E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

07-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

DYNAVIN N6

Dynavin has made some BIG changes to their Audio/Video/Navigation System offerings, enough to warrant a new thread, and to hopefully keep all the relevant info and discussions in one place for future users of this forum. Please lets try to keep this thread about Dynavin and try to keep it informative, Q & A stuff....try to leave opinions and speculation out of it, there are already 100 other pages of that. Thank you in advance.

The new N6 unit is 2 years in the making, with a big emphasis on higher quality audio components, features, and improved ease of use. You audiophiles will appreciate features like 24bit burr brown D/A converters, 5 band EQ, time alignment, 4 volt preamp outputs (for those of you with aftermarket amps), basically higher end internals across the board... The result is cleaner sound, much more consistent performance, a much better user interface, and a better appearance.

And YES IT WORKS WITH THE LOGIC 7 AUDIO SYSTEM.....when ordered with the MOST fiber optic adapter.

....and the best part? The price went DOWN....

As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E90,, and an assortment of Audi, VW, Porsche and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com
Or my website: http://www.jandtdistributing.com/
There has been a pre-release thread here on this forum for a while now, TONS of good info, a lot of it I will paste over into this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993447

INSTALL
I thought I would give you guys an idea of what the install is like....pretty straightforward. I didnt cover EVERYTHING here as there will be some variation between installs depending on what you are starting with and where you are going....but what I cover here is pretty universal to all installs and should give you a rough idea of what you are getting into.

Here is the starting point, its a good idea to lay down a towel over your center console to avoid any accidental scratches while you are working.

Carefully use a screwdriver or trim removal tool to pop out the trim around the HVAC controls, be careful and use a towel if needed so you dont mar any of the plastic.

Unplug the HVAC controls, these plugs use a little rotating lever to push the plug out of the controls, If your car has the second row of buttons below the HVAC unclip and unplug these as well:

Unclip the HVAC controls from its surrounding trim piece.

Take out the two screws under the stereo, pull it out and unplug it.

Take out the screws holding the radio bracket in the dash and pull the bracket out.

Now you have a big hole in your dash, at this point you want to route your ipod/USB/aux cables or whatever else you might be running in your particular install to wherever they need to go. Glove compartment is the obvious place but you can do console, storage cubbys, ashtray, whatever... You will also need to install the GPS antenna and bluetooth mic.

If your car has the second row of buttons this is also the time when you would do the relocation of those to the console ashtray area using either the dynavin replacement ashtray assembly OR the metra storage tray kit. Not pictured here but basically you pull up the top console trim, take out the ashtray and replace it with the button relocation solution of your choice.

Take the HVAC controls and file off the corner of the tabs that stick out, this is not a critical part of the unit and allows the HVAC controls to fit correctly in the new trim piece as part of the dynavin. Holding the HVAC controls in position next to the dynavin should make it clear what needs to be shaved.

Snap the controls into the dynavin. Install the metal bottom clips onto the dynavin if they are not already in place.

Here is a picture of the main wiring harness and its connections on the E9X model, in this pic you can see the MOST interface at the bottom, it plugs in into the wire harness, the RCA outputs from the head unit, and once in the car, into the MOST fiber optic cable. At the top of the pic you see the canbus interface box, it just plugs into the dynavins main harness, done. To the right you see the main plug that plugs into the oem radio plug. And next to it you see the yellow constant power wire.

Dynavin has the harness set up with enough wire to reach the battery and the brief instructions that come with the unit say to connect to the battery.....of course any constant power circuit available in the fuse compartment will do the trick BUT finding that circuit in an E90 can be a challenge!

There are multiple fuse compartment configurations so what works for one person may not work for another. AND the E90 is tricky as it "goes to sleep" after 20 minutes so most of the circuits that look like constant power actually are not. This will result in the unit loosing some of its memory after 20-30 minutes. Finding a constant power source takes some trial and error.....I personally looked at the fuse chart....used my brain....a little bit of previous experience, and got a good constant power source on the second try. But keep this in mind....by the time you "trial and error" a few cycles of the car going to sleep, you could have easily run the power wire to the battery in half the time. So its up to you how you do it, but so long as its constant power you are good to go. More on this here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809672

Because I know you guys are going to ask anyway.....despite what I said above....here is a pic of the location that worked in MY CAR (2007 335). Taking a look at my fuse chart it corresponds to position 70, an engine related fuse location....although my fuse box has nothing in that slot. Same as I talk about below though, depending on how you connect in the fuse box you may need to add an inline fuse to protect the power wire in the case of a short. (see below)

An important point about wiring for you DIYers out there.....
IF you end up running the constant power wire back to the battery you MUST install a fuse at the battery end of the wire. Installers know this, we fuse EVERYTHING right at the battery, in the case of a short circuit all that happens is you pop a fuse, without the fuse in place you could have a fire on your hands. Its now included on the end of the power wire but if you end up shortening the power wire or if you have a used unit and the fuse is missing....make sure you still use an inline fuse, they are available at any auto parts store.

If you connect at the fuse box you can use a "fuse tap" (get this from your local auto parts store as well), be sure to install it in the correct way so that the circuit is safely fused, this will vary depending on the style of fuse tap you use.

In my personal car I snaked the GPS antenna lead up to the center dash location (where the center channel speaker is on a L7 equipped car), with the older dynavin units I had the gps antenna on TOP of the dash in this location as putting it under the dash reduced the signal strength, So far with the N6 it seems to be running fine with the GPS antenna stuck on the metal crossbar inside the dash, under the vent/speaker assembly. Since I DO have a center channel speaker I have the antenna pushed off to the passenger side so its not under the speaker.

For the mic, for best results you may want to play around with the location a bit, in my car I ran it up the pillar and to the oem location next to the sunroof controls, I like this location for cosmetic reasons BUT its noisy as the mic is up in a cavity in the roof, only inches away from the roof panel and sunroof, so there is wind noise. To combat this I looked around my garage and came up with a "macgyver" fix for it.... I had some 3/4" adhesive backed weatherstripping foam laying around so I cut some of that up and put it over the back side of the mic, insulating it from the noise from the roof of the car. You could use any number of things for this, I would think some of the thicker dynamats would work nicely as well.....even carve out an old egg crate mattress piece....basically any kind of sound insulating foam cut to the right shape and stuffed in there behind the mic would work. Just make sure the business end of the mic is facing the grill and the cabin.

UPDATE:
Because I know you guys are going to ask....

I spent a good chunk of time finding the optimum placement for the external Bluetooth mic. I set myself up a little science experiment with a couple phones, some headphones, and some highway miles. After trying every conceivable configuration I discovered a few things.....

The mic is VERY directional.....point it directly at you and your voice will loud and clear, point it sideways and you will sound distant, point it away from you and you will barely be heard.

The mic appears to use some passive noise canceling and works MUCH better if the holes on the back of the mic are uncovered.

I've been using my mic for years mounted in the stock location next to the sunroof controls, it worked ok but I thought it could probably be better. After experimenting and finding the noise canceling properties inherent in the mic design I now think its a good idea to have the mic exposed. I realize some of you guys won't like this location as you can see the mic, fair enough, but it really does work much better out in the open....

I used a twist tie(that was tying up the mic cord) wrapped around the mic to hold it in place, I loosened the boot where the wiring runs to the mirror and pulled the wire tie through the gap, pushed the boot back into place and the mic was secure. The wire for the mic just comes out of the front of the headliner. From the drivers seat you can barely see it, and even if you do look at it, it doesnt look like anything, it kind of looks like part of the mirror mount.

Plug in the dynavins main wire harness and plug the canbus box into the harness as well.

IF YOUR CAR HAS THE L7 AUDIO SYSTEM WITH THE FIBER OPTIC CABLES you will need to unclip the fiber optic cables from the stock stereo plug and plug them into the MOST cable end adapter.....and that into the interface box. Plug the box into the dynavin's wire harness, and plug the RCA cables coming from the MOST box plug into the FRONT RCA OUTPUTS from the dynavin.

DONT KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE LOGIC 7 SYSTEM?

Took some pics recently that should clear things up for those who dont know if they have the Logic7 audio system....(looking down through windshield at the top of the dash).

Logic 7 system has a center channel speaker on the top of the dash between the vents:

Cars without the Logic 7 system dont:

There are plenty of other ways to tell.....but you can see this difference from 20 feet away!

Plug in the RCA input/output harnesses if you are using them and the USB cables,

Slide everything partially back into the dash and at this point turn everything on and make sure everything is up and running including the HVAC, if everything checks out, slide it the rest of the way back clipping the bottom spring clips into place and inserting the two retaining screws into place. You MUST install the metal spring clips for the unit to fit correctly on the bottom, they hold the bottom of the unit back flush in the dash opening.

DONE!

One note on a small speedbump I hit in my install.....I dont know if this will happen on all cars or if it will be specific to certain HVAC controls, years/models/etc....

When I first pushed the unit back into place, the bottom (the part by the HVAC controls) would not go all the way back into place, it was sticking out maybe 1/8". I started looking around and it appears the HVAC controls were a little too deep and they were hitting part of the dash behind them, keeping the bottom from going all the way back and being flush. Specifically this little ear inside the dash where to the oem radio bracket mounts was in the way.

Closer inspection revealed that the part was upholstered with foam and vinyl, AND had a plastic nub on it. Both of these factors added more than 1/8" of thickness to the ear and was keeping the dynavin from going all the way in. So I simply trimmed the upholstery and foam off with a utility knife.

Then I snipped off the plastic nub with some diagonal cutters and cleaned it up with the utility knife.

As you can see the ear is still there, its just doesnt have all the "stuff" on it getting in the way

Did the same on the left side and I was then able to slide everything all the way back into the dash and the fit was great

FEATURES

Digital Music: IPOD/SD/USB/Internal HD
As part of the simplification and refinement of the new N6 user interface the ipod, SD, USB, and the internal 4GB storage functions all share the same basic interface. Simple and intuitive, with selections for artist/album/song/playlist, and in the case of SD and USB, additional selections for folders/video files/picture files. The list can be swiped up and down and there is a scroll bar on the side AND a quick jump alphabetical search allowing you to jump to any letter in the lists so large libraries are no longer a problem to navigate.

Also in the name of simplicity the ipod now just plugs into the USB plug, no more proprietary cables, no more need for lighting adapters for the newer apple devices. Just use the cables you already have. The unit comes with a USB extension to get the rear mounted USB media plug to the glove compartment, console, etc... and we also have on our website flush mount USB plugs and ipod to USB cables if you want to do something a little more custom.

Album art now displays alongside the track info. As you can see, clean and refined is what Dynavin was after here....
Interestingly apps like pandora display similarly (from my iphone at least), displaying track info and album art.

The SD/USB interface will support tags but for speed and control I like a well organized library with a properly laid out Artist>Album>Song directory structure and properly tagged album art, etc.... I used the program Media Monkey to organize, tag, and load up a 64GB SD card so now I have my entire 50GB music library in my car with no external devices! It was tedious as hell but now that its all set up it works great. The SD card loads very quickly, if you try to use the artist and album tags it takes a while to sort them all out but if you just use the folder directory its almost immediately available:

Album art even displays when searching by album or song:

For those of you interested in higher end audio the unit will play lossless files, In my testing FLAC files played fine from USB and SD and Apple lossless (ALAC) played fine from an ipod.

Source Selection Screen
Like previous Dynavin units the MODE button brings up a source selection screen, large easy to press on-screen buttons display your most used sources for easy selection. You actually don't see these screens much....only when switching sources or getting into the settings menus.

Swiping the screen side to side reveals a selection various settings menus and ALL of the potential sources.

While the Radio, Phone, and Navigation buttons are fixed on the home screen the other two are selectable so you can put your most used functions there for easy access.

BLUTOOTH PHONE
Dynavin continues to work with Parrot on the bluetooth system, its now cleaner than ever, will display your phonebook, and has a quick alphabetical search function to jump to any letter in the alphabet. As before it works with the phone buttons on your steering wheel. There is a built in mic AND an external mic, as before I recommend using the external mic as it allows you to experiment with its location for best results.

BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING (A2DP)
This is another big step forward, the Bluetooth audio streaming quality is now as good as plugging in, It connects pretty much immediately and works with apps like pandora, stitcher, etc... in addition to your standard media apps. In addition track info is now displayed on the screen:

The steering wheel control buttons work as well, including in apps like pandora. I find that this is now my go-to choice as a music source.

RADIO, CD, DVD etc...
The radio is what you would expect, 15 presets, RDS, Pretty standard stuff here. Settings for different regions etc...

The unit plays CDs, DVDs, etc.... same as before.

NAVIGATION
As with previous dynavin units we are able to offer our units with pre-installed, licensed iGo Primo on our Dynavin units. This program has long been a favorite of the "hacker community" and I know some of our competitors are pirating it but Im glad to say we can offer it to everybody in a legit legal way. The licenses are not cheap but we include Primo with all of our Dynavin units. This also greatly simplifies things like future map updates etc... as iGo is well established and has an easy upgrade path available via their website www.naviextras.com

Its clean and intuitive, easy to quickly search and enter addresses, all the maps are already on board so no internet connection is needed.

The new N6 unit has an option to overlay the current media info over the nav screen, displaying track info and album art

REVERSE FUNCTIONS AND WARNING CHIMES
As always the new Dynavin N6 will work with a reverse camera, but dynavin continues to refine this function to work with PDC (parking sensors, if your car has them) and is completely configurable within the settings menu. You can have just a backup camera, PDC, backup cam WITH PDC displayed, or nothing at all.

In cars that have canbus connected steering angle sensors the unit can even display parking assist lines that move based on steering angle, this is model dependent and remains to be seen what all cars it will work in....but for those where it does its some cool eye candy:

Some E90s have warning chimes integrated into the stereo system so when you remove the head unit you loose the chimes. Dynavin has addressed this and has built in these warning chimes, they are adjustable and can be turned off for cars that have the speaker in the gauge cluster. The chime is not a copy of the oem "goooonnnggg", its just kind of a generic "bong" sound....its pretty soft sounding though, fairly unobtrusive, sounds good to my ears.

The PDC sounds pretty close to the stock BMW PDC sound and does move left or right depending on where the object being detected is. You can see it displaying in the PDC display in the upper right as well. Also note the park assist lines as the move with the steering. Of course for them to even close to accurate you will need to play with the angle of your camera.

Here is a short video....First the warning chime (in this case I left my door open), then the reverse PDC beeps. The volume is adjustable, I have it turned up louder than I would typically have it in order to hear it well in this clip....I like that you can turn it down lower than it would be stock.

AUDIO FUNCTIONS
Here is where some of the biggest changes are.....Dynavin is going after a higher end market and as such has added a lot of good audio features to the new N6. Time alignment, three band bass/mid/treble AND a 5 band EQ with separate sub control, 4 volt RCAs for clean signal transmission to aftermarket amps, and 24bit burr brown D/A converters....you old school audio guys will know what thats about.

Most of you guys probably dont know what time alignment is or what to do with it but its probably the single biggest factor affecting sound quality in a car stereo environment, this adjustment allows for you to delay the speakers at the 4 corners of the car independently so that the sound from each reaches your ears as the same time....basically putting YOU in the "sweet spot". Ive been running time alignment of one kind or another for a couple decades now, in my opinion its a MUST HAVE for any higher end system. One thing to keep in mind though is setting this wrong can also make your system sound terrible so its important to at least understand the basic fundamentals of time delay before you jump into this setting. Also keep in mind this is optimizing ONE spot in the car at the detriment to the other seating positions. So if you regularly listen to music with passengers you may not want to use these settings.

5 band EQ, self explanatory:

Tone Controls with Sub Level control

LIGHTING AND SCREEN ILLUMINATION
Dynavins have always had matching button lighting, not a big deal, but FYI, the buttons match the other buttons in the car and dim with the dash light dimmer. Nice and OEM.

Now this next thing may not sound like a big deal at first, but for day to day, real world use....its HUGE. The LCD dimmer can be configured in multiple ways and the dimming amount is fully adjustable. There is now an onboard ambient light sensor as well. SO you can set the unit up to dim when your headlights come on OR when the sensor sees its getting dark, or you can dim it manually. There are pros and cons to each approach and the overall ambient lighting where you are at and your headlight use habits will dictate which setup will work best for you. The adjustable LCD dimmer looks great as it does not just darken the screen as most "dimmers" do, it dims the backlight, so there is no "LCD glow" at night. Between the nicely dimmed screen and the clean white/red on black interface this is the best looking aftermarket unit at night ive ever seen

ETC...
A word about start up.... The N6 has about a 20 second boot time BUT dynavin has done something clever, the unit starts booting when you unlock or open a door.... and it does not fully turn off until about 20 minutes after you shut the car off, it goes into a standby mode. So in regular use, running errands, that sort of thing, you rarely see the boot screen, or if you do its only for a few seconds. I like things clean and OEM so I went with this in my personal car....

I think I might like this one better though....

Here is a quick look at some of the other car integrated features:

OBC data screen (update: now with US units)

OBC fuel data screen (update: now with US units)

HVAC display, pops up for a few seconds when you make changes to the HVAC settings (this can be turned off)

Dynavin went to an oem style Fakra antenna plug on the unit so that the cars antenna can plug directly into the unit without any adapters. One less thing to install, one less thing to go wrong. For those of you with the old style antenna they provide an adapter.

Finally, a word about updates. Dynavin is really pushing the "DynOS" thing on these units. They have built into the unit (and their new website) an easy update path so that as they develop and activate new features it will be easy to update the units. The current units are running DynOS 1.0.0. so its clear that they intend the current unit to be "generation one" for their software. Its fairly finished as is, but I guess they have things in the pipeline.

I was skeptical of this approach as marketing this as a feature obligates you to use it but Dynavin assures me they have plans in this regard and they have given me a few details about things they are working on. Dont expect huge, earth shattering, changes. But just know that there are further refinements and a few interesting features in the works and as time goes on these will be easy to apply to existing units.

Ill keep adding to this post as we go, ill try to make it a inclusive resource for all the new, relevant, N6 info.

Last edited by jeffb335; 02-25-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
trustbran318.50
      07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
jeffb335
Rep

HINTS, TIPS, AND HIDDEN FEATURES

Ill be adding little hints and tricks here as I run across them and people ask about them.

REBOOT
Since the N6 does not actually turn off with the key but instead goes into standby mode for a period of time, getting it to reboot could be a tedious wait....but you dont have to, just hold down the source button for 6 seconds and the unit will reboot.

UPDATES
Go to dynavins website for the latest firmware updates, go to the product page for the unit that you have (N6-E9X in this case) and scroll to the bottom to see the DynOS firmware link, http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e9x.php

Its easy to update and the instructions are in the download link but to reiterate, download the files from dynavins website, extract them and put the 3 files on an SD card. Put the SD card in the MMC slot in the dynavin, go to the "info" setting on the second home page and press the blue "update now" button. Then just wait for the unit to run the update, it will restart when its done.

If you are using the same SD card that you keep your music on, delete the update files from the SD card when you are done.

US UNITS AND 12 HOUR CLOCK
DynOS 1.0.1 or later required....see above.

The dynavin by default will display all the OBC screens in metric and the clock in 24 hour format. There is now a setting in the system settings menu to select EU or USA for the unit, change it to USA and you will find that all the units are now SAE and the clock is 12 hour.
Keep in mind that there are some other regional settings such as the radio region setting (European or US frequencies) and of course all the navigation related regional settings....these settings are in the specific radio or nav settings menus.

TIME ALIGNMENT
What is time alignment? In a car you sit on the left side, placing you closer to the left side speaker, so the sound from the left side gets to your ears before the the right side and greatly reduces your sound sound quality. The goal in high end audio is to create a solid aural image of each musician at a certain point in space on a a perceived soundstage. By delaying the near side channel we can bring the sound back into "alignment" and put you in the "sweet spot."

Sitting in the drivers seat measure the distance to each speaker (the front and rear mids in the case of the E9X). In my personal car it looks something like this:

FL: 28in (71cm)
FR: 48in (124cm)
RL: 24in (61cm)
RR: 42in (107cm)

Take the longest distance and subtract the other distance from that number...

So we end up with:

FL: 53cm
FR: 0cm
RL: 63cm
RR: 17cm

In a recording there are sounds and musicians to the left, the right, and the center, it's the center that we are concerned with here. Most of the time the drums and primarily the vocalist are in the center. We want to select a music track that has some space in it so we don't want a heavily overdubbed recording with lots of backing vocals....too much noise.

Set the fader to the front so we are only hearing the front pair of speakers. Enter the delay numbers above and put on some music. It should sound pretty good. Then raise one side of the delay settings, say the front left. As you do this you will hear the sound change, it will become hollow, out of focus, kind of a "in a tin can" kind of sound, your front speakers are now out of phase. Then lower the setting, as you pass the correct setting you will hear the sound come back into "focus", the vocals will move to the center of the car and become more solid. Keep going and you will hear it go out of phase again. Now go back towards you original setting again and listen as the music becomes focused again. Somewhere near the number we calculated above you will find the "sweet spot" where the vocals and bass are centered in the car and solid.

Then fade the rear speakers back in a little bit at a time until the sound is full and pleasing but not at the expense of the solid centered imaging. And that's it. Now you can play around with the EQ and other audio adjustments.

Try the above and if you have never hear a time aligned system you might be surprised by what you hear....it's a different experience than you are used to....

Let me know if you have questions....I've been running time alignment in all of my personal cars for....a long time now...

NOTE: the L7 system with the MOST adapter can only accept 2 channels of input from the head unit so you will not use any delay settings on the rear speakers, just measure the front settings and use those to set the time alignment, its not perfect but is still much better than non time alignment at all!

BOOT LOGO
Due to popular demand....here are some boot logo screens you guys can use....

To put a custom boot screen on your dynavin just copy and paste any 800X480 to a SD card or USB, jpg, png, bmp, all seem to work. Put the SD or USB in the Dynavin, select the appropriate source on the dynavin and find the pic you want to use, when you are viewing it simply press the icon in the lower left and and a check mark will appear. DONE!

I made this one, use it as you like....

I dont know where this one came from....but credit to whoever made it....

Credit to Transport3r for this one...nice!

Credit to 1QuikWS6 for submitting these:

Last edited by jeffb335; 09-10-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Despite my (constructive, I hope) criticism in the prior thread, let me be the first to congratulate you. Great thread and a fine looking product. It does have a certain appeal!.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
bacardi198
Yolo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EBII

Jeff, for those of us who have followed the original thread from the beginning, could you possibly add a change log of sorts at the end of the OP in this thread so we know what's new information?

Thanks bud.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Jeff-
When setting the Delay, manual states to set approx, distance of each speaker from your ear in CM

Once we install the software update to convert to SAE units for other sections of the unit - will this distance still be in metric - or should we use inches as units ?

In other words, does the SAE update change ALL units related to unit to SAE?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
jeffb335
Rep

As of now, how I explained it above is how the delay settings work, despite what the manual might say. You enter the amount of delay needed per speaker, expressed in CM, not the distance from each speaker.....or at least that's what my ears tell me! Im going to talk to dynavin about it to see if they can make a couple changes to make it more intuitive....if so Ill change the explanation above.

No, those dimensions won't be expressed in inches, CM and MS is more "standard" for these types of things anyway....and CM is a much finer unit of adjustment.

Last edited by jeffb335; 08-06-2014 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

If we decided down the line to remove the unit and replace with stock, what would be required?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
jeffb335
Rep

Nothing....no permanent modifications are made with the small exception of the little trim I posted about, which has no functional purpose and is still usable once trimmed. And all the wiring is plug and play....so it's all easily reversible....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Can you also include steps for the process of moving the lowest row of buttons to the ash tray in an e92 LCI configuration?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Picking up my unit today, I'll post pics once i have it with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Wish i had this instead of crappy idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Gotta wait unilt next month, but I'm buying one.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
jeffb335
Rep

Thanks to forum member nathantx for posting the following in the old thread, should give you guys a good idea of what you are getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantx View Post
Warning: Unboxing Photo Post

I just received my N6 about an hour ago, and managed to take unboxing photos for those that are into that type of thing. If not, apologies in advance.

First impression: I have to say, the packaging is very well done. The Dynavin box itself comes within another larger cardboard box (thanks Jeff for the extra protection!) The Dynavin box is nice, sturdy, and looks nice. The user manual and a large fold-out quickstart guide are on top when you open the box. The user manual is the same one that is available online in PDF form on the Dynavin website. The quickstart guide appears to be picture instructions for removing the stock HU, bracket, relocating buttons and climate controls, etc. It also includes Jeff's install pictures with the trimming of the corner foam piece (see his initial post for details). It also shows power cable hookup to the battery in the trunk, with what appears to be install photos from a previous unit/car model (the battery hookup should be fairly straightforward though, and Jeff has already provided additional instructions regarding an inline fuse, etc). The unit itself sits down into foam to support the unit and frame during shipping. It comes in a plastic bag, with a screen protector film on the screen. There are two boxes on each side of the unit. One contains the magnetic gps antenna, bluetooth microphone, iGo Primo SD card, canbus box, plastic touchscreen stylus pen, and USB extension. The other has the cables and harnesses, as well as the metal brackets to clip the bottom of the unit into place. The MAP and MMC locations appear to be made from rubber and pull out/swing out of the way to install the cards, then snap back into position to cover the card slot (Note: The iGO Primo SD card is an adapter with the microSD card inside). The unit itself feels solid, and the plastic feels comparable to what is used in the E90 interior. The buttons do not feel flimsy to me and the turn dials give a nice clicking tactile feedback when rotating. I will try to post a review when I am able to install it (still waiting on backup camera stuck in customs). For now, here are the unboxing photos - I tried to compress them as to not blow up anyone's Internet. Cheers!

Last edited by jeffb335; 08-06-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Here it is! Ill get better pictures tomorrow lol first impressions are good, oem looking, the buttons feel nice on touch. The knobs are identical to the lci radio knobs but in a bigger size, the knobs have a great feedback tho. Not cheap plastic, it actually has a texture identic to the climate control buttons. Can't wait to get it installed, great manual too btw.

Last edited by RoamPT; 07-30-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #15
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Alright just installed my unit and i have to say that it's awesome! It's amazing, I'm loving it. My gf loves it too! Anyway some pics of the installation!

Time of installation is around 3 hours, that's what it took me to remove the old unit, do all the bits and pieces, run wire to the battery(i highly recommend to do this), install new unit, and mic installation!

Routing the wire to the battery! All hidden, i ran it over the glovebox and then down to side of the car under the plastics covers.

Here is the iphone cable that i ran under the center console trim to the console bin.

Connection to the battery with a inline fuse holder ato with a 15amp fuse, same amperage as the unit.

The main menu, due to the flash you can't really see it, damn iphone lol i didn't relocated the seat heating buttons into the button relocator because i didn't want to waste time tonight, so I'll do that when i come home from the long weekend.

Also the unit buttons lights are exactly the same color as the oem, they look different because of the angle and the iphone camera flash.

Navigation system running, fast and smooth like the unit itself, faster than my TomTom VIA 1505M

Now about the unit. It runs fast and smoothly, very oem looking and it's easy to work with. A must have for sure, i love it so far. I tested it for over an hour now, i have a 152km trip tomorrow so you can expect more feedback from me! Feel free to make questions.

Last edited by RoamPT; 08-02-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
Ivan James
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for the review and pics! How do you think it sounds, and what system do you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #17
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan James View Post
Thanks for the review and pics! How do you think it sounds, and what system do you have?
No problem, sorry my last post has lots of grammar errors but I wrote it so fast that I messed up a bit lol anyway I have the base stereo system and this unit gave it boost, the max volume is higher than before and my speakers don't make crack noises like before so sound quality is highly improved in my case.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #18
Ivan James
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks. I'm itching to pull the trigger on this, but probably have to wait another month or two. Glad to see that you are enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #19
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan James View Post
Thanks. I'm itching to pull the trigger on this, but probably have to wait another month or two. Glad to see that you are enjoying it.
I understand, but trust me go for it, it's amazing, I had this weird feeling that I wouldn't like but I love it now, it completes the car. It looks way nicer than the Idrive. The nav systems works really smoothly, and it's fast. Believe me get it now, you won't regret. If you need more details hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
jeffb335
Rep

Roam, glad you are enjoying your new unit!

I doubt that's a bug in the nav. When you get the unit it has a destination adress already programmed in (for demo purposes), you probably added your local address but didn't delete the one that was already in there. Once you cancel the route you will be good to go.

There are regional settings within igo primo's menus where you can set the units of measure to all kinds of options.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Roam, glad you are enjoying your new unit!

I doubt that's a bug in the nav. When you get the unit it has a destination adress already programmed in (for demo purposes), you probably added your local address but didn't delete the one that was already in there. Once you cancel the route you will be good to go.

There are regional settings within igo primo's menus where you can set the units of measure to all kinds of options.
Ahah you were right on both jeff. I figured out this morning how to change to metric, and it's all good. And about the trip distance it was what you mentioned, everything is up and running and I'm loving it. The sound quality is amazing!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Well after a day using this unit, it's safe to say ... it's great!

My install was a bit staggered due to life getting in the way but start to finish I would say that it took me about 3 hours. I've only ever fitted 1 other car stereo in the past. I've got the microphone left to route into place and also think I need to re-position the GPS sensor but apart from that i'm done...

Here's a few tips (I might be stating the obvious in some of them but figured if it saves someone some time then it's good me sharing my experience).

1) Hooking up to the battery for the permanent connection was definitely the way to go. I first started routing the cable through to the rear seats and then hit a stumbling block in trying to get the cable through to the trunk. . .

I got pissed off and thought 'screw it, i'll just use the fusebox'. 45 minutes later after getting even more pissed off I then went back to plan A ...

Like most of you probably, I have the seats that don't fold down in the rear. The real problem for me was getting the seat pulled up. In hindsight, it's damn easy. Just grab the seat at the edge and yank upwards (quite a lot of force!). There's one clip at each side. Then just pull it forwards a bit.

Then in the trunk lift up the storage board thing and pull it forwards a little (or take it out completely as I did).

Once youve done this, get a metal coathanger and slide it through from the bottom of the vertical seat that's still in place in the rear of the vehicle and you should (after a couple of attempts) see it from the trunk. Then tape your yellow 12V cable to the coathanger and pull it through.

During the whole install, this part probably took me the longest but if I had to do it again now, it would be a 5 minute job!

2) Filing down the HVAC controls ... slowly does it is my recommendation here. I went a bit gung ho after doing one side as I was getting impatient, I slipped and marred one of the buttons. It's not even noticeable and a quick touch up it'll be as good as new. If I were to do it again I would probably tape the edge of the buttons to protect them against neanderthal filing :-)

3) When offering up the HVAC controls to the Dynavin to see how much you have to shave off, don't think it's a good idea to push it into place to see. You'll spend the next 10 minutes delicately trying to get it free with a sweat building on your brow about how you are going to snap the plastic and completely screw your lovely new Dynavin.

These are my own honest opinions about the install. If any of it comes across as retarded then so be it haha, things are always easier when you look back at what you did!

As for the unit itself ...

I completely agree with the previous posts about the build quality and how OEM it looks, it fits flush and the color is identical to the HVAC controls. Looks really good.

It's speedy too, accessing a 64GB SD Card is quick and responsive. My 32GB ipod is a dream too.

Overall though I am delighted and really glad I took the plunge and bought this unit.

Thanks Jeff for making it available and the great work you've done.
Appreciate 0