E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > This might be a problem :rolleyes:

08-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 318i

This might be a problem :rolleyes:

Got round to doing the timing chain today on my N43. Time to start fishing for parts out of the sump. There's a lot of plastic missing!

This is all that came out when I removed the chain / guide!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

If i were you i would remove the sump. All those pieces will be stuck in the oil pickup. There is no way to remove them properly without removing the sump. If you don't get all of them out the engine will be starved of oil and it will eventually cause engine failure. It is quite a common problem for this engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:18 AM   #3
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

I’ve been thinking of having a go at this on my N43. That looks very broken. Out of interest what sort of mileage and service history have you got?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:19 AM   #4
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongmark View Post
I’ve been thinking of having a go at this on my N43. That looks very broken. Out of interest what sort of mileage and service history have you got?
It's been pretty well mullered.
I got the car a bit over a year ago, complete with 95k miles, no service history and an oil pressure warning.
I really should have fixed this sooner!

So far, the upper chain isn't turning out to be a bad job. Going to take the sump off today (which should be done at part of the upper chain process anyway), clear it and do the oil chain. Should be interesting to see what's in the sump!

General advice seems to be that the chains are only good for 60k miles. At that point, the tensioner has to be done at the very least. If there are any signs at all that the chain has stretched then the chain and guides have to be done.

If you do change yours, let me know. Looks like I might be pretty close to you - I've got the timing kit if you want to borrow it
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Today was sump-off day

Unfortunately some of the pieces I pulled out of the oil feed pipe (the pic of bits on the ground) were miniscule so it's likely that they're all through the oil system. Goddamit
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

Looks like chocolate pieces 😁
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post
Looks like chocolate pieces 😁
Chocolate would be easier to deal with, although more confusing as to why it was in the sump
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #8
KnighTT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 - 2011 E92 335is

This doesn't really help but that sump is a clear indication that this car was very poorly maintained. I have pulled 3 different n54 oil pans with over 150k miles and they have an amber patina, and maybe some buildup here and there, but that sump is jet black. (unless that sump has an inner black coating for some weird reason)

Clear signs of poor oil change intervals, cheap oils, or all of the above.

If that engine only has 95k miles....it was not taken care of. I say this as I would be looking over the car for signs of other issues worth taking care of before there are more issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnighTT View Post
unless that sump has an inner black coating
Which indeed it is coated black inside and out
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #10
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnighTT View Post
This doesn't really help but that sump is a clear indication that this car was very poorly maintained. I have pulled 3 different n54 oil pans with over 150k miles and they have an amber patina, and maybe some buildup here and there, but that sump is jet black. (unless that sump has an inner black coating for some weird reason)

Clear signs of poor oil change intervals, cheap oils, or all of the above.

If that engine only has 95k miles....it was not taken care of. I say this as I would be looking over the car for signs of other issues worth taking care of before there are more issues.
You're right about the dark coating. This appears to be the steel pan, which has a coat of black paint inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpBimmer View Post
General advice seems to be that the chains are only good for 60k miles. At that point, the tensioner has to be done at the very least. If there are any signs at all that the chain has stretched then the chain and guides have to be done.

If you do change yours, let me know. Looks like I might be pretty close to you - I've got the timing kit if you want to borrow it
That’s a very generous offer, I may well take you up on that. I replaced the tensioner a few years back as I got a slight noise when cold at certain RPMs. Not had any issues since but would like to do this time permitting. The bit that’s putting me off is dropping the sub frame to get the oil sump out. Also don’t want to spill oil on my new drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #12
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That’s a very generous offer, I may well take you up on that. I replaced the tensioner a few years back as I got a slight noise when cold at certain RPMs. Not had any issues since but would like to do this time permitting. The bit that’s putting me off is dropping the sub frame to get the oil sump out. Also don’t want to spill oil on my new drive.
No worries. Let me know.

The sump wasn't a bad job, it's just a bit awkward laying on the driveway.
If the guide comes out in one piece then there's no absolute need to take off the sump (although it is advisable). You just need to be gentle when removing / reinstalling the chain and guide. Without removing the sump, the chain and guide can be done in day.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

A while ago I was toying with the idea of using an inspection camera in the sump to see if there were any bits of guid in there (without dropping the sump). Do you think this might be possible through the oil sensor hole?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

FWIW - It is entirely possible to set the cam timing properly without using ANY special tools. I've done it many times...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLivingston View Post
FWIW - It is entirely possible to set the cam timing properly without using ANY special tools. I've done it many times...
On which engine? N43?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #16
RayLivingston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

I've done it many time on M54. I would assume the process is quite similar on later ones. I did it the first time mostly out of necessity - I didn't have the tools, but had to rebuild the VANOS. I studied the service manual, to understand exactly what the point of the tools was, and just improvised. As it turned out, the base position is not exceedingly critical, and VANOS has more range than is actually needed. I used a straight-edge to get the cams aligned properly (the flats across the top of the cams must be exactly co-planar. In that position, the exhaust helical "cup" had ~1mm of the helix showing, and the intake "cup" was pushed all the way in. Then just put the VANOS in place, and tighten it all up. I've probably done it 4-5 times now, and never had a fault. When I watch the cam timing in INPA, it is always spot-on the target.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
LimpBimmer
Walking to fix my car
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A while ago I was toying with the idea of using an inspection camera in the sump to see if there were any bits of guid in there (without dropping the sump). Do you think this might be possible through the oil sensor hole?
I'd guess that an inspection camera won't work well.
With the oil drained it's still pretty black and the pieces might not be that big.
If your car is getting to the point where a new chain is needed then inspect the guide as it comes out. If it's broken up then you know the sump has to come off
Appreciate 0