E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help Damaged Driver Side Front Suspension

01-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Help Damaged Driver Side Front Suspension

OK,
lets save the flamming etc.. nailed a median strip last night ( ran over it )at about 30 MPH. now my steering wheel is way off. so I though I just screwed up the alingment but....I got home and looked and the top of the wheel is tipped torward the center of the car about 3-4 inches !!! any idea's on what would have bent...I know I need to take it somewhere but please just give me some input. Thank you in advance

P.S factory setup 335xi coupe (sport package)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
OK,
lets save the flamming etc.. nailed a median strip last night ( ran over it )at about 30 MPH. now my steering wheel is way off. so I though I just screwed up the alingment but....I got home and looked and the top of the wheel is tipped torward the center of the car about 3-4 inches !!! any idea's on what would have bent...I know I need to take it somewhere but please just give me some input. Thank you in advance

P.S factory setup 335xi coupe (sport package)

The list of possibilities is long and expensive. In addition to the wheel you could have damaged the hub & bearing assy, strut, knuckle, and any number of connecting arms (ie- lower control arm, lateral arm).

Because of the natural bends of some of the components it is almost impossible to tell if they are bent or not. If the wheel is in that much, I would first look for a bend at the strut and/or knuckle.

Get the car on a lift and have someone take a close look. Unfortunately you may wind up replacing most if not all of the suspension components on that side to regain the correct alignment angles.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

If the top of the wheel is leaning inwards, like mad neg camber, you may have damaged the front strut. Which makes sense because they are weak when loaded laterally. That's where I'd start.

Also, regardless of how they look, I would replace the ball joints and bearings on that side. Otherwise, jack up the front, remove both wheels and compare/contrast.

g/l.
Appreciate 0