E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Gear changes worse after service and solenoid change

08-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
Eldotbe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M140i

Gear changes worse after service and solenoid change

Hi need some help regard my 325d 2012, 140k

To begin T he car hasn’t had a transmission service before so I thought I’d do one. I know it’s way overdue but only had the car 3 months. Also when changing into second it kinda slips and flutters but only in drive and 2nd gear.

So, I followed the correct procedure to service the zf6 box. Also changed the mechatronic seal. And all new zf solenoids. Put it all back together and took it out for a test drive.

The flutter is no longer there in 2nd but all the gear changes are horrendous now. Clunking and just doesn’t feel healthy at all. Pulling away 1st - 2nd is the worst then gets better as I go up. Also downshift are awful, feel like I’m going to get chucked through the windscreen lol

I’m kinda stuck at this point what to do, the only thing I could do now is reset adaptations and follow the zf procedure of the gearbox learning again. Another thing is when filling up the box with oil, I didn’t leave the car on when I was topping it up at 30-50°c. Now I’ve read that you should because all the oil will just fall to the sump and I’ll get an incorrect reading. Could this be the issue, not enough oil?

Will be putting more in tomorrow thanks in advance for any help
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
PR3C1510N
Local Bimmer Guy
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldotbe View Post
Hi need some help regard my 325d 2012, 140k

To begin T he car hasn’t had a transmission service before so I thought I’d do one. I know it’s way overdue but only had the car 3 months. Also when changing into second it kinda slips and flutters but only in drive and 2nd gear.

So, I followed the correct procedure to service the zf6 box. Also changed the mechatronic seal. And all new zf solenoids. Put it all back together and took it out for a test drive.

The flutter is no longer there in 2nd but all the gear changes are horrendous now. Clunking and just doesn’t feel healthy at all. Pulling away 1st - 2nd is the worst then gets better as I go up. Also downshift are awful, feel like I’m going to get chucked through the windscreen lol

I’m kinda stuck at this point what to do, the only thing I could do now is reset adaptations and follow the zf procedure of the gearbox learning again. Another thing is when filling up the box with oil, I didn’t leave the car on when I was topping it up at 30-50°c. Now I’ve read that you should because all the oil will just fall to the sump and I’ll get an incorrect reading. Could this be the issue, not enough oil?

Will be putting more in tomorrow thanks in advance for any help
hmmm... just a thought but have you checked the mounts? I had a similar problem but felt a very slight vibration that ended up being collapsed mounts. swapped out all trans/engine mounts and it went away.
also, what trans fluid did you go with?
2011 328i - 3 stage mf, dinan tb, aa headers, midpipe, exhaust and aa tune, csf radiator, simota v2 intake, sprint booster pedal tuner, condor motor mounts, megan euro ii coils, style 94 wheels on 245/40R18 Hankook Ventus V12 evos, mars headlights, euro amber tails, and a pepboys shift knob.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

What fluid did you use? If not ZF Lifeguard 6, there's your problem.
Appreciate 0