E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

12-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #1871
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

I had this exhaust mod done years ago and I loved it. Keeping the flap on meant you could easily switch between quiet and loud with the jb4. It really opens up past 5k rpm. Sounds like a completely different car up there and sounds crazy in a good way

If anyone needs a stock pair of mufflers with tips and flap in tact, LMK. I have a pair for sale!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #1872
BimmaBwoy335i
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2010 E90 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyzsw View Post
I got a OEM bmw performance exhaust for sale if anyone is interested
Im interested. PM asap please.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #1873
thurstonhowelltha3rd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 335i

Less cat pipes down, x pipe, secondary delete, 2 vibrant 1792s, pe mod both mufflers(1 perforated pipe replaced with straight pipe in each muffler), 4 inch tips

Appreciate 1
      07-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #1874
course
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
Actually. I am working to make sure that it wasnt co-incidence. I currently made another muffler and just finished installing it. I wanted to make sure it was 100% before I go spilling beans to which may be nothing more than a mess.

Forgive me for trying to provide accurate results instead of guesses. I am the only one who has a modded factory muffler that replicates the PE exhaust. I just wanted to make sure so I have held off until today where I have finsihed a second muffler that sounds the exact same.

Here are the results. I can confirm as of 1 hour ago when I finished the second exhaust muffler that my method is consistant.

Step 1. cut the top of the muffler. Both of them.

Step 2. remove packcing on the perforated pipe (passenger side)

Step 3. replace passenger side perf pipe with straight stainless pipe.

Step 4. cut the canister out of the driver side. This WILL require cutting of the other side. I used a plasma cutter and only took 1 minute. (there is no packing on this side its inside the canister. No need to open it.

Step 5. replace driver side with stainless straight pipe.

Step 6. remove approximately 20% of the packing in the H/Y cross pipe on each side. (DO NOT CUT, OR TAMPER WITH THESE PIPES! AS ITS THE ONLY THING THAT TRULY KILLS THE DRONE! THIS IS THE SECRET EVERYONE HAS WANTED. SILLY YES BUT TRUE)

Step 7. Put back 75% of the packing in passenger side, pack tight all around.

Step 8. take the 25% from the passenger side muffler and the 20% from the two center pipes and stuff nicely on the driver side muffler so they are all equal.

Step 9. weld everything shut.

The car below 2500 rpms doesnt make enough pressure to generate complete straight trough exhaust and a good portion will get trapped in the cross pipe. Thus having the perforated pipe and packing stop drone and rasp.

At high rpms the pipes act as a bridged straight pipe. The packing in both mufflers stop the drone, rattle and help silence other things as well.

Sound is tricky. The only way to stop drone is to physically absorb it. Drone is like dead zones in a recording studio in a sense. So the rockwool is actually absorbing the drone from the staright pipes.

If you remove more than I have recommended you risk more drone, and the exhaust wont be much louder.

I will have pictures later.
I just did this on my passenger muffler and the sound is perfect! Thanks for the guide!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #1875
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstonhowelltha3rd View Post
Less cat pipes down, x pipe, secondary delete, 2 vibrant 1792s, pe mod both mufflers(1 perforated pipe replaced with straight pipe in each muffler), 4 inch tips

What were your numbers on the Dyno?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:35 PM   #1876
mike_o
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
What were your numbers on the Dyno?
Late to the party, but the video's description says 430whp.

BTW, I have a 335is (factory PE), FBO (incl. catless dp), and recently also Pure stage 2 turbos. The car was loud and droney before the Pure turbos, but I was surprised how much louder they made it.

I'm considering adding extra/custom mufflers, but I doubt if there's room for it anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 12:58 AM   #1877
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Sell me your M Performance exhaust I really don't want to buy stock mufflers for this mod and end up with merely an imitation of the real thing for the same price
      10-31-2023, 11:48 AM   #1878
lomon98
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i Sport + Edition

PE mod vs catless DPs

Hi,

this has probably been mentioned in this forum before but I was just wondering what mod would be better to make my exhaust louder (and not ricey ofc). As PE mod and catless DPs (vrsf I guess?) cost more or less the same (300 bucks or so) I was wondering which one would you guys recommend to do first (or only). Maybe I'll end up doing both in the future, but I wanna do just one first.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:19 PM   #1879
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomon98 View Post
Hi,

this has probably been mentioned in this forum before but I was just wondering what mod would be better to make my exhaust louder (and not ricey ofc). As PE mod and catless DPs (vrsf I guess?) cost more or less the same (300 bucks or so) I was wondering which one would you guys recommend to do first (or only). Maybe I'll end up doing both in the future, but I wanna do just one first.

Thanks!
Don't waste your time going straight pipe, muffler delete, or buying anything expensive. If you're capable with tools you can DIY the PE mod. It's an easy project. Pay a shop to weld everything back up. Throw on cat-less DP's and you'll love it. If you straight pipe you can enjoy the sound of rassssp and droooone. It's terrible if you daily long distances.

My exhaust is almost identical to the above video. It sounds deep, throaty, pops/bangs with MHD tunes, and no drone. The only cost was my time, 1792s ($130), welding labor ($100), x-pipe ($25), and used DP's ($250). Good luck finding a full exhaust for $500 with DP's. It's impossible. Cheers.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 11-06-2023 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:40 PM   #1880
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

catless downpipe (VSRF) + OEM mid pipe + real Performance Muffler = worst sound ever.

(I still have a OEM Performance muffler to sell, if someone want to try)

It sound shit, it's a shame for a L6 engine.

There's few option, but I'm going single exit. A bit the reason why the N55 sounds better.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 10-31-2023 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #1881
lomon98
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i Sport + Edition

PE mod vs catless DPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
Don't waste your time going straight pipe, muffler delete, or buying anything expensive. If you're capable with tools you can DIY the PE mod. It's an easy project. Pay a shop to weld everything back up. Throw on cat-less DP's and you'll love it. OR you can enjoy the sweet sound of rassssp and droooone. It's terrible if you daily or drive long distances.

My exhaust is almost identical to the above video. It sounds deep, throaty, pops/bangs with MHD tunes, and no drone. The only cost was my time, 1792s ($130), welding labor ($100), x-pipe ($25), and used BMS DP's ($250). Good luck finding a full system exhaust for $500. It's nearly impossible. Cheers.
Yeah I am afraid I don't have the tools, but if I were to get the DP I think I would buy a jack at least, it doesn't seem to be a difficult DIY job. My fear is that the PE mod won't be much noticeable alone (and wo catless DPs)...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #1882
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomon98 View Post
Yeah I am afraid I don't have the tools, but if I were to get the DP I think I would buy a jack at least, it doesn't seem to be a difficult DIY job. My fear is that the PE mod won't be much noticeable alone (and wo catless DPs)...
All you need a grinder, Sawzall, and like 3 exhaust parts from AutoZone. You don't want it super loud. That's the point. The N54 sounds bad straight piped w/ cat-less DPs. YouTube videos never show the DRONE while driving.
Appreciate 1