E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Older N55 Engine in a New N55e chassis

08-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Older N55 Engine in a New N55e chassis

Current Engine: Late N55e with F30 style HPFP
New Engine: Early N55e with N54 style HPFP

I recently purchased a new motor because my spun a bearing. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to drop this motor in. I'm looking all over the place for a solution to my supposed issue. I have an older N55 with the older style hpfp and the one that is currently in the car has the newer style hpfp. Wondering if i can simply unbolt the old style vacuum pump and swap it with the new style.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #2
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 S65/DCT

You can swap the Vac pump and hpfp drive but keep in mind that the newer N55 uses different chain tensioner setup and you cannot transfer that as the block lacks provisions for it. The result is less than ideal, there is a slight chance that the chain will have slack during extreme RPM drops/shifts. I'd do a fresh tensioner at the very least if you're dead set on using this block. You'll definitely need the special tool to hold the vac sprocket, that bolt is on there TIGHT.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
You can swap the Vac pump and hpfp drive but keep in mind that the newer N55 uses different chain tensioner setup and you cannot transfer that as the block lacks provisions for it. The result is less than ideal, there is a slight chance that the chain will have slack during extreme RPM drops/shifts. I'd do a fresh tensioner at the very least if you're dead set on using this block. You'll definitely need the special tool to hold the vac sprocket, that bolt is on there TIGHT.
What about if I just remove the mounting plate from the vac pump to the hpfp to fit the newer style? Wouldn’t that work simply doing that?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #4
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Pm’d you
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 S65/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlyN55 View Post
What about if I just remove the mounting plate from the vac pump to the hpfp to fit the newer style? Wouldn’t that work simply doing that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlyN55 View Post
Pm’d you
From what I recall, the vac pump internals were different and we couldn't do what you're suggesting. Have to swap the whole vac pump assembly.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #6
Mdilo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

In my opinion its not worth it because the newer N55 had several improvements over the 1st gen N55. Also if you have the 1st gen N55 with the first style UE5 injectors that have the straight injector hold down bar (opposed to the newer T style) I don't thin you can put the newer UE5 or UE6 injectors in it. The oil pump/vac pump chain on the 1st gen N55 has the spring style tensioner and the newer N55 has a different style tensioner (the block is different to hold this tensioner)..so there will be fitment issues with swapping the new HPFP over like others mentioned. I would sell your older gen N55 and find a newer one.
Appreciate 0