E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Owner's Track Drive Experience & M Driving School



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
mikeym40
Private
61
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

New Owner's Track Drive Experience & M Driving School

Since purchasing my 2022 M40i, I was offered the complementary track dive experience in SC or CA. Has anyone done this and is it worth it? I have family in both Palm Springs and in North Augusta-SC and was going to plan a trip from NY. In addition, I was thinking of also adding the m driving school but not sure it's worth the $1500.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
BobsM3Coupe's Avatar
United_States
1142
Rep
3,382
Posts

Drives: X5MC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym40 View Post
Since purchasing my 2022 M40i, I was offered the complementary track dive experience in SC or CA. Has anyone done this and is it worth it? I have family in both Palm Springs and in North Augusta-SC and was going to plan a trip from NY. In addition, I was thinking of also adding the m driving school but not sure it's worth the $1500.

Thanks all.
The new owners track drive is kind of boring. It runs maybe 3 hours long. 2 people in each vehicle.
The 1 day M school is fantastic. Well worth the $1500 price. Includes a nice lunch. You drive the car by yourself.
Appreciate 1
jmg16029.00
      04-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
pseto
Major General
pseto's Avatar
United_States
709
Rep
7,733
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rockville, MD

iTrader: (4)

I've done both locations and you can't go wrong with either one. A lot more BMW/car stuff to do in Greer/Greenville with BMW CCA and Manufacturing there, but Palm Springs is the place to go if you're bringing GF/wife/whatever.

M school is a must at either location, will worth the cost to flog their cars all day. If you're not a BMW CCA member, you need to join now. The standard 15% discount will pay for your membership alone for several years.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
President, National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA)
East Coast Governor, ///M Chapter

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
105
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i 22
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

I am also interested in what comes in the default "complimentary" track day experience. The details on the site are hard to tell. Do you get to drive? Do you get shown how to do some "non-every day" driving techniques"? Do you get shown how to get the most of the driving modes (shifting points, rev patterns, etc)?

I am not really interested in a full track experience. I would just like to drive fast and learn a little more. If I can get that in the "free" package, that is what I would like.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
mikeym40
Private
61
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBMWX3 View Post
I am also interested in what comes in the default "complimentary" track day experience. The details on the site are hard to tell. Do you get to drive? Do you get shown how to do some "non-every day" driving techniques"? Do you get shown how to get the most of the driving modes (shifting points, rev patterns, etc)?

I am not really interested in a full track experience. I would just like to drive fast and learn a little more. If I can get that in the "free" package, that is what I would like.
Yeah. The website is cryptic, and they don't say too much on the phone. This will be a bit of a travel for me, so want to take full advantage. Will call again.

Let me know if you hear of anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #6
Theruleslawyer
Lieutenant
Theruleslawyer's Avatar
United_States
586
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: 2019 m4
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

How does insurance work at the m school? That another couple hundred? Do they eventually let you out alone, or is it lead follow the whole time?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #7
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
201
Rep
521
Posts

Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: on the road to perdition

iTrader: (1)

We did the 2 day school in Palm Springs. Learned a lot and had fun. Did it with my spouse. Somewhere is a report on the fun.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 04-14-2022 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #8
happyjack
Captain
happyjack's Avatar
United_States
1252
Rep
792
Posts

Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: old line state

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
i took delivery of my M2C at the performance center in greer. at that time, my instructor and the delivery associate both told me that the "complimentary one-day program" would not be significantly more than the experience that i got doing PCD. maybe they're encouraged to upsell the other programs, but both of them said i should take the option of using the $849 as a credit and do the one-day M School instead.

in looking at the complimentary program description i am leaning towards taking their advice and booking the M School for my son and me, so we can get some real track time. the "handling course" that's mentioned in the complimentary program is the closest thing you'll get to "track time" as you're probably envisioning it...but it's really not much bigger or longer than an autocross-type course. the only full course laps that we got at PCD was with the instructor driving (aka hot laps). maybe the full-day complementary program also gets you some 'lead-follow' time on the big track...but i dont see it in the program description.

don't get me wrong, the PCD experience is awesome and i'm sure the complimentary one-day program is loads of fun if you've never driven on a track. however, if you've had even a single day of track time, i think you'll be a bit underwhelmed by the complimentary course if that's all you do. the factory tour is great / super interesting, and the museum is really nice as well, so there are other factors that would make the trip to greer worthwhile...but not necessarily worth getting on a plane.

separately, the instructors and people who run these programs are really top-notch and their love of cars, driving, and bimmers in particular is evident for every event i've ever done through BMWNA.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
How does insurance work at the m school? That another couple hundred? Do they eventually let you out alone, or is it lead follow the whole time?
i could be wrong, but i believe you only drive program-owned cars for any other these courses. everything is included in the purchase price of the course.
__________________

my garage:'21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '15 F22 x-drive coupe sport line; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 s-drive28i MT M-sport

Last edited by happyjack; 04-13-2022 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry4537.50
      04-13-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
FrankMstein
Lieutenant
FrankMstein's Avatar
United_States
397
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3 Infiniti G37x
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
i took delivery of my M2C at the performance center in greer. at that time, my instructor and the delivery associate both told me that the "complimentary one-day program" would not be significantly more than the experience that i got doing PCD. maybe they're encouraged to upsell the other programs, but both of them said i should take the option of using the $849 as a credit and do the one-day M School instead.

in looking at the complimentary program description i am leaning towards taking their advice and booking the M School for my son and me, so we can get some real track time. the "handling course" that's mentioned in the complimentary program is the closest thing you'll get to "track time" as you're probably envisioning it...but it's really not much bigger or longer than an autocross-type course. the only full course laps that we got at PCD was with the instructor driving (aka hot laps). maybe the full-day complementary program also gets you some 'lead-follow' time on the big track...but i dont see it in the program description.

don't get me wrong, the PCD experience is awesome and i'm sure the complimentary one-day program is loads of fun if you've never driven on a track. however, if you've had even a single day of track time, i think you'll be a bit underwhelmed by the complimentary course if that's all you do. the factory tour is great / super interesting, and the museum is really nice as well, so there are other factors that would make the trip to greer worthwhile...but not necessarily worth getting on a plane.

separately, the instructors and people who run these programs are really top-notch and their love of cars, driving, and bimmers in particular is evident for every event i've ever done through BMWNA.




i could be wrong, but i believe you only drive program-owned cars for any other these courses. everything is included in the purchase price of the course.
Yes, you drive their cars not yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 10:02 PM   #10
mikeym40
Private
61
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Leaning toward CA, but are hotels really like an hour away. Might keep the wife and kid home so, should I book SC?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 07:59 AM   #11
FrankMstein
Lieutenant
FrankMstein's Avatar
United_States
397
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3 Infiniti G37x
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

There isn't much in Spartanburg. Pretty boring. I'd go to CA. and I live just down the street from Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #12
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
16029
Rep
13,152
Posts

Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive, i3 LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [0.00]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym40 View Post
Leaning toward CA, but are hotels really like an hour away. Might keep the wife and kid home so, should I book SC?
Hotels are 15-20 minutes away. Check Indian Springs, not Palm Springs. There is plenty to do for the wife and kids. They can drop you off in the morning, watch for a bit then go to the outlets for shopping, or back to the hotel pool. I've stayed at the Miramonte which has a nice pool and restaurant. You can certainly go more upscale but I found this a pretty good option for the price.

I would definitely go for the 1 Day M School as the "Track Day" is pretty light on actually learning how to drive fast but more of an opportunity to drive fast. The drag races are pretty boring besides learning how to stop within the stop boxes, and there is no useless drag racing at M School.
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 03:12 AM   #13
harryneyt1
Registered
harryneyt1's Avatar
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

BMW M School is the premier educational program for enthusiasts, instructors and professional drivers. Learn to drive your BMW M car like an expert with the aid of an instructor and fellow students with similar abilities.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry4537.50
      06-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #14
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
5092
Rep
6,192
Posts

Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I did a combo PCD into 2 Day M school a few years ago. M school isn't cheap, but its a TON of driving for the money. Be sure to take something for motion sickness if you are prone to that if you do it. Its Challenge by Choice as they say, but my stomach wasn't quite up for that much of a challenge.
__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 ||| 2023 X3 M40
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:13 AM   #15
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Onizukachan's Avatar
United_States
692
Rep
1,136
Posts

Drives: F31d
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: El Paso

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiaoluwato View Post
An alter ego of mine, a professional spambot writer, has been attending various typing courses and schools all the time, despite having been Typing as a spambot for almost 30 years.
Fixed that for you…
__________________
‘15 F31d M-Sport Up For Sale has the usual OEM+ mods:
LCI AC controls & radio trim, F80 paddles + sliding merino armrest + knee bolster, EU headlight switch, 340/330 brake upgrade, KW Street Comfort coilovers -1.5”F and -1”R , Match UP7BMW + Earthquake 8xi, Alzor 758 19x8.5 et33 DWS06+ 235/40/19, Ikon DP lip and mPerf diffuser rep.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST