E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW performance exhaust review.. yes another one

09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

BMW performance exhaust review.. yes another one

so i bought a brand new exhaust off a fellow forum member. Let me tell you one thing. If you are having any doubts about this exhaust after listening to it on youtube, i can understand why. This sounds nothing like it does on youtube. Absolutely and completely different. I have nothing on but the BMW PE stock DP's etc. For those who were luck to hear what the old Skyline R34's twin turbos with exhaust systems sounded like, this sounds the exact way. Deep menacing and totally factory. Its completely mild when cruising. In fact, it makes me miss having a manual car to really hear it and control when i hear it. In regular mode, the cars goes through the gears so fast. I have one problem and that is that i live in a tropics where the avg temp all year round is 30-35 degrees celcius so driving with windows down is not really an option unless you like feeling hot. You definitely hear it a lot more with windows down. You do get to hear it with the windows up. and strangely, it does feel more free flowing. Do yourself a favour. Find someone with it and take a ride along and make your decision. I dont know how any other exhaust sounds on a 335i but I can tell you that this definitely gives the car a far sportier personality and sound. Between 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm is music - symphony. Not sure how bmw engineered the sound to be so different from stock as the stock muffler as I understand it flows straight through as well.
      09-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you ever install catless downpipes, all good things mentioned will be gone lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep

this is loud enough!!
      09-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
If you ever install catless downpipes, all good things mentioned will be gone lol.
Please explain more...i was actually thinking about going vrsf dp and bmw performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
Please explain more...i was actually thinking about going vrsf dp and bmw performance exhaust
Rasp city, I strongly recommend against it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282 View Post
My buddy has the BMW PE and AE catless down pipes and it sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sound is subjective. Some people love the loud look. BMW spent time with this exhaust to make it sound so good. I revved the car with the mufflers off. It didn't sound so bad actually.
      09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
BMW PE with stock cats sounds BEAUTIFUL, I loved it and even removed my downpipes for almost a year just because I loved the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282 View Post
It sounds waaaay too raspy and boomy, I heard my brother take my car for a spin and I thought it sounded like a civic... I removed the downpipes the same day.

I have the downpipes back on now and will have resonators put into the mids to clean up the sound though.

I tried a bunch of other exhaust combos and nothing sounds as unique and clean as the PE.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep

I would never want to do anything that will mess wi the sound I have right now even for performance.
      09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
didn't know there were 335's in Trini. Glad u're able to share in the PE awesomeness. Definitely a unique car u got down there... did u get it freighted down?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post
didn't know there were 335's in Trini. Glad u're able to share in the PE awesomeness. Definitely a unique car u got down there... did u get it freighted down?
Yeah man. We have about 5. Most of them are from the uk imports. I think I am the only one running some mods. Yup freighted the PE down. Making how this thing has transformed the aural aspect of driving thr car. Always felt I was missing something to feel as if I was going fast. Don't underestimate the need for that aural experience. It does not sound like the YouTube videos. You a trini?
      09-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
Yeah man. We have about 5. Most of them are from the uk imports. I think I am the only one running some mods. Yup freighted the PE down. Making how this thing has transformed the aural aspect of driving thr car. Always felt I was missing something to feel as if I was going fast. Don't underestimate the need for that aural experience. It does not sound like the YouTube videos. You a trini?

haha, yep. Aural huh? It certainly is a capable car. Take care of it on the crazy roads though - and it definitely is a whole other beast with the MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

no one wants loud fart can on their bmw, PE is the one to go
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
I3ossman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335

IDK how u guys are hating on the PE/catless downpipe combo.. what does a good exhaust sound like to you guys?? My car with an injen DCI, 3" AR catless and the PE exhaust sounds like a monster. I have never had one person tell me the car sounds "ricey" or a negative comment at all.. and I have taken friends for rides or cruised with friends who drive anything from an M6, viper, blown 70 chevelle, single turbo supra, blown mustang, porsche bla bla.. people stop me all the time at lights and gas stations telling me how amazing the car sounds.

I think you'll might have be a little self conscious with the ricey thing thinking people will look at you like you're driving something with a fart can on it. From the turbo exhaust housing back to my cyba tips my exhaust is worth more than most of the peoples cars listening to me drive by, and it sounds sick, I dont care what the hell they think about it lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ossman View Post
IDK how u guys are hating on the PE/catless downpipe combo.. what does a good exhaust sound like to you guys?? My car with an injen DCI, 3" AR catless and the PE exhaust sounds like a monster. I have never had one person tell me the car sounds "ricey" or a negative comment at all.. and I have taken friends for rides or cruised with friends who drive anything from an M6, viper, blown 70 chevelle, single turbo supra, blown mustang, porsche bla bla.. people stop me all the time at lights and gas stations telling me how amazing the car sounds.

I think you'll might have be a little self conscious with the ricey thing thinking people will look at you like you're driving something with a fart can on it. From the turbo exhaust housing back to my cyba tips my exhaust is worth more than most of the peoples cars listening to me drive by, and it sounds sick, I dont care what the hell they think about it lol

Do you have resonators in there? I know at least 10 guys locally from the groupbuy and another 10 who probably PM'ed me asking wtf happened to their exhaust who had the same issues with the rasp. Maybe you got lucky and don't get the rasp, but for all of us it killed a beautiful sound.

There are times when I don't get as much rasp either, but the times I do I haaate it. Throwing in 2 small resonators hopefully tommorow or Friday to finally sort out my exhaust after over a year of tinkering and trying to get the sound right.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
TwinTurboIS
Rep
Drives: 335is

Congrats and great to hear about your PE! I've probably seen just about every PE vid out there, only missing real comments and feedback from IS owners regarding stock IS with golf-tee mod vs PE...ahh the search continues

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ossman

I agree it sounds amazing, Ive heard this set up and I love it.
When people say it sounds bad, thats because those people also remove their secondary cats, making the exhaust very raspy. With the secondary cats on, it sounds great
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboIS
Congrats and great to hear about your PE! I've probably seen just about every PE vid out there, only missing real comments and feedback from IS owners regarding stock IS with golf-tee mod vs PE...ahh the search continues
Theres plenty of threads on that.
The is isnt as loud as the pe, even with the golf tee mod. Its in between stock and pe
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
wanderlei1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 lemans msport e92 coupe

I've been looking for a thread exactly like this. I went from active Autowerke to performance exhaust. I'm in love with my Pe. It's truly amazing. My issue now is that I want Downpipes and all I keep hearing is that it'll rasp, it'll ruin the sound, or it'll completely take away the character of it with resonators on. I was just contemplating buying a Remus exhaust but don't want to sell. Please post more feedback and advice. Videos too! I was going to bu vrsf Downpipes
Derek
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
so i bought a brand new exhaust off a fellow forum member. Let me tell you one thing. If you are having any doubts about this exhaust after listening to it on youtube, i can understand why. This sounds nothing like it does on youtube. Absolutely and completely different. I have nothing on but the BMW PE stock DP's etc. For those who were luck to hear what the old Skyline R34's twin turbos with exhaust systems sounded like, this sounds the exact way. Deep menacing and totally factory. Its completely mild when cruising. In fact, it makes me miss having a manual car to really hear it and control when i hear it. In regular mode, the cars goes through the gears so fast. I have one problem and that is that i live in a tropics where the avg temp all year round is 30-35 degrees celcius so driving with windows down is not really an option unless you like feeling hot. You definitely hear it a lot more with windows down. You do get to hear it with the windows up. and strangely, it does feel more free flowing. Do yourself a favour. Find someone with it and take a ride along and make your decision. I dont know how any other exhaust sounds on a 335i but I can tell you that this definitely gives the car a far sportier personality and sound. Between 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm is music - symphony. Not sure how bmw engineered the sound to be so different from stock as the stock muffler as I understand it flows straight through as well.

My EXACT sentiments! The PE exhaust maintains the stature of the mark but can bark loud enough when you're in the higher rev range without sounding ricey. After installing mine, top down driving is an absolute pleasure! If the misses uses my car to drop me to the train station, I hang about just to hear it drive off. The thing is even at low revs the burble from the exhaust, especially when the clutch is in to change gear, is fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

lol one of the first things i did with my 6MT 335i was buy some exhausts(went with AE), and love driving the thing every day.
and now the weathers better in houston, it's even more fun to drive with the windows down
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ossman View Post

Not that i dont believe you, but can you get some HIGH QUALITY vids of your exhaust from the exterior of your car. I find it hard to believe that someone with the exame same exhaust but different downpipes can sound magically amazing, while others say the rasp is terrible. Maybe you're desensitized to the raspiness? People say they love my exhaust all the time, but when i ask my honest friends, they admit it sounds a bit terrible at times.
Appreciate 0