E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > another high boost N54 engine failure

01-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #969
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
race gas, menthanol injection, nitrous oxide are truly legitimate power adders -- i dont think that there is any debate to that end...

but i would like to add this as an engine builder (in the past tence) -- i would never ever recommend a guy use any of the above options unless he was willing to face the consequences -- good or bad! especially for those who are new to the horsepower game. taking a lot chances and relying on technology to support your practial knowledge is a bad combination. if youve become familiar with engine operation, and limits (yes limits) you can find a successful road to more and more horsepower.

remember the old adage-- Rome was not built in a day!!

the preplexing thing about modding your car is this -- are you an owner or not?

if you plan to keep the car, mod that thing into the ground. but if youre not, you may wanna consider the aftermath that may lay in the hands of an ususpecting 2nd owner.

i know this sounds like a buzz-kill to those on a "mod-high" --
but its food for thought
Thank you for driving my point home..its all about whether your willing to accept consquences..thats what I have been saying all along.

Curious tho why you would include race gas in your list..i mean if you running high octane unleaded with proper ethanol content, i dont think that is in the same risk category as Nos or meth..

I use Sunocco GT 100 w Shell 93..to get about a 96ish octane mix..def feel the difference..then straight 93

Last edited by tibra1; 01-10-2011 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #970
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
How many endurance race cars use methanol?

How many OEM tubocharged or supercharged motors specify the use of methanol?

Hmmmmm.........
The same number that recomend turning up the boost, changing the tune, putting on aftermatket parts. "Meth is dangerous mod at your own risk, for off road use only." Whats the end game of repeating yourselves? true car enthusiast know the risk of modding. However they often have several failures on the way to doing somthing good for the car scene. Even if these failures where caused by meth they are good for the scene. not peopple on a soap box saying dont do this dont do that. Its not Oem recomended? And to the comment about meth being world war 2 tech. SO IS FORCERD INDUCTION. THat is why they used to to keep charge temps down and make a little power. ANd please dont argue that our engines are different than the tech was then because so are the computers that run a current engine with all the safety features.
      01-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #971
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma 3 View Post
The same number that recomend turning up the boost, changing the tune, putting on aftermatket parts. "Meth is dangerous mod at your own risk, for off road use only." Whats the end game of repeating yourselves? true car enthusiast know the risk of modding. However they often have several failures on the way to doing somthing good for the car scene. Even if these failures where caused by meth they are good for the scene. not peopple on a soap box saying dont do this dont do that. Its not Oem recomended? And to the comment about meth being world war 2 tech. SO IS FORCERD INDUCTION. THat is why they used to to keep charge temps down and make a little power. ANd please dont argue that our engines are different than the tech was then because so are the computers that run a current engine with all the safety features.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #972
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Arent we here to tune the sh.t out of our cars ?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #973
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Arent we here to tune the sh.t out of our cars ?
Apparently some people on Car enthusiast forums (related to modifications) are still preaching OEM tuning and tactics.

Quite amusing isnt it?

I think these are the same people that werent allowed to wipe their own A$$ until they were 16.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #974
e92bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Wow Im glad I saw this thread. Most people buy the jb3 to save a couple of bucks. But there is no denying that the procede is much more advancd than the jb3. Also, its obvious that Shiv knows much more about tuning than Mike aka Terry. So its either pay a bit more for a tune now, and save lots in repair bills later. (This is my personal opinion which Im aloud to share, so hate if you want but thats just my opinion.)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #975
GQ335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (E60)

Damn, that's crazy man.
      02-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #976
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Thank you for driving my point home..its all about whether your willing to accept consquences..thats what I have been saying all along.

Curious tho why you would include race gas in your list..i mean if you running high octane unleaded with proper ethanol content, i dont think that is in the same risk category as Nos or meth..

I use Sunocco GT 100 w Shell 93..to get about a 96ish octane mix..def feel the difference..then straight 93
running straight race gas is not inherently bad, but what it tends to do is allow the uninformed (or unteachable) novice a feeling that is ok to press envelope. when you mix it, as most people do, the benefits are slightly decreased. so gauging your tolerance to knock is now a guessing game, kinda

race gas only provides a higher resistance to knock, but at high rpms, cylinder pressures and temps tend to skyrocket, along with forced induction its real tricky. it only takes a few revolutions of out of control combustion to wreak havoc.

if i was making this comment to a group of seasoned tuners -- it would be a lot different, but there is lot of guys out here just getting started.. Moderation is looked down on (at times), but when you are spending someone elses money and providing a service -- its a whole different ball game

Last edited by shifterboy45; 02-24-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0