E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 DME Failure? MEVD172

09-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

Unhappy E90 DME Failure? MEVD172

Is anyone here familiar with the MEVD172 DME?

I have issues with the water pump running randomly when the vehicle is turned off, even when cold. I removed my JB-4 and flashed back to stock, the issue persists. Oil level sensor shows INACTIVE as well..Everything in the BSD line has been replaced.. new DENSO alternator, new battery coded, new VDO water pump/thermostat, new OEM oil level sensor and new OEM IBS sensor. I also changed my ignition coils with new OEM coils to see if that was the issue. I checked all the engine harness and I do not see any shorts. Voltage reads 12.5 when vehicle is off and 14 when running the vehicle with the alternator.

The only thing left is the DME at this point.... but I am not getting any DME error codes....

An important note, I notice when I start the vehicle it shows the service symbol for 9000 miles for oil change each time the vehicle starts. I also cannot reset the oil service symbol, but can reset all other values (brakes, brake fluid) - when the BSD issues begin it changes the service symbol to 1700 miles when starting the vehicle. And sometimes the service symbol just turns RED with 0 miles.

The issue comes on randomly and during long drives. When I unplug the negative terminal of the battery overnight the BSD issues subside and wont come back for maybe around 150 miles. I drove the vehicle today for 2 hours and had no BSD codes. Then after I went to get fuel and started the vehicle the issues began.

Will a software update at the dealer fix this issue? Or is a DME replacement the only fix?
Attached Images

09-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

check the coil wiring and engine ground wire
because if the main ground will be broken, the ground going thru the ECU will be used
also as a test you can try diagnose the pump and see if it will show pump speed
in a worst case you have to replace BSD transceiver in MEVD or replace MEVD
      09-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
check the coil wiring and engine ground wire
because if the main ground will be broken, the ground going thru the ECU will be used
also as a test you can try diagnose the pump and see if it will show pump speed
in a worst case you have to replace BSD transceiver in MEVD or replace MEVD
I checked the coil wiring and ground wire and they look good. No signs of corrosion. Unplugging the IBS sensor overnight fixes the issue, but then it returns.

Car starts with 14.2-14.4 volts then after a few hours of driving it goes to 13.8 volts and the first code to come up is IBS sensor missing.

I wonder if not resetting the oil level sensor has to do with these issues and an internal DME fault.
      09-29-2021, 04:27 AM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

By checkig the coil wiring i meant that coils have connectors to the coils and from another side they have control wires going to DME, but supply is going to positive cable and ground is attached to some point on engine. and this ground coil attachment can be removed during some maintenance work and not fixed back properly.
      10-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
MTK24
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I checked a few values with the BimmerLink app to see the battery voltage. It stayed around 13.8-14V

I also noticed when I try to check battery power from IBS and battery temp from IBS it shows weird values

It seems there is a cut off here and something is not working if it is showing these values.

Anyone know what that could be?
Attached Images