E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E93 boot leak fix with pictures

10-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
alpinaconvert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 Xdrive Xline

Water in my E93 cabrio has just fried my amp on LHS but water has affected the DAB radio control unit and the Bluetooth c/unit in middle and RHS near the back seat rest as well. Parts alone are £2562!
Will give your excellent advice to dealer. Thank you!!
Any advice where other water may be getting in?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #24
Mr HG
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M sport

Really glad I found this thread, it's been raining quite hard on and off for a few weeks now in the West of Scotland and last night I noticed a couple of drops of water, passenger(left)side , just on the flat bit next to the rear head rest.

After a quick search last night I then today checked the small storage bit in the boot as a few people had suggested and found a puddle about an inch deep.

I'll be trying this great bit of advice first chance I get, so a big thanks to the OP even though it's an old thread.

I do have one curiosity though, why is there a plastic plug where water is meant to drain out?, i'm presuming it's a plug that water can pass through and is just becoming clogged but wouldn't it just be better leaving it off once you get it off?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #25
Joshbm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93 330i M Sport

Im so glad you bumped this thread because mine is doing the exact same, in the same place. I will be checking this at the weekend!
      12-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #26
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Very useful guide, thanks! I'll check mine this weekend too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #27
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I am guessing this has nothing to do with water running in the boot via the top rubber seal?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep

Just to add-its as though the rubber needs re moulding where it is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #29
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

Thanks for posting. I'll be keeping an eye on things.
      01-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #30
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #31
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Wow. Mines never leaked. I'm in Florida and it rains more days than Seattle. 2008 with 226k miles. I'll keep a watch. Original pics are dead. Where am I looking?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #32
jtonky
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 330D

boot leak resolved

Hi I had a leak now resolved.
Since i owned the car the car some times had condensation in the inside. there was recently 4 days of heavy rain and it got much much worse. The boot interior around the battery was damp and the rear lamp had condensation in it.

i exposes the battery and noticed water so i ordered some cheap tubing and siphoned put two buckets of water! i looked on you tube and saw some videos and did some tests with a hose but nothing. i gave in and took it to my local garage in (deep cut garage gu16 6ez) and they put an engineer in the boot with a tourch having removed the battery. they noticed watwr was running into the battery well from the rear. they removed the bumper and saw how water ran off the body work and onto the chassis and through a crack in the welding in to the battery well.

they advised that the car had previously suffered rear end damage ans that when this was repaired this was not spotted and it was about two grains of rice in size, now filled and the bu,pwr back on... no more water in the well..

so looks like there are a few ways for this to leak but if anything i would say remove battery and get a friend to shut you in and then watch the leak come in. you may need to remove the bumper as the outside body work allows water to run against the chassis / outside of the battery well.

i was charged £126 for 3 hours labour and parts inc vat. so its pot luck how quick they find it but i think that price is reasonable as left un checked the damage to the wireing loom would be expensive.

i chose this garage as they are an authorised repairer for allot of insurance companies and they service / repair emergency service vehicles so they have allot of experience with a wide range of cars. somthing to think about. A BMW garage i think are more used to new shiney cars and dont see so much of these sorts of issued as most insurance companies will never authorise a repair to be done by bmw
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #33
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Thanks much to the OP. I'm having same exact issues. Water in battery tray and no sound (possibly blown AMP) I will raising my car and checking the the drain.
So on the drain plug all you have to do is turn it. There is an arrow on the plug. Once you turn it you should be able to pull the plug right out. Easy peasy. I did this on both sides. Unfortunately mine did not seem clogged up. I had some old fuel tubing about 3-4 feet worth and slid it up as far as it would go. I did not pull out any debri etc... So I guess I still have a mystery of how I'm getting water in the trunk.

Last edited by GEOS07335i; 12-19-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #34
Hodgepodge
Dude with a lot of BMWs
Rep
Drives: E93(2),E70,E61,2002(2),++

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i E91  [0.00]
1991 BMW M5  [9.75]
1974 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
1988 BMW M5  [10.00]
1988 BMW M5  [9.75]
1975 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328i Conve ...  [0.00]
2008 535i Touring  [0.00]
2009 335i Convertible  [0.00]
Hello all,

Couple of things. First, this fix is ONLY for the convertible E93 cars. The drain plug is for the convertible top drain and if it is clogged, the top drains down the back into the trunk along the roof rails.

I have 2 E93 cars and the left trunk compartment in one of them flooded during some heavy rain, shorting the ground to the amp to give that whining noise. I've been there on other cars, so I knew it was a bad ground or wet wires. Fortunately, I was able to remove the amp and dry it out.

To clear the drains, I jacked up the car enough to get a T30 torx driver into the two screws used to hold the panel/mud-guard covering the drain plug. I popped out ONE but not BOTH of the plastic rivets so I could move the guard out of the way. I popped the front one since the other one is up in the well further and impossible to see. The drain plug/baffle is a 14mm hex driver and is installed bayonet style, requiring only 1/4 turn to remove. Mine dropped right out.
I then used some semi-stiff wire to flush the debris out of the hole.

I'll try to attach an image.

When re-installing the two torx bolts, be VERY careful not to overtighten them as they are fastened with plastic speednuts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #35
midpoint
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Thank you to the OP for this guide. I too got about 4 litres of water out of one side (I could hear it slushing around while driving.)

Can I add a warning for those who are trying to clean out inside the drain with a wire.

I did this but got the wire stuck in the bottom of the electric window regulator, this interfered with opening the window (and hence lowering the roof.).

Getting this back out required stripping the rear quarter and pulling the whole unit out from above, which took about 4 hours all in. No lasting damage but a pain to deal with.

Other thing is the drain plug/baffle on one side got broken. Does anyone know the part number or where to order a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #36
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I just checked the roof drains on my new-to-me 2007 E93 with 85K miles. My conclusion is that it has lived a fairly sheltered life; there was a wee bit of crud in the helix drain thingies, but zero water came out. Dry as a bone. I ran some weed whacker cord through all of the roof and side drains I could find while I was in there, and checked the condition of some of the other drain bits such as those wacky pin-operated valves. All looks pretty good.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the pictures and words in this thread. Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #37
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

found original pictures...

Hi all, anyone with An E93 might know about water ingress into the boot. After much research it seem to be the tubes that drain water away that get clogged with debris.

Now BMW will charge about £600 to remove the roof to gain access to the top of these tubes ....... however, after much research I found a way to clear these from under the car

My boot was dry all bar a few drips but I did have some water on the nearside quater light after retracting it even though it has not rained for ages!!!

So to access these drain tubes you need to jack the rear of the car uo and just infront of the rear wheel is a rubber mudflap thing. This needs to be removed by removing one panel type plastic fixing and two plastic T25 bolts.

Mud flap thingy

This is one of the T25's and the other is just behind the flap.

Once done you can swing the mudflap away exposing the round plastic drain plug. This you need to twist a bit and it should come out.

This is what you will see once the mudguard is removed
From the side this is the bit that gets clogged with muck and then the water backs up

Once removed about 4 litres of rancid smelly pond water poured out and this was the same side as the wet window. I did the same on the other side but apart from some gunk it was dry.

I fed some flexible garden wire all the way in and it went about a metre up and you can here it rattling about behind the panels. This will ensure no blockages further up.

Cheaper than £600 eh and worth doing to all E93's

Hope this helps someone out

Jon
Dpc2u11503.00
wdb4673.00
      07-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #38
Spanner99
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 330d

Can anyone help

I’ve had my e93 for 3 and a half years now and every time it rains I get water leaking onto the rear side bolster and a puddle in the cubbyhole in the boot.

I’ve tried jacking the car up, checking the drain plugs and having a poke around with some wire but nothing came out.

Is there anything else that I could check/clean or has anyone else had this problem even after checking the drain plugs

Dan
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #39
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

According to this video there is a valve somewhere in the back that might cause it.

Jon
      09-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #40
Globuss
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Hello, i noticed water in amp side a month ago. Cleaned drain plugs. After cleaning i poured lot of water on car. It was coming out of drains with no problems. Now its raining for week and again water near amp this time amp got fried. I cant figure out from where its leaking. Any advise ill add picture. Its everything around is dry only in bottom everything is wet.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

Even if drains work fine, you may still have leak through seals or also behind the seals. Seals shrink and I guess the butyl strips that hold them to the car are letting go. I would check two areas: seals above rear window on top in the corners, where they are curving/bending. If that's leaking, you might not even see it because it will go over the plastic panel right behind the cloth thing near rear headrests and you will find water somewhere in the back of the car and also under the rear seats (just pull them up and check, they are easy to remove).
Another area to check are those drains shown in this thread in the last post: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...3#post25393023 there is visible drain hole there with an outer ring and there is a drain coming from the roof with a plug with needle-like metal spring loaded valve that goes into it, when its all closed, the needle is pushed in and that is supposed to open the valve.
      06-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #42
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

I just did this on my '07 e93 with msport kit.
Just to say that I found the set up different than all mentioned here.

Sorry I didn't get any pics but here's my experience.
My little mud flap is tucked under the side skirting.
I was able to bend back the side skirt and bend the little mud flap in order to reach the plastic drain plug. But for me this was because i've had my skrts on and off so many times that I was actually missing the two small screws at the rear of the skirt (it still stays in place). Others will likely find that they will need to remove those two scews in order to move the skirt and bend/reach the mud flap edge. Further my mud flap had no bolts/screws in it. Rather a push snap on fitting to the underbody which I could not remove. It also looked OEM and I don't think anyone had been in there before. Don't be shy though, both the mud flap and skirt bend enough to reach the plug.
Finally beware when undoing it. I had nothing, not even a spot of water come out in comparison to the videos online then all at once and without warning 3 - 4 litres emptied outfull flow in about 10 seconds with me rolling away from the car to escape a soaking.

As an aside I also used a "Helin E8110 Trombone Bore Cleaner" from amazon to clean out the blocked front drain which was dripping water onto my lap from the roof as it was blocked. This tool is perfect for clearing out the drainage tubes.

Lastly does anyone know exactly how it is that the water ends up in the rear quarter panel? Am wondering if there are any other places to unblock.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #43
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

...And as a 'moment of truth' I just opened the boot after heavy rainfall last night and watched as the water run from the boot lid into the side wells, disappeared into the slots above the lights... and a drained staright through onto my driveway from the lower area of the rear bumper.
Mission accomplished.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #44
stockport
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i e93 M-sport

Wet Boot but no sign of blocked drains

Good Day All, I wonder if anyone here can help advise me please. My 2007 e93 is now also suffering the wet boot problem, with water in both the battery and storage compartment (on the opposite side to the battery()

I have tried:

i) opening up the two drains near the rear wheels and pushed a hose up there as per the youtube video, but no water came out and there is no sign of a blockage.

ii) checked the two small drains as per this picture, but no sign of blockage.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...3#post25393023

iii) checked the small drains near the rear light clusters. Water is flowing fine through these and out of the car.

I wonder if there might be a broken seal somewhere around the rear window/boot area. The boot lid is very wet on the inside, in particular on one of the far panels as shown in the photo. I assumed this was condensation from the wet boot, but today it is below freezing and was ice in places.

Can anyone please suggest for me what I ought to check next?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0