E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ESS Stage 2 Dyno

03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Why is it that all the new flashes showing up always end up dynoing on a "strange" dyno, with no baseline, no rpm half the time, etc. I'm still waiting for a flash that's impressive. It hasn't arrived yet.
      03-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #24
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Why is it that all the new flashes showing up always end up dynoing on a "strange" dyno, with no baseline, no rpm half the time, etc. I'm still waiting for a flash that's impressive. It hasn't arrived yet.
+1

This is another worthless dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 BLKONBLK

I'll post up my new dyno numbers as soon as I get home.

Updated Thread

Last edited by acts238; 03-06-2009 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #26
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238 View Post
I'll post up my new dyno numbers as soon as I get home.
Doesn't look like the shop knows how to dyno a 6AT. Still kinda low though for the boost you are running.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Doesn't look like the shop knows how to dyno a 6AT. Still kinda low though for the boost you are running.

shiv

The second shop I went to has dynoed 2 other 335's. Both with Procede v1 and v2. I am waiting for him to email me their files to compare to mine.

ESS stated I would get 375hp & 380tq at the crank with stage 2. But, I hoped that the flash would produce the same results that ESS got here with their stage 2.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
The second shop I went to has dynoed 2 other 335's. Both with Procede v1 and v2. I am waiting for him to email me their files to compare to mine.

ESS stated I would get 375hp & 380tq at the crank with stage 2. But, I hoped that the flash would produce the same results that ESS got here with their stage 2.

And do you think that's good? I understand that it's running lower boost than the PROcede v3.2 or JB3 (and will consequently have lower HP/TQ), but for the $$$, do you that the extra 50 or so BHP (not WHP) and TQ is acceptable?

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #29
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

your shop doesn't know how to properly calibrate the dyno. I have seen N54 cars with all 3 stages of the ESS software on a mustang dyno and they deliver more than the advertised power.

a baseline dyno using the same calibration settings would have been extremely helpful as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #30
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
And do you think that's good? I understand that it's running lower boost than the PROcede v3.2 or JB3 (and will consequently have lower HP/TQ), but for the $$$, do you that the extra 50 or so BHP (not WHP) and TQ is acceptable?

Yes it's worth the money. My opinion is the ESS flash is more of a refined tune from what I researched. It’s not just enough to make good power gains; but more important how they are made. With that said, I will not lie and say I understand thoroughly everything that ESS has done from torque management, water pump speed modifications, to EGAS and EWS and etc. But their flash seems to build upon or "work with" what BMW has developed with the N54. There are other things that impressed me about the ESS flash. The way the flash included the latest Progman update. My transmission shifts so much smoother now after the flash. This car is my wife's daily driver and she is amazed at how it shifts compared to before. Another positive is the piece of mind that comes from not worrying about throwing "tuning codes". That was high if not #1 on my priority list. Plus, ESS is working on a transmission flash that when in manual mode it will hold third through sixth gear. Now couple that with the raised rev limiter this flash already provides, the compromise with my wife on getting an auto isn't looking that bad after all.

This tune is putting down some great power. Obliviously, something wasn't right with the first dyno I went to. That's why I went to another one in town. I wanted to see the numbers first hand and the tune is boosting 13 psi exactly what is promised. The torque in this car amazes me. I feel like I'm in the big leagues now compared to my old IS250 and B5! Plus if I want to get into a pissing competition with anyone, I can always upgrade to Stage 3 or 4!!!!!

I guess to summarize my mini review here. Everyone has different priorities with and for their car. The more tunes to choose from the better. Dinan was the other option I was considering. So for $750, I feel like I got a great product and an outstanding deal. For my wife and I, ESS stage 2 was the best choice. Todd at ESS has been great to work with. He is very professional, knowledgeable and answered every question no matter how dumb or repetitive I sounded.

Last edited by acts238; 05-06-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #31
munters
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

Why did you dyno your car then? If it drives the way you want be happy and dont bother some numbers. I'm not dynoing my car for what? ego?
If you push your car besides another one and you're quicker thats fun.
Or pushing it in the mountains for one minute and then wait one minute till the others behind you show up thats cool. not 1/4mile or dyno numbers.
just my opinion.
      03-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #32
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
your shop doesn't know how to properly calibrate the dyno. I have seen N54 cars with all 3 stages of the ESS software on a mustang dyno and they deliver more than the advertised power.

a baseline dyno using the same calibration settings would have been extremely helpful as well.
as said by many - why there was not an initial baseline dyno on the same day is beyond me.

in fairness - this flash is probably still a work in progress.

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #33
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
as said by many - why there was not an initial baseline dyno on the same day is beyond me.

in fairness - this flash is probably still a work in progress. my 2 cents
I should have had a baseline done. No doubt. This tune is not a work in progress. I believe they have put in over 2 years R&D before they released it to the public. Todd at ESS can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munters View Post
Why did you dyno your car then? If it drives the way you want be happy and dont bother some numbers. I'm not dynoing my car for what? ego?
If you push your car besides another one and you're quicker thats fun.
Or pushing it in the mountains for one minute and then wait one minute till the others behind you show up thats cool. not 1/4mile or dyno numbers.
just my opinion.
I dynoed the car to make sure the product I purchased is delivering what ESS advertised. If not then I would have wanted a refund. Also, the car feels and drives great but I never driven 375 hp before, therefore I was not sure what to expect. My first thought after putting in the flashed DME was this car is a BEAST. Especially after putting in 100 octane. But I don't base everything on feelings, me personally I like to have facts to back things up. Again thats just me. I needed to dyno as a point of reference for when I add other mods etc. etc. Again I wished I done a baseline dyno. My wife had to go out of town unexpectedly, so it was a great time to pull out the ecu while she was gone. I agree with you about driving in the mountians and pulling on other cars. Last night I pulled on a B7 S4. Those are great cars also.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #34
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Yes it's worth the money. My opinion is the ESS flash is more of a refined tune from what I researched. It’s not just enough to make good power gains; but more important how they are made. With that said, I will not lie and say I understand thoroughly everything that ESS has done from torque management, water pump speed modifications, to EGAS and EWS and etc. But their flash seems to build upon or "work with" what BMW has developed with the N54. There are other things that impressed me about the ESS flash. The way the flash included the latest Progman update. My transmission shifts so much smoother now after the flash. This car is my wife's daily driver and she is amazed at how it shifts compared to before. Another positive is the piece of mind that comes from not worrying about throwing "tuning codes". That was high if not #1 on my priority list. Plus, ESS is working on a transmission flash that when in manual mode it will hold third through sixth gear. Now couple that with the raised rev limiter this flash already provides, the compromise with my wife on getting an auto isn't looking that bad after all.

This tune is putting down some great power. Obliviously, something wasn't right with the first dyno I went to. That's why I went to another one in town. I wanted to see the numbers first hand and the tune is boosting 13 psi exactly what is promised. The torque in this car amazes me. I feel like I'm in the big leagues now compared to my old IS250 and B5! Plus if I want to get into a pissing competition with anyone, I can always upgrade to Stage 3 or 4!!!!!

I guess to summarize my mini review here. Everyone has different priorities with and for their car. The more tunes to choose from the better. Dinan was the other option I was considering. So for $750, I feel like I got a great product and an outstanding deal. For my wife and I, ESS stage 2 was the best choice. Todd at ESS has been great to work with. He is very professional, knowledgeable and answered every question no matter how dumb or repetitive I sounded.
Sounds good; glad you're enjoying your flashed-tuned 335i. Now, get to the track and do some runs.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #35
acts238
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Sounds good; glad you're enjoying your flashed-tuned 335i. Now, get to the track and do some runs.
VIR is only a hour up the road from Raleigh. In the next few weeks I'm gonna try to get into one of there classes...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
Nexus-6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
ACTS,

Thanks for sharing your impressions. When you have a moment, can you answer a few questions?

What build date is your car? Month/year?

Are you feeling that oscillating power delivery on the road as evidenced on your second graph? The hp/tq curves are almost in perfect synch as they "sine wave" between 4,400 and 5,500rpm. If you haven't yet, play around on the road in 3rd and 4th gear and observe - feel + listen in this range.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #37
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Another positive is the piece of mind that comes from not worrying about throwing "tuning codes". That was high if not #1 on my priority list.
First off, I think it's great you're enjoying it. I'm a flash proponent.

But I have to say, so what there are no tuning codes? Explain to me this: you don't think that once when you drop off your car for service, they just might take it for a drive to ensure whatever issue it was they worked on is resolved? Then what? Hard to not spot the 375 HP!

Why the flash tuners don't allow the customer to switch back to stock without having to mail in their ECU is beyond me. This was standard practice with Audi and VW tunes from APR... I miss that company for this car... Was so simple, you could just use the cruise control stalk to change maps on the fly from stock to chipped and back!

ESS? Can you chime in?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #38
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Why the flash tuners don't allow the customer to switch back to stock without having to mail in their ECU is beyond me. This was standard practice with Audi and VW tunes from APR... I miss that company for this car... Was so simple, you could just use the cruise control stalk to change maps on the fly from stock to chipped and back!

ESS? Can you chime in?
Simple answer, because the 335 is not an Audi/VW.

Complicated answer, because the interface, bootstrap, checksum, and programming and instruction sets in the MSD80/81 are far more advanced than even the newest FSI VAG controllers. And then the cost of the custom interfaces is not practical to DIY flash loading.

Doesn't mean it won't ever happen... just not right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #39
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

ESS, thanks for the quick explanation and I`m glad to hear it was considered at least and obviously some thought and effort went into attempting it... Bummer is all I have to say! Hopefully that gets figured out without a lot of expense.

But as far as my point that while the tune's undetectable (and that is a great thing), what if they go for a test drive, then what? I mean, that`s hardly an implausible scenario... What's your advice for your customers on this concern?

To me, this customer has a false sense of security, which is why I`m still apprehensive about getting a flash...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #40
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

once flashes become interactive with the driver (ie change settings via cruise control, idrive or some other menu) is when things will get interesting!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #41
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

question to ESS:

Any news about stage 4? Torque and HP ?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #42
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@ESS View Post
Simple answer, because the 335 is not an Audi/VW.

Complicated answer, because the interface, bootstrap, checksum, and programming and instruction sets in the MSD80/81 are far more advanced than even the newest FSI VAG controllers. And then the cost of the custom interfaces is not practical to DIY flash loading.

Doesn't mean it won't ever happen... just not right now.
Just an FYI, the EMCS that APR uses is not ECU dependent. It's switching mechanism completely software based...and it works on ECUs other than Bosch systems. In fact, they have it on Siemens ECUs in Europe also. Finally, ME9 does give the MSD80/81 a run for it's money. The encryption on the ME9 is much tougher than the MSD also.
      03-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #43
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Just an FYI, the EMCS that APR uses is not ECU dependent. It's switching mechanism completely software based...and it works on ECUs other than Bosch systems. In fact, they have it on Siemens ECUs in Europe also. Finally, ME9 does give the MSD80/81 a run for it's money. The encryption on the ME9 is much tougher than the MSD also.
yeah - i'm curious why ess is claiming the msd80/81 is so much more advanced than the newest vag fsi controllers....i can't see that being true..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #44
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Well, since we also develop and sell ECU tuning for the newest VAG TFSI MED17 based systems as well as the older ME9 based ones, I can tell you first hand that it is a total walk in the park compared to MSD8x. There are no provisions for live software switching in MSD8x, we are however working on a solution to set boost pressure back to stock relatively easy.
Appreciate 0