E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Burnout Feature ? Really?

04-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Burnout Feature ? Really?

According to drive, Ford will be the first car makers to have this feature in their latest mustang. This is really necessary?

How many of us will actually use this as a dealbreaker for the next car that you're buying?

To me this feature is useless. and what more australia have this Hoon law category.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...422-371w0.html
Now: BMW X5 F15 M50d
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Wish I had this feature in my car.

It's just supposed to be used for drag racing only.

Pretty sure launch control is illegal to use on NSW roads as well as you would get some wheel slip whilst accelerating and that's also illegal.
      04-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

It's certainly an interesting option, at the end of the day 99% of most road users would probably never use it but if it works quite well and it may well be a 1up for ford in the cut throat muscle car USDM.

It would be nice to have if you go to the drags quite often as line lockers are $1K+ and AFAIK illegal in a street car whereas since this is factory of course it would be legal.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Is this the same as launch control on the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
Different. A line locker is used to lock the front brakes so that's he rear wheels are free to spin without moving forward. This causes a burnout to warm the tyres up to optimal temps for maximum grip.

Without a line locker you need to quickly get off the clutch and hit the brakes whilst still hard on the throttle. This will apply both brakes but as the rear wheels are driving they'll overpower the rear brakes and still spin. This still works but you'll be dragging the rear brakes still which will wear them out faster than if they weren't on at all like with a proper line locker.
      04-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Wish I had this feature in my car.

It's just supposed to be used for drag racing only.

Pretty sure launch control is illegal to use on NSW roads as well as you would get some wheel slip whilst accelerating and that's also illegal.
Man! you wished you had everything in your car :P hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
different. Launch control is basically keeping the rev at a certain RPM When you press the Brake and accelarator as the same time but I believe it's not as simple as stepping the brakes and gas together. There are steps to be taken before LC is activated Ie off DTC I believe then put of M mode then press both paddle shifters then LC activated then press the brakes hard and press the gas till you hit the click button then it should REV just let the brakes go to launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Different. A line locker is used to lock the front brakes so that's he rear wheels are free to spin without moving forward. This causes a burnout to warm the tyres up to optimal temps for maximum grip.

Without a line locker you need to quickly get off the clutch and hit the brakes whilst still hard on the throttle. This will apply both brakes but as the rear wheels are driving they'll overpower the rear brakes and still spin. This still works but you'll be dragging the rear brakes still which will wear them out faster than if they weren't on at all like with a proper line locker.
Man you sound like a walking Wikipedia! Thats your new nickname
Now: BMW X5 F15 M50d
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Ahh, thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Good feature I approve.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

http://jalopnik.com/use-the-2015-mus...you-1567209420

Use it, and you lose your warranty. Sound so much like the R35 transmission saga lol
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0