E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why are N52 owners so jealous of N54 owners?

01-15-2021, 02:23 AM   #111
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Hey I'm new here guys! Sorry to hijack this thread to ask a few questions but I cant create a new post yet. I'm a broke high school student and my dad just bought me my first car and its a Beamer! No one else drives one at my school. They all have these stupid mustangs and hondas and I know my car is better. Its a really nice 2006 325i with 297k miles. He got a really good deal from the pawn shop. I'll upload pics so you can see the mods I have done so far. I think you guys will like it. I took the badges off and upgraded to an M3 badge to make it nicer. I plastidipped the wheels and grilles already and it came with a red steering wheel cover with matching seat covers. I don't know what my next mod will be. I'm thinking of M3 floormats and maybe I'll save up my allowance to get a loud muffler. I like that it has a dual exhaust pipe. Anyway, can you guys tell me how to make it faster? I don't know what motor it has. I think it has the V6. Don't the numbers have to do with the size or power? So maybe its like a 325 horsepower or something? Is that a lot? How fast is it? I tried searching all over and I can't find anything. I'm going to do my first oil change this weekend. Do you know what oil is best? Autozone said I should get a new air filter too and it will give me better gas mileage. I put some octane booster in it and it really made it a lot faster. Can I do two bottles or is that too much?

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 4
Vivek.1367.50
E92William1998.00
Fritzer944.50
      01-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #112
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I would appreciate it if everyone could be as immature as possible and keep the flaming to a maximum. Whatever you think is a reasonable response, please keep that to yourself and instead opt for insults. Please don't hold back with your blatantly offensive, honest assessment of that other E9x powerplant. I'll go first:

The N52 was designed for wusses who prefer reliability over performance. The girly men who drive them secretly wish they could man up and take on a real challenge.
I must be a freak then. I actually prefer to drive around in my e90 N52. Low key, laidback, no worries cruiser is what I call it.
But then again have a F30 335i and F80 6 speed to drive so I'm enjoying all three.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #113
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
Hey I'm new here guys! Sorry to hijack this thread to ask a few questions but I cant create a new post yet. I'm a broke high school student and my dad just bought me my first car and its a Beamer! No one else drives one at my school. They all have these stupid mustangs and hondas and I know my car is better. Its a really nice 2006 325i with 297k miles. He got a really good deal from the pawn shop. I'll upload pics so you can see the mods I have done so far. I think you guys will like it. I took the badges off and upgraded to an M3 badge to make it nicer. I plastidipped the wheels and grilles already and it came with a red steering wheel cover with matching seat covers. I don't know what my next mod will be. I'm thinking of M3 floormats and maybe I'll save up my allowance to get a loud muffler. I like that it has a dual exhaust pipe. Anyway, can you guys tell me how to make it faster? I don't know what motor it has. I think it has the V6. Don't the numbers have to do with the size or power? So maybe its like a 325 horsepower or something? Is that a lot? How fast is it? I tried searching all over and I can't find anything. I'm going to do my first oil change this weekend. Do you know what oil is best? Autozone said I should get a new air filter too and it will give me better gas mileage. I put some octane booster in it and it really made it a lot faster. Can I do two bottles or is that too much?
Welcome! A badge upgrade for a 325 would be to a 328. Nothing higher. People who know cars are going to look at your M3 badges and know that M3s have rod bearing issues. You’ll get the same result with 335 (generally poor reliability) and 330 (DISA valve issues) badges.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
Fritzer944.50
      01-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #114
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Welcome! A badge upgrade for a 325 would be to a 328. Nothing higher. People who know cars are going to look at your M3 badges and know that M3s have rod bearing issues. You’ll get the same result with 335 (generally poor reliability) and 330 (DISA valve issues) badges.
If I take ALL the badges off will I be able to have ALL the problems that ALL these cars are famous for? I'd like to be famous.
      01-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #115
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I'll admit that I am actually envious of the guys who own a 335i and are able to use it's full potential. One of the reasons I decided against buying one is that I'd never be able to use the additional power over an N52 for anything besides getting additional tickets (I already speed pretty much everywhere with my N51).

I don't live near a track, I spend most of my time in traffic, and what roads I can open it up on are usually full of radar speed traps. Realistically my insurance is high enough already. If I lived closer to a track, or lived in a place where you don't get the book thrown at you for doing 40 in a 35, I'd probably own one. For my driving I just couldn't justify the additional associated costs of ownership. If I had an N54 I'd probably be posting this from my jail cell.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      01-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #116
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
The stock tune leaves the leaves the wastegates wide open when you're just cruising around, seems to cause a bit extra perceptible lag. Good for efficiency though. About the same amount as my Abarth, although the boost threshold is much lower. It's pretty impressive how the bmw turbo motors can spool so low and hold it at least decently to highish rpm.

With mhd or im sure most tunes, the WGDC is a lot higher during normal off boost cruise, so the response is improved quite a bit. Still not as snappy as the NA cars, but very good by turbo car standards. However, some like myself already have a turbo car, and really value the instant snap of an NA motor.
I can guarantee that you have never been in a properly tuned N54. In a side by side roll race there is not a millisecond that your NA car would be in front of my stage 1 turbo awd lol.
Edit: I forgot I had driven my friends AWD n52 e90 and it did feel eerily like my car when the 1/2 engine light used to come on pre-tune.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C

Last edited by blown07; 01-15-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Smgs1992720.00
      01-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #117
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
If I take ALL the badges off will I be able to have ALL the problems that ALL these cars are famous for? I'd like to be famous.
If you want to get to rid of the problems then you should remove all BMW badges and upgrade to Lexus badges...
Appreciate 2
Buug95917426.00
      01-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #118
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I'll admit that I am actually envious of the guys who own a 335i and are able to use it's full potential. One of the reasons I decided against buying one is that I'd never be able to use the additional power over an N52 for anything besides getting additional tickets (I already speed pretty much everywhere with my N51).

I don't live near a track, I spend most of my time in traffic, and what roads I can open it up on are usually full of radar speed traps. Realistically my insurance is high enough already. If I lived closer to a track, or lived in a place where you don't get the book thrown at you for doing 40 in a 35, I'd probably own one. For my driving I just couldn't justify the additional associated costs of ownership. If I had an N54 I'd probably be posting this from my jail cell.
Well said.

I get to live in wide open spaces with great roads with somewhat light police enforcement. I have found the N52 in either guise is quite sufficient to collect traffic tickets. I've driven the same roads in a N55 3-Series. The roads are so technical that the additional power does not add value to the drive. Being able to go a bit faster just means the chassis balls up a little tighter if you exceed your driving skills.

If we want to talk smack about track driving, the E9X is probably not the best choice for a track car.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      01-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #119
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The roads are so technical that the additional power does not add value to the drive. Being able to go a bit faster just means the chassis balls up a little tighter if you exceed your driving skills.
F30, I realize we all have opinions and whatnot, but your persistence in bragging about riding a fast bike while insisting that additional power does not add value in a car is confounding. What happens to you if you exceed your riding skills? Are you really that insecure about having the inferior engine in your car that you have to make up these specially-applied rules? It's OK. Obviously you bought the car you bought because you drive eleventy-billion miles on your commute. I get it. But please be honest with yourself and stop throwing your weight around to try to bring credibility to an untenable position. You'll feel better.
      01-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #120
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

this is what my reason and everybody around me telling me....

but but but,

I would like to push a 911 T on a highway pull, even if this scenario could happen once every 5 years, it would worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #121
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
F30, I realize we all have opinions and whatnot, but your persistence in bragging about riding a fast bike while insisting that additional power does not add value in a car is confounding. What happens to you if you exceed your riding skills? Are you really that insecure about having the inferior engine in your car that you have to make up these specially-applied rules? It's OK. Obviously you bought the car you bought because you drive eleventy-billion miles on your commute. I get it. But please be honest with yourself and stop throwing your weight around to try to bring credibility to an untenable position. You'll feel better.
Lol. You start a thread that basically says "make asshole responses, the worse the better ". I make asshole responses and you get your panties in a wad.

Nice work. The phenomenon is called "Can't take your own medicine" if you are not familiar with it.
Lol...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-15-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
Clammy321.50
      01-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #122
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Lol he joined in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #123
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post

The M3 floormats are the key to unlocking the car's true performance potential. Without those, you can add a supercharger, but it won't be nearly as cool as it would with M3 floormats. The roots type supercharger fits in the valley of the V. Yours might have it; take a look under your hood between the valve covers for a big thing with a small pulley.

Quote:
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #124
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Lol. You start a thread that basically says "make asshole responses". I make asshole responses and you get your panties in a wad.

Nice work. Lol.
True, I did start this thread so that N52 and N54 owners could poke fun at each other. I'd say I succeeded at that. But who says I'm upset? The fact that you think that makes me wonder if it's you who is upset. But besides that obvious tidbit, you refuse to partake in any self-deprecation and that is concerning to me. It's as if you take yourself a little too seriously. So, why not lighten up and acknowledge that you're a little inconsistent when it comes to your car vs. motorcycle philosophy?
      01-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #125
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by longm1985 View Post
Lol he joined in 2010
Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #126
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, I did start this thread so that N52 and N54 owners could poke fun at each other. I'd say I succeeded at that. But who says I'm upset? The fact that you think that makes me wonder if it's you who is upset. But besides that obvious tidbit, you refuse to partake in any self-deprecation and that is concerning to me. It's as if you take yourself a little too seriously. So, why not lighten up and acknowledge that you're a little inconsistent when it comes to your car vs. motorcycle philosophy?
Actually I'm not inconsistent. My current bike is a full-dress tourer, which needs a lot of reserve power when two-up on a 2-week road trip in the mountains. My sport bike had way too much horsepower that allowed easy access to velocities that the State takes your license away if you are found exploring those limits. As I matured, I found two-up road touring more fun and switched to a sport tourer, then to my current bike. But the point that you missed was, most liter-class motorcycles are faster than most street cars, even modified, less we start to compare $1M supercars into the mix.

Any why would I use any self-deprecation? I'm the one with the lowly 215HP "commuter" engine. I'm starting off in a hole already, (but my scooter is still fast)

Now as far as my E90 goes, I chose the 325i (I ordered it new) over the 330i because I felt the N52 was complex enough already without adding the DISA intake. The 325i had enough power for my needs and tastes; yes reliability and longevity were my main wants in the car. When I bought the E90 in 2006, I had only an 80-mile round trip commute, not the one I currently enjoy... The N52's reliability in 2006 was unknown, yet based on my other experiences with BMW, I expected good things from the engine, which proved correct. Had the 335i been out in early 2006, I'd still have passed on it, for the same reasons, complexity reduces reliability.

I've been light this entire thread; you've apparently have drifted. It's a stupid thread BTW, but we still have freedom of speech at the moment.

Please enjoy the rest of the posts here on out.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-15-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #127
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wait, I put a CF trim ring around my start button with the M colors... Does that make me a ricer? It's literally the only M badging on the car...

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #128
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Maybe the metric should be total power output between failures? TPOBF
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #129
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe the metric should be total power output between failures? TPOBF
When measuring TPOBF, the proper units are Poncelets per fortnight...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #130
dylane_92
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i xdrive Coupe

If you need the same car- but faster, and are willing to pay for maintenance all day long, get an M3. At least it'll hold value. Right now unreliable N54s cost the same as N52, I imagine the future they'll be worth practically nothing, a low mileage N52 will always be desirable. A great N/A isnt something you can find anywhere.. fast turbo cars are everywhere now too, even in a Hyundai. Long story short I want an M3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #131
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
If I want to go fast, ill just turbo literally anything with an LS in it. Cheaper, faster and more reliable than any n54.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #132
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by longm1985 View Post
Wait, I put a CF trim ring around my start button with the M colors... Does that make me a ricer? It's literally the only M badging on the car...
Depends... is it REAL CF or that fake shit? Fake = Ricer and a big "Shame on you!" from self respecting real CF users.