VIN) -> Enter VIN and click OK -> Click Done -> F3 (Prog ZB-update) ->Click Yes/Ok and wait for programming. Close WinKFP.
Check your WinKFP configuration settings and see if the "UIF write in comfort mode" box is checked. If unchecked it won't ask for the VIN when flashing.
      10-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Check your WinKFP configuration settings and see if the "UIF write in comfort mode" box is checked. If unchecked it won't ask for the VIN when flashing.
It was. Thank you!

Last edited by MacE90; 12-06-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
JeffKim
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive

I'm visiting from another thread (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1666305&page=3) where we are experiencing a temperature sensitive problem which appears to be in the JBE. I'd like to replace it but I'm unsure how to do the coding. This thread is old but is a start.

I don't have any coding experience and equipment, maybe this a FAQ, but if any of the participants are still around what equipment and software is required to perform the coding described by MacE90 here?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I'm visiting from another thread (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1666305&page=3) where we are experiencing a temperature sensitive problem which appears to be in the JBE. I'd like to replace it but I'm unsure how to do the coding. This thread is old but is a start.

I don't have any coding experience and equipment, maybe this a FAQ, but if any of the participants are still around what equipment and software is required to perform the coding described by MacE90 here?

Thanks!
Did you get this issue resolved? JeffKim
      01-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
eapanda@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post

Thanks!
Did you resolve your issue , I’m in the same situation
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
JeffKim
Rep

I went down the road of trying to code it myself and even though I work in software got overwhelmed. I ended up hiring someone to do it. However, his coding didn't restore a number of things such as central locking, heated passenger seat, and trunk lights, so I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

2/27/20 Epilogue: I never was able to get it re-coded properly and get the other features working. Instead I took the cowards way out and traded in my E90 with 186K miles with a miss-coded JBE for a 2017 F30 which is under warranty for another couple years, so I might not be back here for a while.

Last edited by JeffKim; 02-27-2020 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Marrken
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5

JBE issue...

Almost a week ago I was parking my X5 E70 when the wipers just started going and when they finally stopped the did not land in the correct position. Same for the rear wiper. By the time I got home I had tried them several times with the same result. Then I noticed that the door locks did not work and I was no longer able to open the back hatch. I have gone over all the fuses and they look fine. I was unable to reach all the way back to check the fuses in the tray under the dash though.
1. is there a way to gain full access to the fuse tray under the passenger dash?
2. It is looking like my JBE needs replacing any way to really confirm that?
(I did see a JBE power fault when running ISTA D)

I haven't tried any other software yet as I don't want to rush in when I am a casual DIYer who only works on his own cars when they need it.

Any replies are welcome as I am currently down to one vehicle in a family of 5 with all the commitments of kids in sports and music to go with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
JeffKim
Rep

Bummer. If you refer to the thread in my previous post (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1666305&page=3) it describes the symptoms me and Jim had which led to a malfunctioning JBE. Basically the symptom was that the dash was lighting up like a Xmas tree with all sorts of warnings. Are you seeing those? I don't know much about the X5 but in my vintage of E90 a used JBE was not too expensive on eBay a bit of a PIA to install but it at least resolved the problem of the warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #15
Marrken
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5

My symptoms were the wipers going like crazy for no reason and not stopping in the proper location (emergency mode - I think). Then I noticed that central locking was gone along with my glove box not opening. I checked all the fuses and they tested good. Only problem was that I cannot reach the back fuses in the flip down fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side.
How the F$%^! are you supposed to get at those????
I read through a bunch of people coding and bricking JBEs. As well we only have two cars with 3 kids and lots of sports etc... I need my X5 ASAP so I bought a brand new JBE from ECS Tuning and want to install it.

2 ISSUES

1. How do I get that fuse panel under the dash to flip down enough to swap the JBE
2. Can I just swap it and run ISTA/P telling it I replaced the JBE? or do I need to backup the old one and program the new one with other software INPA or WinKFP or some such?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #16
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrken View Post
My symptoms were the wipers going like crazy for no reason and not stopping in the proper location (emergency mode - I think). Then I noticed that central locking was gone along with my glove box not opening. I checked all the fuses and they tested good. Only problem was that I cannot reach the back fuses in the flip down fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side.
How the F$%^! are you supposed to get at those????
I read through a bunch of people coding and bricking JBEs. As well we only have two cars with 3 kids and lots of sports etc... I need my X5 ASAP so I bought a brand new JBE from ECS Tuning and want to install it.

2 ISSUES

1. How do I get that fuse panel under the dash to flip down enough to swap the JBE
2. Can I just swap it and run ISTA/P telling it I replaced the JBE? or do I need to backup the old one and program the new one with other software INPA or WinKFP or some such?
You want Step #5 from post #7. Write the original Vehicle Order to the new JBE. Protool can do this job if you don't have the BMW coding tools

Search https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for removal of the old JBE. On my E90, I had to remove the panel under the steering wheel and the panel nearest the drivers door to access the JBE module.

Last edited by MacE90; 04-07-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:56 PM   #17
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
You want Step #5 from post #7. Write the original Vehicle Order to the new JBE. Protool can do this job if you don't have the BMW coding tools

Search https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for removal of the old JBE. On my E90, I had to remove the panel under the steering wheel and the panel nearest the drivers door to access the JBE module.

Can the full Jbe swap/programming be done with just protool? I want to help
My friend who needs a new Jbe in his x5.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 11:10 PM   #18
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

I was able to get a cheap, used JBE from 2013 X6M for my 2010 X6M. Plug and play- everything works perfectly.
Appreciate 0