E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

09-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #265
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
George,
I finally bought the Zaino products and now I am wondering if I should put a carnumba or other type of wax over it. I did the Z-2pro with the ZFX and Z-6 spray over and it looks great. Some others have suggested getting the Clearcoat spray (Can't remember the number from Zaino) also. If I need a wax, can you hook me up with a recommended wax for the Sparkling Graphite?
Sounds good. To many detailers this comes down to personal preference. I personally like the look of a wax topper and appreciate the additional protective characteristics that sealants tend to lag behind on. Many detailers feel that waxes, although much shorter lived in durability, do protect the surface better for bird droppings and water spots. I prefer the deep wet look of a quality carnauba wax, but again that is preference.

Two great options for Sparkling Graphite would be Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax or P21S Concours Carnauba Wax. P21S is a little easier to work with and comes with a very nice applicator pad that conveniently stores in the top lid. Both give off a nice deep glow and are reasonably priced.

Let us know if you decide to top the Zaino treatment with wax and what you think of your results.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #266
OnOn
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 (via ED on 5/31/07)

George --

Thanks for all the great detailing advise. I waxed my new E93 over the weekend with P21S wax, but in looking at the results this morning with 'fresh eye's", looks like I managed to get some wax on the black weatherstripping between the roof panels. Any advise on how best to remove?

Cheers,

OnOn
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #267
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOn View Post
George --

Thanks for all the great detailing advise. I waxed my new E93 over the weekend with P21S wax, but in looking at the results this morning with 'fresh eye's", looks like I managed to get some wax on the black weatherstripping between the roof panels. Any advise on how best to remove?

Cheers,

OnOn
OnOn, I usually will tackle dried on wax with Isopropyl Alcohol and Distilled Water diluted 1:1. Since it is fresh wax, it should wipe off without much effort, but if it seems to be stubborn, you can resort to a soft bristle (tooth) brush to agitate the pours of the trim. Afterwards follow up with a trim protectant to help prevent any UV fading.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #268
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Poorbooy's Wheel sealant is meant for our stock, painted wheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #269
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Poorbooy's Wheel sealant is meant for our stock, painted wheels?
Yep, Wheel Sealant will work wonders on OEM BMW wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #270
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

George thank you for your time in answering all of our questions. I love detailing so much I opened my own detail shop. I loved reading all 13 pages and it's fun to pick up little techniques that can help me and I can give to my costumers.

I use exclusively Griot's products. I'V tried a lot of different products throughout the years and Griot's just works for me.

Every thing you post is spot on and I thank you again for all your very hard work on this thread.

Couple of pictures of my car.
Attached Images

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #271
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the positive feedback Ruff Rider. Your pictures look stunning, that is a very sharp 335i you have! Have you had a chance to list your services on our Find A Detailer Directory?

There are a lot of great detailing lines out there. Many detailers end up trying a bunch of products but eventually settle in with what works best for them and best fit their needs.

If there's anything I can give you a hand with, let me know!

George
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #272
stiffdogg06
Turboed!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon to be 330i

Beautiful 335i!

That color is absolutely jaw dropping.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #273
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Hey Andrew, nice to see you on e90post as well

I agree, that color is gorgeous.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #274
stiffdogg06
Turboed!
United_States
Rep

I've been a lurker for awhile. Finally decide to register.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #275
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Detailed Image
I am getting a new car ! When do you need to detail it first time ?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #276
stiffdogg06
Turboed!
United_States
Rep

I would do the complete new car detail as soon as you can so you can get it protected from day one.

http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...r-day-3-a.html

That one is a good one to use for the interior.

I couldn't find a very thorough exterior detail on a brand new car. So I will use a good friends service he provides. I in no way take credit for these services.

Exterior Includes:

* Removal of shipping plastic
* Hand Wash
* Clay bar decontamination
* Chemical cleaner applied via machine <-- May or may not be needed
* Sealant base
* Choice of sealant or wax
* All plastic, rubber and vinyl dressed and UV protected
* Wheels cleaned and sealed
* Chrome polished and sealed
* Tires dressed
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #277
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffdogg06 View Post
I would do the complete new car detail as soon as you can so you can get it protected from day one.

http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...r-day-3-a.html

That one is a good one to use for the interior.

I couldn't find a very thorough exterior detail on a brand new car. So I will use a good friends service he provides. I in no way take credit for these services.

Exterior Includes:

* Removal of shipping plastic
* Hand Wash
* Clay bar decontamination
* Chemical cleaner applied via machine <-- May or may not be needed
* Sealant base
* Choice of sealant or wax
* All plastic, rubber and vinyl dressed and UV protected
* Wheels cleaned and sealed
* Chrome polished and sealed
* Tires dressed

well, I heard somewhere that you don't want to detail your car right away, since it has already some kind of protection from the factory ... i don't know if this is right or not ... that's why i decided to ask ...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #278
stiffdogg06
Turboed!
United_States
Rep

Sometimes if you pay for it, dealerships will apply a "sealant" that is called Xilion. But in true reality, it's just another scam in the market of selling cars.

Once you buy a car its your car and you can polish/wax whenever you want. The only time you should wait to polish your car is when is was repainted. Unless the painter was able to bake your car in their oven. Any of the sealants/waxes you can buy, say from George(detailedimage) are way better than the crap dealers put on.

BTW. I think I spelled that Xilion name wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #279
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Don't let the dealer sell you any garbage.

My car didn't even get on a rail, as the dealer here is only 6 miles from the processing center. I could feel the junk on the paint. I wahed, then clayed the whole thing. It's a nice chance to get to know your new baby. Then seal with whichever system you prefer. My pref is Zaino, but there are others out there.
If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken each wheel off and applied some sealant to them.

P.S. I'm not a professional detailer . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #280
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Detailed Image
I am getting a new car ! When do you need to detail it first time ? I heard somewhere that you don't want to detail your car right away, since it has already some kind of protection from the factory ... i don't know if this is right or not ... that's why i decided to ask ...
doba_s, first of all congrats on the new vehicle! The time between when you receive your vehicle and your first detail is completely up to you. If you take the time to invest in some quality auto detailing products and tools, chances are you are going to do a much better job than any dealership prep work. If there was a coat of protection from the factory, chances are by the time you receive your vehicle, there will be little to protection remaining.

For a start on properly prepping your own vehicle. Kevin from GTA in Detail has an excellent guide to a new car prep. Stiffdogg offered some great advice as well.

If I were putting together a kit for new car buyers, these would be what I consider the essentials:

Washing & Drying:
Paint Prep:
Paint Protection:
Interior Care:
Wheels & Tires:
These would be some products I'd put into an 'essentials' kit for new car care. If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #281
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thank you George ,

I already have most of these products, remember i sent like over $400 when i was planing to detail my ZHP ... and all of those products were awesome ...
and thank you again for a good advise ...
I will order some more stuff soon ...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #282
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

George,

Hook me up with a price and we can agree via PM on the details. I ahve recommende you to some European buyers, let me know if they geet in touch wth you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Sounds good. To many detailers this comes down to personal preference. I personally like the look of a wax topper and appreciate the additional protective characteristics that sealants tend to lag behind on. Many detailers feel that waxes, although much shorter lived in durability, do protect the surface better for bird droppings and water spots. I prefer the deep wet look of a quality carnauba wax, but again that is preference.

Two great options for Sparkling Graphite would be Poorboy's Natty's Red Paste Wax or P21S Concours Carnauba Wax. P21S is a little easier to work with and comes with a very nice applicator pad that conveniently stores in the top lid. Both give off a nice deep glow and are reasonably priced.

Let us know if you decide to top the Zaino treatment with wax and what you think of your results.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #283
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
George,

Hook me up with a price and we can agree via PM on the details. I ahve recommende you to some European buyers, let me know if they geet in touch wth you,
Thanks for the recommendations, they are greatly appreciated! PM sent
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #284
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I put some PB wheel sealant on my bike last night. Not sure I like that "watermelon" smell, but my headlight, header covers, tailpipe and tranny cover are slicker than snot!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #285
ae8t6ix
Friends don't let friends apex early
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325I

Garage List
1985 Corolla GT-s  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
George,

I've had my e90 now for about 6 months in that time the sprinklers have constantly left hard water on the paint. I have attempted to wash and use meguiar's scratchx constantly, but I'm exhausted with the constant maintenance. Ontop of that I have major swirl marks all over from the dealer's washes. I'm looking to get a porter cable buffer and was hoping you could set me up with a kit. Assuming, pads you would recommend using and the type of product(s) to use to remove hard water spots, swirls and seal everything back up. Thanks for you time, I look forward to hearing your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #286
stiffdogg06
Turboed!
United_States
Rep

I would suggest going to www.detailedimage.com and looking at what they offer.

I suggest getting:

Porter Cable 7424
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish
Depending if you want to wax every few months, i'd get Poorboy's Natty's Blue or if you want more protection. I suggest Poorboy's Ex-P
A clay bar would be nice if your paint feels "gritty" after a wash.
6.5" LC Orange pads for Intensive Polish
6.5" LC White pads for Final Polish

I also suggest getting some nice washing mitts and Waffle Weave drying towels to less the chance of micromarring up your freshly cleaned paint.

I'm sure George from www.detailedimage.com and www.detailuniversity.com def. will chime in soon.

I also suggest going and registering at www.detailuniversity.com. They have an awesome site and tons of info. to offer free.
Appreciate 0