E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Another dual mass flywheel puking grease and single mass conversion

08-31-2023, 07:50 AM   #89
Sendmewagons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

RuinE90d neilvan Bufalo

Coming back to this thread again. I've put some miles on my conversion now. I'm getting noise under load between 2k-3k rpms. Especially in 3rd and 4th. It's a metallic rattling sound almost like a diesel. I'm starting to think it's the single mass flywheel transmitting vibration to the transmission. Sounds pretty bad to me... I'm considering pulling it and putting a lul DMF in.

I've seen earlier mention n this thread of noise. Mostly in regards to idle. I'm fairly quiet at idle, but some slight chatter.

Is this noise under load something you guys experience as well?

I'm running febi fluid that fcp carries. Maybe a different fluid would help? I feel like most of the fluid discussion is in relation to idle noise
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #90
Jros
Private
Rep
Drives: EUDM E92 325i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
RuinE90d neilvan Bufalo

Coming back to this thread again. I've put some miles on my conversion now. I'm getting noise under load between 2k-3k rpms. Especially in 3rd and 4th. It's a metallic rattling sound almost like a diesel. I'm starting to think it's the single mass flywheel transmitting vibration to the transmission. Sounds pretty bad to me... I'm considering pulling it and putting a lul DMF in.

I've seen earlier mention n this thread of noise. Mostly in regards to idle. I'm fairly quiet at idle, but some slight chatter.

Is this noise under load something you guys experience as well?

I'm running febi fluid that fcp carries. Maybe a different fluid would help? I feel like most of the fluid discussion is in relation to idle noise
I have idle clutch-out chatter and chatter / grinding noise on downshift clutch engage with a single mass Valeo kit. Had this kit for about 2 years, noises started soon after assembly.

For the idle chatter im am 99.99% sure it is the throwout bearing, as for the grinding noise on downshift i guess that noise comes from the spinged disc clutch getting a bit hammered from the occasional drop clutch launch.

All in all, if i could come back in time, i would have used OEM dual mass flywheel and a sachs springless clutch disc to be honest...or i would have gone all out on a light weigth aluminum flywheel so with the noise i would have had some revving performance benefit too
      09-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #91
Sendmewagons
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jros View Post
I have idle clutch-out chatter and chatter / grinding noise on downshift clutch engage with a single mass Valeo kit. Had this kit for about 2 years, noises started soon after assembly.

For the idle chatter im am 99.99% sure it is the throwout bearing, as for the grinding noise on downshift i guess that noise comes from the spinged disc clutch getting a bit hammered from the occasional drop clutch launch.

All in all, if i could come back in time, i would have used OEM dual mass flywheel and a sachs springless clutch disc to be honest...or i would have gone all out on a light weigth aluminum flywheel so with the noise i would have had some revving performance benefit too
Yeah I have a small amount of idle chatter but it's not too bad. I haven't raised the idle yet either.

The noise I'm talking about is a rattling sound under load, 2000-2500 rpm. Especially up hill, and especially 4th gear. Which I do on my way home every day for a good 1/2 mile. I was thinking it could.be pinging the other day...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #92
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Once underway I have no odd noises at all. If I push the clutch in at idle, any gear rattles go away as the transmission spins down. I've been satisfied enough with the replacement that I've never had to second-guess its use.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:11 AM   #93
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendmewagons View Post
Yeah I have a small amount of idle chatter but it's not too bad. I haven't raised the idle yet either.

The noise I'm talking about is a rattling sound under load, 2000-2500 rpm. Especially up hill, and especially 4th gear. Which I do on my way home every day for a good 1/2 mile. I was thinking it could.be pinging the other day...
I have the same noise on mine, feels fine to drive so I've just been ignoring it because I don't think its worth tearing things down to try and fix it.
Appreciate 0