E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

08-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #2201
JMM
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Nevermind..

Last edited by JMM; 08-03-2018 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #2202
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,19 X5 35i,14 C63 AMG

ETA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
We're working on the next release and will have 3 new features ready for you!
  1. Shiftpoint Editor
  2. Shift Speed Settings
  3. Lockout 6th Gear in S-Mode Switch

1. Shiftpoint Settings

xHP will offer an easy to use interface, where everyone can dial his shiftpoints in D and S mode up/down with a slider in the app! xHP will apply this setting to any map flashed. Attached is a chart, showing the effect of -25% and +25% settings on a 2009 335i. Getting a shiftmap right isn't that easy and usually requires a lot of changing/flashing/changing/flashing iterations. Each mode uses more than one map and the trans jumps between those maps during driving. So people doing custom shiftmaps by themselves, usually have to put a lot of effort in it, before it's working flawless. Anyone interested was able to do this with xHP from the start, but it was a manual process, not really appealing to many people and they were only able to do this with their own maps, as our OTS Maps weren't changeable in the past.

With the shiftpoint editor we autmated a lot of the hassle and dead-lock checking for you. Every up/down shift can be configured through a slider from -30% to + 30%. Note: The max. values may change slightly for release, we are still testing on various vehicles and maps. xHP then saves your setting and pre-calculates the changes for every OTS Map saved on the device. During this process, everything gets validated and corrected to prevent creating dead-locks (infinite up-down shifting), lugging the engine below idle-speed etc. It's a set of 10 rules, that gets applied multiple times to all maps, to get them right before flash. If you created a setting that's impossible to apply, the app will inform the user accordingly.

2. Shift Speed Settings

Especially the Stage 3 Maps are really aggressive in M-Mode, for some users maybe to aggressive, despite they liked the rest of the Stage 3 Setup. With this new feature, people now can alter the shift-speed/aggressivness of the manual shifts. This works for all Stage 3 Maps and for all N54/N55 cars, regardless what Map is used. On other cars or Stages, this settings won't have any effect. Of course it also works in the other direction..people wanting more than Stage 3 standard, can turn up things a bit more....

3. Lockout 6th Gear in S-Mode

Since launch of xHP this is an endless debate. Some users want the trans to engage 6th Gear on Highway Speeds when using S-Mode, others don't and complain about the exact same thing. Most BMW do not use 6th Gear in S-Mode. Thats factory setup and is due to German Autobahn. Nothing more annoying then a transmission shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th Gear on steady 200km/h+ drives. On the other side, customers in other coutntries use S-Mode as Standard mode and complain about bad mileage on the highway. Our OTS Maps mostly use 6th Gear in S-Mode, as most of our customer base does not have the pleasure of unlimited motorways.

To end this struggle, users can use this switch to lockout 6th Gear in S, despite most of our OTS Maps are configured different.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 03:44 AM   #2203
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

ETA: 1 or 2 weeks!
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #2204
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,19 X5 35i,14 C63 AMG

Quote:
ETA: 1 or 2 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #2205
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
  1. Shiftpoint Editor
  2. Shift Speed Settings
Excellent news! I've been campaigning for the first two for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #2206
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
  1. Shiftpoint Editor
  2. Shift Speed Settings

1. Shiftpoint Settings

xHP will offer an easy to use interface, where everyone can dial his shiftpoints in D and S mode up/down with a slider in the app! xHP will apply this setting to any map flashed. Attached is a chart, showing the effect of -25% and +25% settings on a 2009 335i. Getting a shiftmap right isn't that easy and usually requires a lot of changing/flashing/changing/flashing iterations. Each mode uses more than one map and the trans jumps between those maps during driving. So people doing custom shiftmaps by themselves, usually have to put a lot of effort in it, before it's working flawless. Anyone interested was able to do this with xHP from the start, but it was a manual process, not really appealing to many people and they were only able to do this with their own maps, as our OTS Maps weren't changeable in the past.

With the shiftpoint editor we autmated a lot of the hassle and dead-lock checking for you. Every up/down shift can be configured through a slider from -30% to + 30%. Note: The max. values may change slightly for release, we are still testing on various vehicles and maps. xHP then saves your setting and pre-calculates the changes for every OTS Map saved on the device. During this process, everything gets validated and corrected to prevent creating dead-locks (infinite up-down shifting), lugging the engine below idle-speed etc. It's a set of 10 rules, that gets applied multiple times to all maps, to get them right before flash. If you created a setting that's impossible to apply, the app will inform the user accordingly.

2. Shift Speed Settings

Especially the Stage 3 Maps are really aggressive in M-Mode, for some users maybe to aggressive, despite they liked the rest of the Stage 3 Setup. With this new feature, people now can alter the shift-speed/aggressivness of the manual shifts. This works for all Stage 3 Maps and for all N54/N55 cars, regardless what Map is used. On other cars or Stages, this settings won't have any effect. Of course it also works in the other direction..people wanting more than Stage 3 standard, can turn up things a bit more....

Since launch of xHP this is an endless debate. Some users want the trans to engage 6th Gear on Highway Speeds when using S-Mode, others don't and complain about the exact same thing. Most BMW do not use 6th Gear in S-Mode. Thats factory setup and is due to German Autobahn. Nothing more annoying then a transmission shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th Gear on steady 200km/h+ drives. On the other side, customers in other coutntries use S-Mode as Standard mode and complain about bad mileage on the highway. Our OTS Maps mostly use 6th Gear in S-Mode, as most of our customer base does not have the pleasure of unlimited motorways.

To end this struggle, users can use this switch to lockout 6th Gear in S, despite most of our OTS Maps are configured different.

How much extra? -> Never mind. I figured it out. Buy the customization lic. I just bought it.
This is exactly what I have been waiting for.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.

Last edited by techwhiz; 08-03-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #2207
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Some good data there, useful for the community! Results are shown below and I think it speaks for itself. Acceleration is in arbitrary units (but all relative). As can be seen, 1st gear shows highest acceleration up to approx. 6000rpm. It tapers quite strong at 6500rpm. Black arrow show shift RPM to maintain highest acceleration.
It appears a shift point of 6100 rpm suits well for at least the first 4 gears.
Sgop335 - Thanks for taking the time to graph that. I'll be shifting at 6,100 next time I'm at the track. These runs were done on stage 2 xhp. Next time I'll be using stage 3.

Shifts should be fairly instantaneous but I can look at the logs and see the lag between initiating the manual shit and when the transmission completes it.

I'll then set S mode with those shift points and try some runs in S mode since it will time the shifts better than I can although it may not execute the physical shift as fast as in M mode.

I know the data will speak for itself but generally speaking if power drops off sooner in the RPM range with 93 octane vs. E60 then I would assume that would mean it would be ideal to shift that much sooner with 93 octane, right?
      08-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #2208
kmx
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i MSport

Hi, can someone please clarify.

as an example if a shift point for 3>4 is 20 under light accel does this also mean when I'm slowing will 4th drop to 3rd at 20 as well?

I don't mind the early up shift in D but would prefer the auto downshifts a little earlier

To me it sounds like this enables this.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #2209
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx View Post
Hi, can someone please clarify.

as an example if a shift speed for 3>4 is 20 under light accel does this also mean when I'm slowing will 4th drop to 3rd at 20 as well?

I don't mind the early up shift in D but would prefer the auto downshifts a little earlier

To me it sounds like this enables this.
They don't mean shift speed as in MPH, they mean shift speed as in how fast it shifts in miliseconds

You're talking about their 1st new setting which is shift points.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #2210
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
  1. Shiftpoint Editor
  2. Shift Speed Settings

1. Shiftpoint Settings

2. Shift Speed Settings

I'm very much looking forward to this! Now I'm going to buy the customization map.

Any future plans to give even more control with shift points. For me personally I'm itching to tweak the 6 --> 5 downshift. I find that at lower speeds it intuitively downshifts when I want / expect it to. However, at highway speeds it's a bit reluctant to downshift as much as I'd like it to.

I think with the new feature I'll be able to get it to downshift when I want it to at highway speeds (e.g 75 mph) but then it may be overly eager to downshift at lower speeds (e.g. 55 mph). I'll guess I'll have to test and see. I'm sure I can tweak the 5 ---> 6 upshift to hopefully counteract some of that.

Would it be possible to have a settings to tweak at both the higher speed range of the gear and lower speed range of the gear, if that makes sense, or is that maybe too big of an ask. Hopefully with what's rolling out in a week, I'll be fully satisfied.

You guys do a great job!
      08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #2211
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

RBT-Tuning
Any chance you can add shift speed setting to the stage 3 S mode too? I use my car primarily for 1/4 mile and that would make a whole world of difference. It seems like most 335 owners are interested in the strip instead of circuits/autox so I KNOW you guys would sell more just based on that feature alone!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #2212
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
RBT-Tuning
Any chance you can add shift speed setting to the stage 3 S mode too? I use my car primarily for 1/4 mile and that would make a whole world of difference. It seems like most 335 owners are interested in the strip instead of circuits/autox so I KNOW you guys would sell more just based on that feature alone!
I'd second that - perfectly timed shifts with S mode (we can set the max RPM per gear) + fastest shift speed the tranny can tolerate would be ideal for consistent performance at the track.
      08-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #2213
victorg95
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335xi ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paanzerfaust View Post
RBT-Tuning
I'd second that - perfectly timed shifts with S mode (we can set the max RPM per gear) + fastest shift speed the tranny can tolerate would be ideal for consistent performance at the track.
You guys launch on S mode? Why not M, do you brake boost on S?

MHD E40 Wedge | xHP Stage 3 TCU | BMS CAI | BMS DP | VRSF CP | AA 5' FMIC w/ Lower CP | xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash | BMW Performance High Kick Spoiler | Black Kidney Grilles | 18? Apex ARC-8 245/35/18 | Smoked Front Reflectors | Debadged | 35% Tint All Around | Dropped Vogtland Springs | Akrym Carbon Lip/Diffuser | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:37 AM   #2214
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish123 View Post
You can do this already. Set your max. RPM in the custom module, flash Stage 3. Put your trans in S, put your foot on the gas. Job done.

You don't want ultra-fast shifts on a quartermile. You want a trade off between shift-speed and torque reduction during shift. The faster a shift, the more torque you have to back of during gear transition phase. This is exactly the reason why S-Mode is a little more smooth on Stage 3, compared to M-Mode, but still way more quicker than stock S-Mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #2215
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

I successfully installed the backup file and the flash module, but upon trying to flash a OTS map I get the error: TCU not connected.....

Not sure what to make of this as the two prior installations went smoothly, am I missing something here?
      08-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #2216
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I successfully installed the backup file and the flash module, but upon trying to flash a OTS map I get the error: TCU not connected.....

Not sure what to make of this as the two prior installations went smoothly, am I missing something here?
Please contact us through e-mail office@rbttuning.com with your Logfile. You can find that in the "Logs" folder.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #2217
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Please contact us through e-mail office@rbttuning.com with your Logfile. You can find that in the "Logs" folder.
I was eventually able to flash the map after a few attempts.
Not sure why it didn't work the first time

Last edited by BM3Rrrr; 08-09-2018 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #2218
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

How would we be able to verify the limit for how fast our transmission can tolerate for shift speed and it sounds like this setting will alter torque reintroduction delay at higher shift speeds correct? And currently does this mean s mode with proper shift points would be faster than m mode for drag race?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #2219
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Also sounds like slowing shifts may help people having shift bog.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #2220
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
Also sounds like slowing shifts may help people having shift bog.
That describes it relatively good. The whole purpose of the custom features is to give people an instrument to tailor things to their liking. When it comes to shifting, there are many "rights" and "wrongs". This is a very personal thing.

What one describes as "bog" is perfectly fine for someone else. With Stage 1,2,3 we setup a baseline. Stage 1 is comfy, Stage 2 speeds up things, Stage 3 favours speed over comfort in every mode. That are the rough baselines for the 3 setups. However, the Custom Module enables people to spread each Stage. So if someone asks what the "optimal" setting for Shift Speed would be, I can't answer that. People are encouraged to expirement with the settings, because it's about how they like it best for their use. The custom module removes all of the complexity in the background and lets you tune your stuff with simple sliders in the App! However, it also takes care not to stretch things to much. There won't be any dangerous setting possible.

For example with the Throttle Blips: Some run Stage 3 with all blips dialed down max for relaxed city-use of the M mode, others turn them up, cause they use M-Mode for experienced driving in the country side.

With the next release, due this week, people will have a powerful and very easy tool, to setup their trans just how they like it. Use Stage 1,2 or 3 as a baseline and then dial things in to their personal taste.
Appreciate 2
OlliD28.50

08-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #2221
Paanzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
You can do this already. Set your max. RPM in the custom module, flash Stage 3. Put your trans in S, put your foot on the gas. Job done.

You don't want ultra-fast shifts on a quartermile. You want a trade off between shift-speed and torque reduction during shift. The faster a shift, the more torque you have to back of during gear transition phase. This is exactly the reason why S-Mode is a little more smooth on Stage 3, compared to M-Mode, but still way more quicker than stock S-Mode.
RBT-Tuning
Yes, we do want ultra-fast shift's in the 1/4. If each shift takes .35-.4 seconds in stage 3 (per logs of cars on stage 3 mode) and we have to shift 3 times we're losing out on a significant chunk of time. A chunk of time that is pretty damn big for the drag strip. I know 1/4m isn't as big of a thing where you guys are from as it is in the US or even UK, but 90% of the reason people are buying Stage 3 is for S mode, which they use for straight-line speed. Yet even the demo videos you guys have showing how much xHP can shave off in the 1/4 has people using M mode and manually shifting. Not having to worry about missing the perfect 100rpm range because we're stuck manually shifting could be a game changer instead of making us pick our poison, and that is the reason auto's are the transmission of choice for the strip regardless of platform. Rob09 is a very active member of the N54 community, and look at his responses and questions - they prove half of my points.

That's not to even mention the fact that most of the 335's running stage 3 are fairly heavily modded or straight up have bigger turbos, where they can build TQ back up quicker than they're hindered by any "TQ-reducing smoothing" that would be "required". If you want to keep S mode on stage 3 factory-like in smoothness, then why cant we have the option for stage 4 at least? Stage 4 is in a weird backwards no-mans-land where people are told to use automatic mode for a circuit/road course when they'd benefit more from manually shifting, and us drag strip guys are having to stick to manual mode if we want fast shift times. It just makes no sense. Not trying to diss you guys at all because you've done an awesome job with xHP, but I don't get why time and time again you guys ignore us drag racers and/or tell your customers what they do or don't want. You have the capability and already have to put in the work, why not add it to both M and S modes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
and it sounds like this setting will alter torque reintroduction delay at higher shift speeds correct? Also sounds like slowing shifts may help people having shift bog.
Funny enough when I mentioned either of those things in their comments section on FB or in direct messages, I was told both of those things had to be solved in the DME by our tuners, because they had nothing to do with the TCU tunes. I don't know if they have differen't people handling the FB questions than the Forums questions or if their own team is confused on how the product works, but something smells fishy.

I've been using it since the first minute it was released and love it, love the improvements, but this whole "no, we will not allow proper S mode shifting" thing is frustrating as all hell for some of us. Just let more people pay you for the customization module damn it lol.
      08-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #2222
flipmode
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

A little off topic here, but I also do hit the 1/4 mile track often and use custom shift points which is great. The issue I'm having now is that under WOT, when my car goes to make the 3rd to 4th shift, the trans slips for a second, rpms rev up, then engages in 4th gear. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does happen, one of two things happen. After the shift the car continues under full power and feels good, and other times after the shift it still feels like it is slipping even though it is engaged in 4th gear. I get no malfunction errors on my dash when this happens. It seems to happen more if I set the custom shift points below 5600 rpms. Do you have any input on what I should look into or what is causing this? My car has 85 000 kms.

Last edited by flipmode; 08-13-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0