E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E90 Combox Retrofit - Connector Issue

03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Nickdot
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d & Megane 225 Trophy

E90 Combox Retrofit - Connector Issue

Hi guys,

I know there are a million threads on Combox retrofits - but I'm yet to see this issue.
I'm retrofitting a Combox telematik into my TCU ONLY equipped '09 E90 LCI with Pro Nav etc.

I knocked up my own adaptor harness;

Using the following wiring diagram;

And the following part numbers;

First issue, the TCU connector had two tabs that wouldn't seat within the Kufatec connector;

Cutting them off solved that - but is that the correct thing to do? I had to specifically search it to find a thread that mentioned having to do so.

Next issue, and this is the one I'm hoping gets answered by this thread.
I fitted everything, reconnected the battery, walked away from the car, and a few moments later was greeted by the emergency services talking to me through the car (nothing has been coded - ignition off, no buttons were pressed etc) - so something was obviously wrong. I disconnected the battery and disconnected the combox again.

I was lucky enough to recieve the original plug/harness with the combox I bought, and upon closer inspection, the original connector is flipped 180 degrees to the connector I made my harness with;
(my harness on the left, original on the right).

It's hard to see from the photos, but the arrows are in the same direction, but the pins are opposites;

On my harness, the pins are numbered 1-13 bottom to top, on the original connector, they are numbered 14-26 top to bottom - and there is no way to reverse this within the housing, as they only slide in one way.
Comparing like for like pins on both connectors certainly looks like the black connector should be flipped 180 degrees.

Has anyone seen this before?
I'm thinking I should re-make the adaptor harness using the white connector block instead - I just find it weird that I have not seen this mentioned before (apologies if it has been covered before - links would be greatly appreciated).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
Nickdot
Private
Rep

Additionally, I'm retrofitting USB in my centre console (I know I need to re-wire my AUX for full 6FL - but that can wait).

Does anyone know what this black connector is floating in the centre console for?
It was disconnected - all my car came with from the factory in the centre console is AUX.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #3
Nickdot
Private
Rep

I'd love to be able to delete this thread - but I guess this teaches me a lesson not to make stupid mistakes again.

So.. just in case anyone else is confused as to why the pins are numbered differently between the original and newer connectors..

The connectors fit into the combox in 180 degree different orientations;

Easy.

/thread

EDIT; I have found that the black connector (and the connector on the white bracket) underneath the centre console that were not connected is for the phone cradle - so all good!
Cheers.

Last edited by Nickdot; 03-05-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
jarede33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E93

So glad I found this post! I have the same issue with my combox retrofit, original black/green connector is 180 degrees from blue/white connector. What was your resolution? Did you have to re-pin or did the way you made your harness work? I plan on using the original black/green connector if possible and can move the pins wherever is needed. Any instructions/guidance is greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #5
Nickdot
Private
Rep

Glad my mistake helped someone!!
The resolution was realising that the pin numbers are correct on the new connector. I noticed they were backwards compared to the original connector, but that's because it connects at 180 degrees to the original connector.
As long as you pin your connector as per the drawing/pinouts, you'll be fine!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
jarede33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E93

Thanks for the reply mate! I think I've figured out that regardless of the orientation, when looking straight at the connection on the combox, power (pin 1) is bottom left, ground (pin 14) is top left and so on. As long as the pins match up all will be good. Sounds like that's what you found out as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

I too am glad i stumbled on this little gem of a post! As I too am about to embark on this little combox retrofit venture and was thinking of self-making the harness rather than attempt to import the ready-made harness....and this would definately of stumped me, so thanks for that!

I have one question though; where did you manage to source the componants from?

The 26pin housing and pin connector seems pretty easy, as does the 22awg wire, but the Kufatec 54pin (37758 housing and connector) seem pretty illusive other than on thier own web, and the pins (male and female) only seem available to buy in multiples of 10000 units!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

ps - apologies for reminding you again of this thread ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
By the time you purchase a combox and the above connectors, your are most of the way to the cost of a CarPlay/android auto conversion. Once you have CarPlay, you will never use combox again.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #9
Jakey1973
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M Sport Business Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
By the time you purchase a combox and the above connectors, your are most of the way to the cost of a CarPlay/android auto conversion. Once you have CarPlay, you will never use combox again.
Not strictly true.

Yes the price is likely to come out close if not exceed the price for a combox install, however given that the Carplay MMI and HU are "attachements" and not fully integrated into the OEM setup, AND that there are some quality issues (bluetooth and sound mainly) surrounding some of the chinese made solutions available to us in the UK, mine and many other's preference is stick with OEM.

I have a Carplay in my Honda (aftermarket Pioneer HU) so I know what it offers and how asteticaly pleasing it is on the eye, but that litterally replaced the Honda sytem.

The Germans on the other hand by incorporating specific vehicle info and propietry apps into the core of CIC (and CCC NBT etc), closed the door on aftermarket integration or replacement.
Appreciate 0