E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cranks, No Start, No DME Communication - Will strangle bmw engineer(s) for solution

01-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
CptGudentite
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Slightly not stock

Angry Cranks, No Start, No DME Communication - Will strangle bmw engineer(s) for solution

Pre-LCI/Early 07 335i Auto ZF Trans - Slightly NOT stock

Car acts totally normal, lights come on, everything is good... click ignition button on, pump primes and never goes off, water pump can be heard turn on, clicking in engine bay just like normal when ON is pressed, car cranks strong... no start, no fuel smell. Cant communicate with DME via known good MHD and OBD2 Blutooth w/Torque
  • new built motor installed after car sat for 1 year no battery
  • no start
  • no dme communication
  • no fuel injecting into engine
  • fuel pump constantly priming/circulating gas when ignition is on
  • jb4 completely removed
  • new fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator
  • checked all glovebox & DME box fuses multiple times
  • swapped DME for backup 2nd cloned DME
  • checked/bypassed blue dme relay and 30g fuse box relay
  • checked all engine sensors are installed and proper plugs connected to engine
  • checked main ground strap & power wire to/from starter & alternator
  • battery voltage ~13 when off of charger but charger is left on charger during all work
  • disconnected IBS sensors to battery
Mods
  • Engine - Forged Rods/Pistons/Ported Heads
  • Hybrid Stage 2+ Turbos
  • Index 12 Injectors
  • NEW Stage 2+ Fuel Pump
  • Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV
  • 3.5 Bar MAP
  • Big Aftermarket Intercooler
  • Relocated Inlet/Outles
  • Downpipes
  • Borla Sport Exhaust
  • Catch Can
  • PCV Valve
  • JB4 BEF w/MHD (currently removed)

Currently working on the car, this is my TLDR version... will add full version later, hoping for some ideas to try asap. Ive had similar issues before with this car but always figure it out eventually. I could strangle some german bmw engineers right about now though.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I dont give up easy... it WILL start just a matter of time.

Thanks!

Last edited by CptGudentite; 01-13-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
CptGudentite
Rep

Ok here we go...

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

When it cranks does it give any hint of trying to start? Have you checked all ignition related parts? Unless I’m mistaken the water pump should not be turning on. The fuel pump constantly priming is odd. I’m not sure what parameters are required for it to prime if it primes to reach a certain pressure than possibly fuel pressure sensor related. Unfortunately I don’t have any intimate knowledge of the DME but a shot in the dark is the DME is not seeing adequate fuel pressure to allow injection and the pump continues to prime.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
CptGudentite
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
When it cranks does it give any hint of trying to start? Have you checked all ignition related parts? Unless I’m mistaken the water pump should not be turning on. The fuel pump constantly priming is odd. I’m not sure what parameters are required for it to prime if it primes to reach a certain pressure than possibly fuel pressure sensor related. Unfortunately I don’t have any intimate knowledge of the DME but a shot in the dark is the DME is not seeing adequate fuel pressure to allow injection and the pump continues to prime.
No hint of wanting to start, no sputtering or anything like that and I have verified there is no fuel being injecting into the engine.

I will verify spark but I suspect there isnt any spark either considering no communication to DME.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
CptGudentite
Rep

Verified no spark at all, also reinspected ALL DME wire connectors/pins and all other connectors in the DME box.

Check ground straps near water pump and driver side motor mount upright. All good...

Tried to fire again no joy...

Also noticed even with foot on the brake I cannot change out of PARK... guessing its because of a module issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #6
CptGudentite
Rep

WE HAVE IGNITION! and im a fool... but I figured it out.

Damn ground on the strut tower passenger side was hidden between the heat shield and strut tower... under the relocated inlet pipe. Figured it was something stupid and simple right in front of my face but I never saw it.

I setup INPA, started followed the service plan... every step, checking the circuit line... each connector, fuse, relay... and then finally grounds... soon as I clicked the picture showing that ground it clicked in my head.

So boys and girls dont be like me... remember those pesky grounds that are hiding from you.

Thanks to everyone who helped and I hope we all got a good laugh out of this.

Ill update yall on how the new motors does!
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      01-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
CptGudentite
Rep

I learned a good amount by making this easy mistake...

I have a way way better understanding of the electrical system in this car. Also got some practice physically testing relays by applying power to the switched circuit and verifying continuity between the other poles etc. Im better at reading diagrams and understand CAN bus more.

AND YOU CAN BET YOUR ASS NEXT TIME IM GONNA CHECK GROUND (ALLLLLLL OF THEM!)

One thing that I always think of in these situations and has proven to work well is... go back to the last place you messed with things at... chances are high its in that area and not something new that just went bad in another area randomly for no reason. I just got hung up on some easy $#@!... but all that said I AM SOOOO GLAD IT WASNT CAN BUS RELATED!!!

Now my issues are just the normal first start power steering leaks, vanos exhaust mechanical code etc.

Also I went to do a new JB4 BEF and remembered that last time a dealership programmed keys they locked this damn DME. I am getting an RSA Defeat situation where I cant erase the data to flash over it with MHD.

Soooo right now I am going to focus on getting her buttoned up and do some research on how to get the MSD81 I have working.

If anyone can shed specifics on how to program this MSD81 to the current CAS module and key for the car that would be awesome. I have ISTA-P and played with it for a while last night before I passed out. Looks like I can do it... just didnt want to try right now.

I also have the matching CAS module that came with the MSD81... and its all from an 07 335i auto, sedan almost identical to my car... only difference is it had Comfort Access and mine does not. I know theres a way I can just swap the CAS and MSD81 in, then disable Comfort Access and program my key(s) to it.

Thats probably for another thread though in the coding section, backed up by a lot of reading
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Congrats on uncovering your ground problem! However, it's unclear from your description what the remaining issues may be.

First, I admit I have not heard of a dealer locking an MSD80/81. What would be the point? Tuners do it all the time, of course, so you cannot read out their tuned files and sell them. Why would a dealer care since they only deal with stock files?

Any tuner locked DME can be "unlocked" by using WinKFP to overwrite with stock program and calibration files. At that point, MHD should be able to successfully flash MHD tuned files or JB4 backend files.

Second, unclear what you mean "program this MSD81 to the current CAS module and key". Are you saying you swapped in a new (used) DME? If you did the car would not start unless the ISN/SK in DME and CAS had already been matched. In any case, you cannot perform this operation with BMW standard tools (i.e. INPA, ISTA-D/P). You need much more expensive software.

What exactly are the sequence of events leading up to your current problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

2007 didn't come with msd81
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Yes, of course, whatever. Same principles and practice MSD80 and 81

More importantly, what is causing the OP to feel that the dealer has locked his DME so that MHD can't flash it?

If that is, indeed, what he is trying to assert
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #11
Kevisoft
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I’m sorry to revive and old thread but my car is currently having these exact same symptoms.

My brother mentioned to me during my single turbo install that he might have missed some sort of ground wire near the water pump as we were in the midst of finishing everything but he couldn’t recall much other than that so I’m pretty certain
we missed it during install.

I checked the ground near the strut tower and it seemed fine so that one is good to go but I have no idea where the ground wire near the water pump is at. Is there any way you could point me to the direct direction? Maybe a picture or a diagram? I’ve searched everywhere. I just want the darn thing to start .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Foghorn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGudentite View Post
WE HAVE IGNITION! and im a fool... but I figured it out.

Damn ground on the strut tower passenger side was hidden between the heat shield and strut tower... under the relocated inlet pipe. Figured it was something stupid and simple right in front of my face but I never saw it.

I setup INPA, started followed the service plan... every step, checking the circuit line... each connector, fuse, relay... and then finally grounds... soon as I clicked the picture showing that ground it clicked in my head.

So boys and girls dont be like me... remember those pesky grounds that are hiding from you.

Thanks to everyone who helped and I hope we all got a good laugh out of this.

Ill update yall on how the new motors does!
Thanks for the tip, the ground on the passenger strut tower was also my problem.

Cheers

Last edited by Foghorn; 11-11-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0