E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 335I Sedan Windshield Replacement Which Brand To Chose??

12-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Vampire335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

I am confused by the quality of windshield glass types..

The aftermarket pilkington has a tint shade at the top and my original glass does not. The shop told me the pilkington glass with no shade is OE glass with the bmw logo (nearly double the price)

They have a FYG brand that looks like the original for half the price.

Any suggestions?
BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
bennye90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

I went aftermarket and my rain sensor is whack. It works but not as well as the oem glass. Just my .02.. my aftermarket came with tint at the top as well. Last time I let my pops do it for me while im on vacation lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
tgyberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3

Probably should go OEM
      12-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Vampire335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
Probably should go OEM
I was debating whether I should go FYG or Pilkton.

Does anyone have experience with FYG glass? I know it's made in China. It's half the price of dealer glass. Will it be terrible at rain sensing and auto anti fog? I hate to buy it and have it glued to the car and then it is terrible quality
BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
tgyberg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire335i View Post
I was debating whether I should go FYG or Pilkton.

Does anyone have experience with FYG glass? I know it's made in China. It's half the price of dealer glass. Will it be terrible at rain sensing and auto anti fog? I hate to buy it and have it glued to the car and then it is terrible quality
Yep, could turn out like bennye90's deal did above. I've always gone OEM not matter what hassle / cost
      12-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
335ijax904
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
Probably should go OEM

^
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennye90 View Post
I went aftermarket and my rain sensor is whack. It works but not as well as the oem glass. Just my .02.. my aftermarket came with tint at the top as well. Last time I let my pops do it for me while im on vacation lol
Isn't there a way to recalibrate that sensor after an issue like that? I swear I read something somewhere with a description.

Ah:

I need to see if I can do the same since mine no longer worked after a windshield replacement before I bought the car.
      12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

You can go aftermarket and it will work well, but it will be slightly thinner than OEM and this will mean slightly more noise in the cabin. Most people don't notice it. This is one of the main ways the aftermarket glass is cheaper than OEM. OEMs do this to improve the sound isolation in the cabin.

As to all other problems reported with aftermarket glass, most of those have to do with the installer and not the glass itself. The e90's windshield has a more complicated install due to how it attaches to the lower cowl and the rain sensor. However a good installer knows how to do this right and will get it correct whether the glass is OEM or aftermarket.
      12-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
BravoJohny33
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
You can go aftermarket and it will work well, but it will be slightly thinner than OEM and this will mean slightly more noise in the cabin. Most people don't notice it. This is one of the main ways the aftermarket glass is cheaper than OEM. OEMs do this to improve the sound isolation in the cabin.

As to all other problems reported with aftermarket glass, most of those have to do with the installer and not the glass itself. The e90's windshield has a more complicated install due to how it attaches to the lower cowl and the rain sensor. However a good installer knows how to do this right and will get it correct whether the glass is OEM or aftermarket.
You would be surprised how many installers have ZERO clue about the BMW e90 cowl that will cause leaks. My installer left the part off then when i said something they said its impossible to have a leak because the cowl retaining strip is not there. I am in the process of them pulling the windshield and do it again. I then went around to a ton of different windshield shops and most of them also had ZERO clue about the cowl causing leaks. Plus be aware they will not use OEM molding and they will replace your OEM molding with cheap by the roll stuff. This can increase wind noise.

They also broke my fogging sensor and I had to reinitialize the rain sensor with INPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
BravoJohny33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Isn't there a way to recalibrate that sensor after an issue like that? I swear I read something somewhere with a description.

Ah:

I need to see if I can do the same since mine no longer worked after a windshield replacement before I bought the car.
Yeah I had to do that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I was always told 3 grades. OE, OEM, and aftermarket. No different than with auto parts--a BMW spark plug is blue, and OE. A Bosch spark plug is OEM, and green. So the best glass i.e. most expensive, will always have a BMW logo on it, regardless of if made by Saint Gobain Sekurit, Pilkington, or Fuyao. Seems like it's tough to avoid Fuyao these days. I insisted on Saint Gobain Sekurit with a BMW logo, since that's what the car came with. A girl working for the lizard co. really gave me a hard time.

My buddy's wife had a crack on a brand new Lexus. He insisted on OE, and got it. The bill showed $1,200 even though it was the entry level Nx200t. This is why insurance doesn't like it, they could have put aftermarket in for likely $130 or less. But he has no deductible in FLA, so not his concern...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
BravoJohny33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I was always told 3 grades. OE, OEM, and aftermarket. No different than with auto parts--a BMW spark plug is blue, and OE. A Bosch spark plug is OEM, and green. So the best glass i.e. most expensive, will always have a BMW logo on it, regardless of if made by Saint Gobain Sekurit, Pilkington, or Fuyao. Seems like it's tough to avoid Fuyao these days. I insisted on Saint Gobain Sekurit with a BMW logo, since that's what the car came with. A girl working for the lizard co. really gave me a hard time.

My buddy's wife had a crack on a brand new Lexus. He insisted on OE, and got it. The bill showed $1,200 even though it was the entry level Nx200t. This is why insurance doesn't like it, they could have put aftermarket in for likely $130 or less. But he has no deductible in FLA, so not his concern...
Glass really makes hardly difference. You are more likely to get fucked by a poor install. I can tell you these techs have zero clue about the rain sensor and fogging sensor. They will also use non oem parts to put it back together. So you will end up having a 600 dollar windshield sitting on crappy glue, with crappy molding and a broken fogging sensor and rain sensor that needs to be initialized in INPA or other software. Most people will never know they have a broken fogging sensor because the only way to know is if you scan your car.

I much rather have 150 dollar glass installed right with OEM molding.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Glass really makes hardly difference. You are more likely to get fucked by a poor install. I can tell you these techs have zero clue about the rain sensor and fogging sensor. They will also use non oem parts to put it back together. So you will end up having a 600 dollar windshield sitting on crappy glue, with crappy molding and a broken fogging sensor and rain sensor that needs to be initialized in INPA or other software. Most people will never know they have a broken fogging sensor because the only way to know is if you scan your car.

I much rather have 150 dollar glass installed right with OEM molding.
But isn't it more realistic that it's the same guy, regardless of the glass? Meaning, you don't get to chose the tech (at least I have never seen that).

Another tip, don't have a guy come out in a van, go to the shop. Especially in winter.

But I know what you mean. We had some dude come out in a van to our house, and my wife video'd him. He was jumping on my E92 trying to press the glass in, and f'd it up. Never again.

But you also know Murphy's law. You fight for a sweet OE windshield, within a month or two you get another rock hitting it...that happened to me.

Another thing I was told the molding is not the actual seal, you can have no molding. So the seal is critical...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
BravoJohny33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
But isn't it more realistic that it's the same guy, regardless of the glass? Meaning, you don't get to chose the tech (at least I have never seen that).

Another tip, don't have a guy come out in a van, go to the shop. Especially in winter.

But I know what you mean. We had some dude come out in a van to our house, and my wife video'd him. He was jumping on my E92 trying to press the glass in, and f'd it up. Never again.

But you also know Murphy's law. You fight for a sweet OE windshield, within a month or two you get another rock hitting it...that happened to me.

Another thing I was told the molding is not the actual seal, you can have no molding. So the seal is critical...
I went to a physical shop with 100's of 5 star reviews. I did my research got OE glass and I still got a leak that broke my blower motor. Here is another thing..

These glass shops do not and cannot order OEM parts. They can get OEM BMW glass with the logo but thats it. But what happen with me is they broke the fogging sensor and lost the OEM mouldings. They were pretty lost on what to do because they use all generic parts. Its getting taken care of but I am having to order the parts. If I was just a little old lady in a BMW I would be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Check out this video on the e90. The guy clearly knows what he's doing and shows all the little details of the e90.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Vampire335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This was the FYG glass. It looks identical to the OEM and all star auto glass promises me rain sensor and anti fog would work the same as OEM.
Attached Images

BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #17
Vampire335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I called a few glass shops and they all told me the only difference is the logo. The glass is the same.

If the molding and glue is done right there should be no cabin noise
BMS Chargepipe
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

I personally watched two windshields tested to destruction by the installer that did mine. One was aftermarket glass, the other OE. They were in totaled cars that had no windshield damage.

The OE one performed much better resisting chips and cracking, the Safelite one was horrible. He also showed me with a micrometer how the glass was actually thinner than the OE one.

If you have glass protection you can mandate that they use glass that's the same thickness as OE as it's part of the car's structure in a rollover. I also have an email from the SA at my dealership showing that both the fogging sensor and the rain sensor need to be dealer calibrated when the windshield is replaced which means any shop that doesn't have at least INPA is out. That gets me out of having Safelite glass forced on me every time.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 12-07-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
BravoJohny33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire335i View Post
This was the FYG glass. It looks identical to the OEM and all star auto glass promises me rain sensor and anti fog would work the same as OEM.
Do you have software to test both of those sensors? Without software you will never know if they broke the fogging sensor or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #20
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Do you have software to test both of those sensors? Without software you will never know if they broke the fogging sensor or not.
It is BMWNA's policy that both be replaced when the glass is replaced, as most are damaged or broken during removal by technicians.

That's why the rain sensor mounting and the fog sensor itself come pre-mounted on the OE windscreen. Sure, an experienced, qualified tech can do it, but if they don't have the equipment to test it, it anyone's guess. Even if it is good, the calibration won't be right when you change it to a new windscreen, as it's likely the tint is somewhat different, etc. All windscreen batched are different from each other in color to some extent.
      12-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i AW/CR

I have Fuyao(FYG?), was told it was going to be Pilkington or S.G. when I set up the appointment. I have no issue, looks just as good as the OE glass, but not sure on the thickness compared to OE. I made sure to ask the tech(random glass place in Davis) if he knew how to properly seal the windshield and about the cowl seal and he said he knew about it and it wouldn't be an issue. I have had no leaks and my rain sensor works fine, not sure on the fogger sensor, I should probably check.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [4.42]
I used Pilkington as a OEM windshield replacement. It came with all the necessary sensors and they upgraded me to the solar coated windshield like the EU has. The company I used was recommended by the local BMW club and the guy did a great job, he knew his BMW's. Didn't need anything recalibrated, it was PnP.

335is/DCT w/M3 GTS software and drivetrain/MHD/BQ Tuning
Appreciate 0