E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Pictures: Electric water pump + thermostat replace

08-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #111
Filoo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine failed last Sunday - 69K miles - $1100 at BMW indy repair shop - Thanks for AAA - I knew this was coming!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #112
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
I ended up just buying the whole damn set because I wasn't sure and I used the E12 I don't know if it was necessary to go that big its just the first one that fit that didn't slip so the E10 may also work as well I have the left over bolts so I will check and get back.

What else am I forgetting?

Just follow these instructions. No need to remove the sway bar. Remove the radiator fan and there's room to get the pump out. Eninty's DIY had printable instructions, which I used to do my pump. I kept the file (attached).
Attached Files
File Type: doc Water Pump_T-stat DIY.doc (48.0 KB, 1457 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #113
SoIntoYou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

I got the job done last weekend and I must say it was quite a time consuming jon but it was worth the hassle. I hate the stealership, anyways you should remove the power steering line for easy access. The top 1 screw to the water pump is so difficult to get to that I did not reinstall it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #114
EASTCOASTNINJA
WILL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIntoYou View Post
I got the job done last weekend and I must say it was quite a time consuming jon but it was worth the hassle. I hate the stealership, anyways you should remove the power steering line for easy access. The top 1 screw to the water pump is so difficult to get to that I did not reinstall it in the end.
Yea I didn't put the bolt on either and the car is fine. Well worth the time and effort.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #115
d3drturner
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by omvijoca View Post
Log entry. At 106,000 miles the 2007 BMW 328xi left me stranded. Amber then red overtemp warning. Cost: $1450 at an independent BMW shop for waterpump and thermostat.

This kind of thing really makes me mad at BMW engineers. Really? Electric water pump. In a super inaccessible location.

My next car will not be a German POS. I ran from VW (electronic nightmare on Tourag), V-6 engine failure on a 2007 Audi A4.

It will be Japanese from this point forward. Sorry BMW fans.
My pump just went bad at 62k miles.

Audi/VW is truly crap cars. My friend's Audi Allroad (A6) is a constant problem. Reverse gear just went out on that, after the suspension bags, control arms, instrument panel, seat heater, emissions blower, oil temp sender, etc, etc--run screaming from Audi.

However, here's a couple of true Jap car stories. I helped my ex get a new 2009 Honda Civic (my daughter got the old e46 in the divorce) and the steering rack had to be replaced within the first 1000 miles because of leaks. A co-worker had a 2008 Toyota Scion TC that started overheating at 60k. They said the head gasket was leaking but couldn't be replaced because the head bolts broke off, requiring a new engine. She now has a Hyundai.

I think my next car is going to be a Ford Crown Vic. cop car with black steel wheels. That way I can hit pot holes and park next to nice cars in our tiny parking spots with no worries. A crown Vic water pump is $22. I'm going to take all the extra money I'll have and hide it in the Cayman Islands.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #116
hotwired78
Lord
Rep
Drives: AW 09 E92 M3

mine went out last weekend under CPO at 63k... pretty early. good thing it was still under cpo
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #117
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

I just ordered and received a new water pump, thermostat, bolts and radiator fluid. Will be doing a replacement soon before the pump fails. Currently have 49K and original fluid in a 06 325i.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #118
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3drturner View Post
I think my next car is going to be a Ford Crown Vic. cop car with black steel wheels. That way I can hit pot holes and park next to nice cars in our tiny parking spots with no worries. A crown Vic water pump is $22. I'm going to take all the extra money I'll have and hide it in the Cayman Islands.
MITT! Is that you! I'm not sure a Crown Vic is really appropriate for your car elevator. I mean, what will the neighbors think?!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #119
d3drturner
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
MITT! Is that you! I'm not sure a Crown Vic is really appropriate for your car elevator. I mean, what will the neighbors think?!
The neighbors are too busy thinking about my magic underwear.

Meanwhile, back on topic, after swearing for 5 hours at the mess of hoses and nearly impossible to reach clamps (I think there's a lot more crap in the way on the 335xi), I got the water pump and thermostat out.

I took the pump apart and I've attached some images of the internals.

The propeller looks good and it spins fine.

The plastic coating on the inner drum is cracked and I chipped off a piece revealing the metal drum underneath. Surely this would not cause the pump to fail. Anyone know how to test the pump on the bench?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #120
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I bet the chunk of plastic that broke off jammed the other side. The pictures show it perfectly! The broken chunk got wedged on the other side and left the dark mark and crack. Hell you can even see the exact mark on the broken beige chunk sitting next to the water bottle cap!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #121
tsa1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

I always forget to say thank you in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #122
dailo
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Must just failed at 51K miles and 3 months after my warranty. Car is stuck at dealership and not looking forward to the quote tomorrow ...seems like a common problem I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #123
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omvijoca View Post
Log entry. At 106,000 miles the 2007 BMW 328xi left me stranded. Amber then red overtemp warning. Cost: $1450 at an independent BMW shop for waterpump and thermostat.

This kind of thing really makes me mad at BMW engineers. Really? Electric water pump. In a super inaccessible location.

My next car will not be a German POS. I ran from VW (electronic nightmare on Tourag), V-6 engine failure on a 2007 Audi A4.

It will be Japanese from this point forward. Sorry BMW fans.
I have changed the waterpump on a Honda Civic. I haven't changed the waterpump on my BMW yet, but I know exactly how to do it and it looks tremendously easier to do considering I don't have to worry about a damn timing belt. Not to mention some of those Japanese cars, you'll have to remove a motor mount or two to be able to tilt up the motor so you can even access the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Nope, what I meant was BMW included the I-drive screen as the second hump on the instrument panel, which forced them to shrink the real-estate needed for the proper (classic) BMW gauge cluster, so they just ditched the temp gauge all together and moved the gas gauge under the speedo.
If you have a BT OBDII unit and the TORQ app for your phone or tablet, you can get coolant temperture in real time, as well as a lot of other info about what the motor is doing....although no oil temp, unless I set it up wrong.

Car just threw code P0128 (t-stat stuck open), I cleared it and so far it hasn't returned so I am assuming it went back to functioning properly again...for now. I watched the coolant rise fairly quickly from a cold start, so I assume the t-stat closed up for that. Everything seems to be working like normal. Will be getting a new t-stat and pump soon though.

Last edited by Casca; 11-13-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #124
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G30 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 530I M Sport   [0.00]
  [10.00]
Taking my car in tonight to dealer after work, no overheat yet but noticed the radiator fan turning on periodically for like 3 seconds then shutting off ( hearing the fan sound) even before the coolant is up to normal temp, SA says that is an idication of pump failure but need to trouble shoot, rough estimate $1,200-$1,300

Does anyone know whether when dealer do this do they change the thermostat too or I need to tell them? How about the coolant, do they just top it off when done or do they drain and fill/flush?

Thanks everyone!

BTW car only has 58,000 Miles !
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #125
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
Taking my car in tonight to dealer after work, no overheat yet but noticed the radiator fan turning on periodically for like 3 seconds then shutting off ( hearing the fan sound) even before the coolant is up to normal temp, SA says that is an idication of pump failure but need to trouble shoot, rough estimate $1,200-$1,300

Does anyone know whether when dealer do this do they change the thermostat too or I need to tell them? How about the coolant, do they just top it off when done or do they drain and fill/flush?

Thanks everyone!

BTW car only has 58,000 Miles !
I changed mine today at 50K. No problems, just wanted to put in a replacement before I had a breakdown on the road. I gave all of the parts to an Indy and he charged me $270 for labor. I recommend that the T stat be replaced as you have to remove it anyways as it is attached to the pump. I think you have to tell them to replace the t stat and drain the coolant or otherwise they will just do what the service order says. Most coolant will drain when the pump is removed, but there is still coolant in the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #126
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
E90 water Pump question for the experts - HELP !

Hello, I have a 2006 325i sedan that I just had the water pump, therm and flush done at the dealer, needless to say it wasn't cheap. To my surprise, when I got home I noticed on my invoice that the water pump is a 'remaufactured' part. I have also read somewhere on here I can't find now where, but read that BMW redesigned the pumps a couple of times since the intitial part put on the car due to the fact that they are prone to going out at any time. Does anyone know if the remanufactured part would have the redesigned ( better ) parts in it, or did I just get shafted ? does anyone have the orginial part number and the successors? I am really puzzled as to why a BMW dealer ship would install a remanufactured part vs new! Please help before I go back to them.

Last edited by LittleBlue; 11-19-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #127
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
Hello, I have a 2006 325i sedan that I just had the water pump, therm and flush done at the dealer, needless to say it wasn't cheap. To my surprise, when I got home I noticed on my invoice that the water pump is a 'remaufactured' part. I have also read somewhere on here I can't find now where, but read that BMW redesigned the pumps a couple of times since the intitial part put on the car due to the fact that they are prone to going out at any time. Does anyone know if the remanufactured part would have the redesigned ( better ) parts in it, or did I just get shafted ? does anyone have the orginial part number and the successors? I am really puzzled as to why a BMW dealer ship would install a remanufactured part vs new! Please help before I go back to them and cause a scene.
See this thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717546
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #128
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Thank you Brad this helps! you da man!

Just hope the new part number is not just an indication that it is remanufactured!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #129
jvangel
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I'm at 95,000 miles and so far so good on the water pump issue. Now that my Daughter is away at college I have parked the 325i in the garage and drive the Honda 100% of the time. Car runs great but I believe I'm going to sell it as I'm not driving it anymore.

If anyone is interested then let me know. $11000.00 (Rear passenger door has some scratches from my 8 year old hitting it with his bike.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #130
tstansbury
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335 xi

How can you tell if it is just the thermastat or both the waterpump and themastat? I noticed that my heater did not work (it was 39 deg out) then yellow light came on in about 5 min engiene temp gage did not come up at all shut off for 15 minutes started car saw tempeture gage jump up then drop right back down still no heater yellow light came on in about 5 min.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #131
bigvic4545
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

My water pump just died on me with 55,000 miles on the dash. Got a quote from the dealer for 1,200 dollars for water pump plus labor. I gave them the middle finger and decided to do it on my own. Bought the water pump and thermostat as a package from Tishser BMW for 475.00 and a gallon of coolant for 25. A total of $500 and only took me 4 hours to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #132
pifane
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330XI 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3drturner View Post
My pump just went bad at 62k miles.

Audi/VW is truly crap cars. My friend's Audi Allroad (A6) is a constant problem. Reverse gear just went out on that, after the suspension bags, control arms, instrument panel, seat heater, emissions blower, oil temp sender, etc, etc--run screaming from Audi.

However, here's a couple of true Jap car stories. I helped my ex get a new 2009 Honda Civic (my daughter got the old e46 in the divorce) and the steering rack had to be replaced within the first 1000 miles because of leaks. A co-worker had a 2008 Toyota Scion TC that started overheating at 60k. They said the head gasket was leaking but couldn't be replaced because the head bolts broke off, requiring a new engine. She now has a Hyundai.

Awesome story lol
Appreciate 0