E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > what tires do you use for winter?

10-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #23
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vs60r View Post
Winter virgin with a RWD car, been driving AWD forever. Do you guys get your winter tires with different rims? If so, which one would work for an e90 335i with sports pkg?

The e90 335i with sports package has the same high performance summer tires as the coupe, so I am thinking about getting a set of winter tires. Either that or I have to drive the s60R, but I am finding myself reluctant to climb into the Volvo these days...
For my cars, I normally mount the winters on the rims that came with the car and spend money to get aftermarket rims with performance tires for the summer. Had 18" Privat Reserves wrapped in Falken Azenis tires on my old car in the summer, Dunlop Wintersport M3s on the stock rims. I'll probably put my old car's stock rims with the same tires on my new car this winter since I still have them, and get something nice either this spring or next to complement black O.Z. Ultraleggeras.
      10-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
Sport package tires are considered performance summer tires. They are useless in the snow even with AWD. The tread may look aggressive but the problem is summer do not stick when they are cold.

My X5 had sport package with all-season tires and that was awful in the snow!
Yeah, it's a very bad idea to use those in the winter. My ex had an 03 Hyundai Tiburon that came with Z-rated Michelin Pilots, and those were notorious for poor traction with the smallest amount of ice or snow. I made sure that I had my summer tires off well before it got that cold on my last car.
      10-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #25
vs60r
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
Sport package tires are considered performance summer tires. They are useless in the snow even with AWD. The tread may look aggressive but the problem is summer do not stick when they are cold.

My X5 had sport package with all-season tires and that was awful in the snow!
I am pretty sure sports package for XI included all-season tires, not summer tires.

I have owned many AWD cars, all fair to highly modified, and never had to purchase winter tires ever.

Heck, I had been caught more than once in snow/ice on Toyo T1-S when I decided to take my Spyder VR4 out for a spin on what appeared to be sunny winter days... Well, ok that wasn't fun... It was like I had skis on, but hey those were definitely some exciting drives...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #26
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondub View Post
i dont get it. im looking on my paper that comes in the window of the car stating all the stuff that comes with the car.. and heres what it says

Sport Package:
-17" alloy wheels
-all-season tires
-leather steering
-front sports seats
17" wheels w/performace tires
"
"
"
what should i make of this? do i have sport or all season? haha
Do you have a coupe or Sedan?

If you go on BMWNA and look the sport package on the coupe you get this warning:
"*Run-flat tires do not come equipped with spare tire. *Due to low-profile tires, please note: wheels, tires and suspension parts are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damages. Performance tires not recommended for driving in snow and ice."

But I don't see that warning on the sedan.

Either way I would run a set of winter tires/wheels but that's your call...
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure how it is on the E90, but on the E46, if you have the sports package, it doesn't indicate what tires you have on the car. Sports package means you have a different steering wheel, the car sits lower, has stiffer springs, etc...but doesn't mean it has summer tires.

So chances are, you have a car with more aggressive suspension, but you do have all-season tires.
      10-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #28
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

For me, xports package on a 335XI sedan just means you can get 8 way adjustable seats, the steering wheel, and upgrade your rims to be a sportier series.

about it lol
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #29
vs60r
Private
Rep

The XI is only offered in Sedan trim.

Sports package for the XI Sedans come with performance 225/45R All-Season RFT tires, 17" wheels, 8 way adjustable seats, and sport steering wheel. Paddle shifters is not an option.

Sports package for the standard RWD Sedan come with performance summer tires with 225/40R front and 255/35R back (a surprisingly good and solid set too especially for RFT), 18" wheels, sport steering wheel, lowered sports tuned suspension. And you can get Paddle shifters as an add on option to the sports package.

You can see all this information if you go to bmwusa site and do the build your model thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #30
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
no need for snow tires anymore.....Global warming
it's Oct and is still in the 70s
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #31
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
I don't see what that has to do with anything. I can see how your saying you have to drive at random times and maybe during a storm.

I drove with my current vehicle same tires during one of the storms the past season. I am talking right in the middle of it even went on the highway. Did fine and had some fun in a parking lot.
I hope I'll never see you on the road in winter. I'm not trying to be holier than thou. However, we are sharing the road with other people, so I always try to prepare for the worst.

Also, you do realize that there are people that go to work at odd hours when the streets are not plowed or in the middle of a snow storm. You better hope those physicians who take home calls will be able to go to work under all weather conditions......
      10-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #32
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I hope I'll never see you on the road in winter. I'm not trying to be holier than thou. However, we are sharing the road with other people, so I always try to prepare for the worst.

Also, you do realize that there are people that go to work at odd hours when the streets are not plowed or in the middle of a snow storm. You better hope those physicians who take home calls will be able to go to work under all weather conditions......
+1

There's no excuse for that behavior.
      10-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #33
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Wait a minute. Where is the bullshit that you are giving me coming from? Hope you never see me on the road? And for what reason.

Here I'll break down what I said.

"Drove through a storm even went on the highway." Yes, I had to in order to go to a relatives which was needed and there was also plenty of others on the road since it started getting heavy randomly. I drove fine on the road, while others went 60-70 I went 50 not sure how the RWD would do.

The next thing I stated was I had some fun in a parking lot. Yea, a dead parking lot that night since everyone was home. You've never done this? If not I really don't care considering I had fun with my car while not hurting anyone.

Maybe you read my post wrong but either way do not portray me as a bad driver when I am nowhere near the level of crap that is allowed to drive on these roads in mass.

Also I do realize people drive at random hours. For me I still feel my regular setup is fine. If the ability to drive at anytime really is needed then I would get an X3. Or all wheel drive for my vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
+1

There's no excuse for that behavior.
Same goes for you, please point out where exactly did I show that I was a bad driver?
      10-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #34
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs60r View Post
I am pretty sure sports package for XI included all-season tires, not summer tires.

I have owned many AWD cars, all fair to highly modified, and never had to purchase winter tires ever.

Heck, I had been caught more than once in snow/ice on Toyo T1-S when I decided to take my Spyder VR4 out for a spin on what appeared to be sunny winter days... Well, ok that wasn't fun... It was like I had skis on, but hey those were definitely some exciting drives...
vs60r,

I have XI and have drove with the a/s tires last 2 winters and had no problem...but now I have oem 162 with oem sport rft, you think I'll be fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #35
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wait a minute. Where is the bullshit that you are giving me coming from? Hope you never see me on the road? And for what reason.

Here I'll break down what I said.

"Drove through a storm even went on the highway." Yes, I had to in order to go to a relatives which was needed and there was also plenty of others on the road since it started getting heavy randomly. I drove fine on the road, while others went 60-70 I went 50 not sure how the RWD would do.

The next thing I stated was I had some fun in a parking lot. Yea, a dead parking lot that night since everyone was home. You've never done this? If not I really don't care considering I had fun with my car while not hurting anyone.

Maybe you read my post wrong but either way do not portray me as a bad driver when I am nowhere near the level of crap that is allowed to drive on these roads in mass.

Also I do realize people drive at random hours. For me I still feel my regular setup is fine. If the ability to drive at anytime really is needed then I would get an X3. Or all wheel drive for my vehicle.
I just said that I hope I'll never see you on the road. There's no need to be defensive and calling bullshit. My reasoning is based on: 1. you clearly knows that you have a RWD car and it doesn't drive good in snow; 2. you openly states that you drive with your summer tires in a snow storm and even gets on the highway. That's enough to show that you are reckless. Please don't tell me that there are a lot of people doing the same thing on the road. There are plenty of people do drugs, but does that make doing drugs the right thing to do? Anyway, I digressed......

I drive a E55AMG (493hp stock, RWD) before I got the 335xi. I understand that that is a lot of horsepower under the control of my two hands. That's why I made sure that I had the appropriate tires so that I will be able maneuver my vehicle in severe weather.
      10-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #36
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I just said that I hope I'll never see you on the road. There's no need to be defensive and calling bullshit. My reasoning is based on: 1. you clearly knows that you have a RWD car and it doesn't drive good in snow; 2. you openly states that you drive with your summer tires in a snow storm and even gets on the highway. That's enough to show that you are reckless. Please don't tell me that there are a lot of people doing the same thing on the road. There are plenty of people do drugs, but does that make doing drugs the right thing to do? Anyway, I digressed......

I drive a E55AMG (493hp stock, RWD) before I got the 335xi. I understand that that is a lot of horsepower under the control of my two hands. That's why I made sure that I had the appropriate tires so that I will be able maneuver my vehicle in severe weather.
Again, my BMW drives perfectly. I am not under this illusion that only AWD vehicles are needed for the snow. I realize BMw has a 50/50 weight ratio and has tuned it to be able to work atleasts omewhat better in bad coniditons than before.

Also I have all seasons, not summer tires, never stated that and not sure where you got that from. Last I checked all seasons means all seasons and winter is a season so I use it all seasons.

So again, you have yet to prove why I am a bad driver. So I feel that was highly uncalled for. I really dont care but if you are going to state things like that then back it up.

Also what does your Mercedes have to do with this. Seemed like extra info that wasnt needed to get across your point.
      10-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #37
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same goes for you, please point out where exactly did I show that I was a bad driver?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...73#post1543173

I've never done that.
      10-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #38
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Again, my BMW drives perfectly. I am not under this illusion that only AWD vehicles are needed for the snow. I realize BMw has a 50/50 weight ratio and has tuned it to be able to work atleasts omewhat better in bad coniditons than before.

Also I have all seasons, not summer tires, never stated that and not sure where you got that from. Last I checked all seasons means all seasons and winter is a season so I use it all seasons.

So again, you have yet to prove why I am a bad driver. So I feel that was highly uncalled for. I really dont care but if you are going to state things like that then back it up.

Also what does your Mercedes have to do with this. Seemed like extra info that wasnt needed to get across your point.
Thanks for being defensive again. I guess people in the US really can find no fault with themselves.

Last I checked, All-Season tires drive like crap in a snow storm...... I had Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S in my old C320 when I live in Wisconsin.

The point of bringing up the E55 is to illustrate the point of being a responsible driver.
      10-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #39
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nver done what part? Drive in the middle of a storm? If so ok thats good I had to dont see how that makes me a bad driver.

If the part of me messing around in a parking lot at night. Then again ok? That makes me a bad driver how again? Especially considering I bet you have sped in your life which is more dangerous than what I did.

Quote:
Thanks for being defensive again. I guess people in the US really can find no fault with themselves.

Last I checked, All-Season tires drive like crap in a snow storm...... I had Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S in my old C320 when I live in Wisconsin.

The point of bringing up the E55 is to illustrate the point of being a responsible driver.
Well first off I am not being defensive merely pointing out how you were wrong in what you stated.

Saying people in the US can find no fault in themselves? Why was generalizing an entire nation needed. Also you are talking trash about a nation you are currently studying/working in? haha woah where is the hypocricy there!?

Maybe your all seasons sucked and granted if I got specific winter tired I'd have some better traction. But my current all seasons do fine and did fine last winter. So just because I use all seasons I am a bad driver?

Also that last bit about your E55 was still not needed but if you think so. What I do think is needed is how am I a bad driver?

If it is because you in some way thought I used summer tires then thats fine. But you have yet to say why.
      10-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #40
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Whatever makes you feel right.
      10-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #41
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nver done what part? Drive in the middle of a storm? If so ok thats good I had to dont see how that makes me a bad driver.

If the part of me messing around in a parking lot at night. Then again ok? That makes me a bad driver how again? Especially considering I bet you have sped in your life which is more dangerous than what I did.

Well first off I am not being defensive merely pointing out how you were wrong in what you stated.

Saying people in the US can find no fault in themselves? Why was generalizing an entire nation needed. Also you are talking trash about a nation you are currently studying/working in? haha woah where is the hypocricy there!?

Maybe your all seasons sucked and granted if I got specific winter tired I'd have some better traction. But my current all seasons do fine and did fine last winter. So just because I use all seasons I am a bad driver?

Also that last bit about your E55 was still not needed but if you think so. What I do think is needed is how am I a bad driver?

If it is because you in some way thought I used summer tires then thats fine. But you have yet to say why.
Whatever~ if that makes you feel better, so be it.
      10-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #42
vs60r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
vs60r,

I have XI and have drove with the a/s tires last 2 winters and had no problem...but now I have oem 162 with oem sport rft, you think I'll be fine?
I really don't see any reason to... I mean you are not going to be racing in a snow storm.

I still have OEM all-season tires on my Volvo S60R, and never had a problem driving the past two winters in the snow... Heck, like I said, I have driven ultra-high performance summer tires in snow in the past, while not fun and definitely had some interesting times, as long as you are driving safe and smart, you are ok...

That being said, my 335i will definitely have some snows on...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #43
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Dablitz and Kev,

There must be some misunderstanding on both sides….let’s chill and keep the NE section a friendly one
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #44
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Whatever makes you feel right.
Yea, totally diverting the answer I see.

Quote:
Whatever~ if that makes you feel better, so be it.
Wow, are you and djmatty twins or something. love to say the same stuff it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Dablitz and Kev,

There must be some misunderstanding on both sides….let’s chill and keep the NE section a friendly one
There is no misunderstanding on my side. From what I understand he stated I was a bad driver and one he wouldn't want to drive near on the road. Yet never stated a clear reason why. I merely asked why and he took it as a defesnive attack and then talked trash about the country he is currently in.

Also love how now both individuals want to drop it without stating yet how i am a bad driver that is an actual true reason.

I could care less though, this just makes this section a bit interesting.