E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > what the HELL is going on with my dash? (VIDEO of issue)

02-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
rcb5588
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

what the HELL is going on with my dash? (VIDEO of issue)

Looking to see if anyone has any advice on this...

Quick background - just started to get this problem today. The first thing that happened was I got the TPMS indicator (flashing exclamation point in the circle), followed by it saying "INACTIVE". Took it out for a 10 minute drive and then the dash, gauges and all lights started going crazy (as you can see in the video). Occasionally has a tough time starting. Doing other weird things like sometimes when the car is shut off the illuminating orange lights behind the gauges will stay on, even though the headlights are off. Also it will sometimes display the mileage tamper dot.

A couple other things...

About 4 days ago I had brand new tires put on (thought maybe this is what was causing the TPMS light at first).
I have an eonon head unit installed (which is what is beeping in the background of the video since these units don't have the usual BMW gong/chime sound).
I used my code reader and got a code of U1126.
I happened to be in the process of installing a backup camera today while I got the TPMS code. I was splicing the power for the wire into the 12v from the reverse lights (obviously with the car off). Not sure if this happened to be some sort of cause for this.

Questions...
Anyone have this same experience?
Any chance that maybe the battery is dying and coincidentally happened to happen at the same time I was working with the 12v?
Could a bad fuse cause something like this (seems weird to me since lights are working on the dash, just everything is screwy, but who knows).

I should mention, the car runs perfectly fine and normal despite the lights and gauges going nuts.

Here is a 30 second video of what is currently happening...

Thank you in advance!

Ross
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

you need to monitor the voltage, but yes, a crappy battery or alternator will cause all manner of system faults in these cars.

if the alternator and battery are up to snuff, I'd say it appears you are suffereing some sort of bus communication failure. Either caused by a wiring issue, or by a module failing and then taking down the bus.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
KT87
Rep
Drives: 328XI

I had the same exact problem a few months ago on my 328XI LCI. It happened randomly the first two days. I first checked the battery and alternator and both where fine. I then disconnected the battery for a few minutes but still had the issue. So, I removed the instrument cluster and unplugged it for a few minutes then plugged it back in and the only thing that came on afterwards was the TPMS inactive light a few times over the next month as well as the SoS light (radio didn't work but only happened once). I brought it to and Indy shop who said its most likely a bad RDC module and the Bluetooth module. Both modules are in the trunk and are known to be easily exposed to water based on where they are located in the trunk. However, I only ended up getting the TPMS Inactive light a few more times and now its been over a month and its back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

As others mentioned, clearly electrical. Possibly failing module. Check the trunk for water. Definitely check in the trunk in the space below your left tail light. Open panel, check for water.
      02-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb5588 View Post
... The first thing that happened was I got the TPMS indicator (flashing exclamation point in the circle), followed by it saying "INACTIVE". Took it out for a 10 minute drive and then the dash, gauges and all lights started going crazy...I used my code reader and got a code of U1126.
Hi Ross, Welcome to the Forum!

First thing to be concerned about is "Overvoltage" or Alternator output voltage > 15.0V. That can damage Control Modules, and it causes different modules (DSC, KOMBI, TPMS) to act erratically, hence the "light show" on your dash, and the "U-code" or fault related to BUS communication between modules.

The best way to diagnose the issue is to activate "Hidden Menu 9.00" on your instrument cluster, so that you can see System Voltage while you drive, per this link:
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

If you see voltage >15.0V, do NOT continue to drive the vehicle, as you may damage control modules. If you DO have "Overvoltage", a defective Voltage Regulator in the back of the alternator is the most likely cause, and that is something you can change yourself, part cost ~ $45.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
ian3924
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i 6MT

I had this same issue dont turn on the car as it could mess up the frm, in my case I had to get mine recoded. Remove the tpms module in the back fender liner of passenger rear tire. It will look like this and your tpms light will remain on untill its replaced, this solved my issue although my car wasn't beeping like it was going to blow up.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...0aAkWTEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
rcb5588
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much to everyone who responded!

So this morning I went back out to see if anything had changed overnight. When I turned it on the dash showed the service engine, 4x4, brake, traction control and TPMS lights.

However, a turn of the steering wheel all the way to the left and then right was able to remove the brake, 4x4 and traction control warnings.

I went into the hidden menu and got 12v with the car in the on position. I drove the car around the block and averaged 14.6 to 14.7v throughout. I didn't see it go over 15v at all.

Turning the car off and then back on again and my service engine light went off.

So it really looks like I'm stuck on this TPMS issue. When I turn the car on it's blinking (sometimes it will stop blinking and stay solid). When I click through to "reset", it won't allow me, it just says "inactive".

As I had mentioned in my first post, I just had brand new tires put on. It was done by Town Fair Tire (a New England chain). They ran great for 3 days before this started happening. Is it possible something could have happened to it while they were putting on the tires? They state on their website that they can reset sensors - https://www.townfairtire.com/informa...em/index.shtml

Also, a side note, when I first started my car this morning my radio was completely dead (this is one of the Eonon head units). I checked the fuse in the back of the head unit and it's fine. I still have the OEM radio so I plugged that back in and it worked fine. Weird. Anyone have any thought on that?

By the way, I forgot to mention in my first post but the car is a 2011 328i

Here is a current video on the TPMS issue... Looking forward to hearing any thoughts. Thanks again for being so helpful!

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
With the weirdness you saw plus the dead aftermarket radio, my guess would be that there was an overvoltage for a bit, and the radio and RDC modules died.

How old is your battery? If it is original, it might be good to start watching for replacement battery deals.

Right now it is running properly, but keep an eye on it and maybe think about swapping the voltage regulator just in case? I dunno.

Reading it with ISTA would give us lots of info, since it could both scan for the TPMS/RDC module and also look for stored codes for over/undervoltage

I have a spare RDC module if you want to try swapping... not sure where in Mass you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
rcb5588
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
With the weirdness you saw plus the dead aftermarket radio, my guess would be that there was an overvoltage for a bit, and the radio and RDC modules died.

How old is your battery? If it is original, it might be good to start watching for replacement battery deals.

Right now it is running properly, but keep an eye on it and maybe think about swapping the voltage regulator just in case? I dunno.

Reading it with ISTA would give us lots of info, since it could both scan for the TPMS/RDC module and also look for stored codes for over/undervoltage

I have a spare RDC module if you want to try swapping... not sure where in Mass you are.
Thank you, I really appreciate that offer and might take you up on that! I actually just moved from Beverly to southern NH, but I work in Woburn, so I'm still in Mass most days.

One more quick update on this..

As I mentioned yesterday, the only issue was the TPMS light staying on and the dead aftermarket radio. I ended up driving about 10 miles yesterday evening and it drove fine.

So this morning I go to start the car up and it's back to its original issues from the other day (gauges moving on their own and multiple lights on), BUT the aftermarket radio is working again. Totally bizarre. However, the radio is not turning off when I shut the car off and open the driver side door (I have to manually power it off).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Ross
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
hmmmm.

maybe yank out the aftermarket radio and see if it stops freaking out? i have an aftermarket trailer hitch and the control module for it shorted out my k-can bus... i don't really trust anything aftermarket at this point
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
prbs231
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i x

I had same issue, RDC sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
53N30W
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328

I had something similar awhile back . Car went into full FU mode. It was a bad alternator. Go Figure
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I had to pull my RDC module recently because it was corroded, but it did not cause crazy issues.

it did solve about 5 other modules kcan line faults when it went away. One of them was the KOMBI.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #14
ggodjjdogg
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 BMW 11, 244 88, 245 91

Same issue RDC module fixed dash lights

Sadly I still had the inactive tire pressure system error. 291 at the dealer to erase that. Not sure why the schwaben scanner did not erase them completely. Still a movie with all this scanning
Appreciate 0