E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Sway Bar and End Links position

05-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Sway Bar and End Links position

Hi All,

The rear Subframe, differential and Propshaft is back on the car and I started to bolt some. Of the arms back onto the wheel hub but when I attempted to bolt the bottom of the end link for the Sway bar it doesn't quite line up? Is the end links supposed to line up perfectly, I've attached the wishbone, control arm, trailing arm, toe arm but the camber arm is off at the moment on both sides

The video isn't great but if you can see, the one side which does have the drop link attached isnt perfectly in line with the hub mount but the other side is way off

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 05-01-2020 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I can't really tell what you mean from the video...is the free link sitting lower than the mount hole? Have you installed the springs and shocks properly on both sides? Check the shock top mounts are assembled the right way both sides...they're pretty confusing!

Also, I think you've got the sway bar links installed in the wrong side of the bar; ball joints should be inside the bar, not outside as you have them...I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I can't really tell what you mean from the video...is the free link sitting lower than the mount hole? Have you installed the springs and shocks properly on both sides? Check the shock top mounts are assembled the right way both sides...they're pretty confusing!

Also, I think you've got the sway bar links installed in the wrong side of the bar; ball joints should be inside the bar, not outside as you have them...I think.
Unfortunately the positioning is correct, I compared against this video

https://youtu.be/FB4xckjhv1c

At 7 mins you can see him remove the drop link and the ball joint is towards the disc brake, neither the spring or the shock is installed at the moment but the other side went in okay while it was jacked up but as you can see on the other side the drop link is lower than the hub already.. I'll get the camber arm on tomorrow and install the spring and shock to see if that makes it any better. My only concern was whether the Sway bar can be positioned differently before the Sway bar mounts are tightened to the subframe.

Update

This is quite interesting, at 4:30 in the video when he pops the bottom of the drop link out, the bolt on the droplink points to opposite way to the hub mounting hole. The mounting hole is angled towards the brake disc whereas the drop link bolt faces towards the subframe side so maybe it is normally for it not to align.

https://youtu.be/xkbImddeA8Y

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 05-01-2020 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Fair enough, I'm misremembering about the ball joint side.

Regarding the bottom end, I'm still no further forward on what your problem is. If it's the height that the droplink sits, you need to install the camber arm and at least the damper so that the suspension is actually constrained at its topped out height, otherwise the arms may well just be sitting at random positions. I don't see any issue with yours and the angle of the bolt.
Appreciate 0