E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d 2006 maf sensor location please help

07-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #23
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegged-out View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithlan1978 View Post
Which codes mate? Do you mean the EML light cos you've unplugged the MAF?
P0101 and P0112

they came on randomly without me doing anything to the car. Feel MAF is toast. Ordered from AARodriguez. Part arrives on Friday, will update when changed out.
How much did the MAF cost mate?

I've ran mine with the MAF unplugged since Sunday night and it's been perfect, not one bit of smoke and no over fuelling smell at all and the MPG has been better

Plugged the MAF back in this morning and reset the adaptions on it and also the mean quantity adaptions as advised and upto now it's been fine with no smoking issues, I'll monitor it for a few days and if smoking returns I'll replace the MAF for a new one
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #24
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

When MAF is failed or unplugged DDE will run substitute maps and values based on MAP and IAT inputs. It’s not perfect fuelling and not as efficient but gets the job done. One way to find out your MAF or tuning are kaput.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #25
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
When MAF is failed or unplugged DDE will run substitute maps and values based on MAP and IAT inputs. It’s not perfect fuelling and not as efficient but gets the job done. One way to find out your MAF or tuning are kaput.
What's kaput mate?

I want to change the map on it anyway as it was mapped about 3 years ago and I have no idea who it was mapped by so do you think their could be a chance that it's cos the EGR isn't mapped out but it's blanked off?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #26
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Another thing aswel, when I do live data on the car the actual air mass is pretty much the same regardless of whether the MAF is plugged in or not

Plugged in at idle it reads 497 mg/h

Not plugged in a idle it reads 475 mg/h

Not sure if that's normal or not
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:22 AM   #27
Sir_Dave
Asset Finance Broker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Quote:
I read that in the Diesel Technology Manual as well: https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...0&d=1474877650

My theory initially is that if it runs fine with no MAF/on the default settings, either the MAF is giving incorrect readings so needs replacing, or if the MAF is new, the map is chucking in far to much fuel based on the MAF settings, hence the smoke/unburnt diesel being thrown out the back of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #28
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Dave View Post
Quote:
When MAF is failed or unplugged DDE will run substitute maps and values based on MAP and IAT inputs. It's not perfect fuelling and not as efficient but gets the job done. One way to find out your MAF or tuning are kaput.
I read that in the Diesel Technology Manual as well: https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1474877650

My theory initially is that if it runs fine with no MAF/on the default settings, either the MAF is giving incorrect readings so needs replacing, or if the MAF is new, the map is chucking in far to much fuel based on the MAF settings, hence the smoke/unburnt diesel being thrown out the back of the exhaust.
Could the fact that the EGR is blanked off but not mapped out be causing the issue, I.e incorrect readings going to the MAF?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #29
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

there was a time I was running without MAF connected as well and it was smooth and lowest MPG I ever had....reason for it was intermittent failure of my air sensor that I tried to clean and it worked on/off.

btw, I can tell you are running your engine without the plastic cover and I am doing the same. the engine looks dirty and dusty, but I guess the additional air flow can help cooling it down in the summer, but for the cost of the dirty visuals....i just hope that dust or dirt won't affect/corrode any electricals or premature wear on some rubber/plastic parts...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #30
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdiesel View Post
there was a time I was running without MAF connected as well and it was smooth and lowest MPG I ever had....reason for it was intermittent failure of my air sensor that I tried to clean and it worked on/off.

btw, I can tell you are running your engine without the plastic cover and I am doing the same. the engine looks dirty and dusty, but I guess the additional air flow can help cooling it down in the summer, but for the cost of the dirty visuals....i just hope that dust or dirt won't affect/corrode any electricals or premature wear on some rubber/plastic parts...
I got to the bottom of my issue but still think it's slightly better mpg with the maf unplugged, I'd run it permanently mafless if I knew it would be ok to do so

To be honest my engine cover is only off cos I've been doing and changing that much on it that it was just a pain in the ass puttin it in and taking it off all the time but will probably put it back on this week
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #31
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

He said that The numbers are estimated when you have it unplugged. Kaput means dead.
Appreciate 0