E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW 335i E92 Transmission Fault

10-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
Frosty Kush
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I 2008 E92

Exclamation BMW 335i E92 Transmission Fault

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a BMW 335I 2008 E92, and maybe a few months into owning the vehicle I've ran into some issues, I've phoned countless of mechanics and even contacted the BMW service asking for information but I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions and not really getting anywhere with my issue, well I'll try and explain briefly from A to Z exactly what I've been experiencing and hoping some of you might have some answers or ideas on what I should do next.

So basically the first thing that happened after of few months of driving the car a "Transmission Malfunction" message popped up on my dash, when I started to lose gears my transmission is "Semi-Automatic" just to clarify. I would hit 2K rmps when I would lose my gears, I brought it to a local garage in my town to discover that my clutch has gone bad and that it would need to be replaced what I've discovered is that it's cheaper to get a whole 2nd hand transmission than a new clutch pack including the labour. so basically I went searching for a transmission when I came across a breaker from England which gives warranty for most of their 2nd hand parts and I got a transmission for £475 + £40 postage with 90 days warranty, the transmission came a few days later and got it fitted by my local mechanic the same day. I went to the garage to collect the car spoke to my mechanic just to clarify how things went with the fitment as per him everything went accordingly, BMW certified transmission fluid has been put into the transmission which cost him £60, and the old filter "transmission sump" is what they call it I'm assuming was used of my old transmission. we got into the car we maybe drove it a few miles around the town hitting maximum 50mph when everything seemed fine, I took the car home and maybe after a few hours I had to drive to another town which involved driving on the motorway. as I got on the motorway I hit 100mph when I thought I'll give it a bit of gas and went up to 120/130mhp when suddenly I got a "Transmission fault" message come up on my dash. When I seen the message I freaked out straight away, stopping the car on a slip road, when I came to a full stop I relized that my dash still showed me that I was in 6th gear while I was in a full stop. I put the car out and put the car on aqain when the fault went away, I slowly started to move away from the slip road when I started to feel the gears were not as smooth as they were before and it would change the gear before it even hitting 2k rpm while it would slightly jump about but the car would still be drivable. I drove the car back straight away before I even made it back to the house the "Transmission fault" came up on the dash again, resulting the car to get stuck in 5th gear this time. it seems that once the fault comes up it gets stuck in the current gear. when I brought the car back to the house I contacted my mechanic who responded straight away, came to my house and did a diagnostic, from what was happening realistically my gears were getting stuck, diagnosis showed that the gears are slipping. a strange gurgling noise started coming from the transmission and basically this is were I'm at. I've tried countless different threads and just people in general for some information to understand what could be causing this issue but I have received a lot of different opinions. I'm more less sure that the transmission that I bought is in good condition as I contacted the seller they have advised that the transmission was removed from a fully working vehicle before it being shipped to me. also it came with 90 days warranty so I really don't see a reasons in them selling me a faulty transmission.

Opinions I've received from different people Mechanics/BMW owners.

1. The transmission was not coded using "NCS Expert" apparently replacing the transmission some type of VIN codes need to match in order for it to work properly. But I've been getting mixed opinions, some say it had to be coded 100%, others say if it worked fine to start with it shouldn't need coding. my mechanic specially said it doesn't need any coding at all, as long as it's put in properly and calibrated.

2. Faulty transmission, but the evidence from the seller shows that it's unlikely the transmission was faulty.

3. My mechanic used normal BMW certified transmission fluid which cost him £60. When he contacted the seller for the transmission the first question they asked is what fluid was used, he advised that the fluid used was the specific the high end stuff which costs around £208 without VAT. Then he rang BMW explained the situation the first question they asked is what fluid was used.

Conclusion
So at the moment I'm trying to think what should I do next, rather than blowing money on things and hoping for the best. I've ordered the top shelf transmission fluid, ordered a new filter which goes under the transmission that acts as a sump, and I'm gonna replace the mechatronics sleeve. I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me some feedback if it's the right move at this stage, or should I do something else. I've did my research all over the web couldn't find anything specific related to my issue, but I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible, to maybe pin point where it would be best to go from here.

Thank you ladies & gentleman for reading, awaiting for your response
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Kush View Post
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a BMW 335I 2008 E92, and maybe a few months into owning the vehicle I've ran into some issues, I've phoned countless of mechanics and even contacted the BMW service asking for information but I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions and not really getting anywhere with my issue, well I'll try and explain briefly from A to Z exactly what I've been experiencing and hoping some of you might have some answers or ideas on what I should do next.

So basically the first thing that happened after of few months of driving the car a "Transmission Malfunction" message popped up on my dash, when I started to lose gears my transmission is "Semi-Automatic" just to clarify. I would hit 2K rmps when I would lose my gears, I brought it to a local garage in my town to discover that my clutch has gone bad and that it would need to be replaced what I've discovered is that it's cheaper to get a whole 2nd hand transmission than a new clutch pack including the labour. so basically I went searching for a transmission when I came across a breaker from England which gives warranty for most of their 2nd hand parts and I got a transmission for £475 + £40 postage with 90 days warranty, the transmission came a few days later and got it fitted by my local mechanic the same day. I went to the garage to collect the car spoke to my mechanic just to clarify how things went with the fitment as per him everything went accordingly, BMW certified transmission fluid has been put into the transmission which cost him £60, and the old filter "transmission sump" is what they call it I'm assuming was used of my old transmission. we got into the car we maybe drove it a few miles around the town hitting maximum 50mph when everything seemed fine, I took the car home and maybe after a few hours I had to drive to another town which involved driving on the motorway. as I got on the motorway I hit 100mph when I thought I'll give it a bit of gas and went up to 120/130mhp when suddenly I got a "Transmission fault" message come up on my dash. When I seen the message I freaked out straight away, stopping the car on a slip road, when I came to a full stop I relized that my dash still showed me that I was in 6th gear while I was in a full stop. I put the car out and put the car on aqain when the fault went away, I slowly started to move away from the slip road when I started to feel the gears were not as smooth as they were before and it would change the gear before it even hitting 2k rpm while it would slightly jump about but the car would still be drivable. I drove the car back straight away before I even made it back to the house the "Transmission fault" came up on the dash again, resulting the car to get stuck in 5th gear this time. it seems that once the fault comes up it gets stuck in the current gear. when I brought the car back to the house I contacted my mechanic who responded straight away, came to my house and did a diagnostic, from what was happening realistically my gears were getting stuck, diagnosis showed that the gears are slipping. a strange gurgling noise started coming from the transmission and basically this is were I'm at. I've tried countless different threads and just people in general for some information to understand what could be causing this issue but I have received a lot of different opinions. I'm more less sure that the transmission that I bought is in good condition as I contacted the seller they have advised that the transmission was removed from a fully working vehicle before it being shipped to me. also it came with 90 days warranty so I really don't see a reasons in them selling me a faulty transmission.

Opinions I've received from different people Mechanics/BMW owners.

1. The transmission was not coded using "NCS Expert" apparently replacing the transmission some type of VIN codes need to match in order for it to work properly. But I've been getting mixed opinions, some say it had to be coded 100%, others say if it worked fine to start with it shouldn't need coding. my mechanic specially said it doesn't need any coding at all, as long as it's put in properly and calibrated.

2. Faulty transmission, but the evidence from the seller shows that it's unlikely the transmission was faulty.

3. My mechanic used normal BMW certified transmission fluid which cost him £60. When he contacted the seller for the transmission the first question they asked is what fluid was used, he advised that the fluid used was the specific the high end stuff which costs around £208 without VAT. Then he rang BMW explained the situation the first question they asked is what fluid was used.

Conclusion
So at the moment I'm trying to think what should I do next, rather than blowing money on things and hoping for the best. I've ordered the top shelf transmission fluid, ordered a new filter which goes under the transmission that acts as a sump, and I'm gonna replace the mechatronics sleeve. I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me some feedback if it's the right move at this stage, or should I do something else. I've did my research all over the web couldn't find anything specific related to my issue, but I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible, to maybe pin point where it would be best to go from here.

Thank you ladies & gentleman for reading, awaiting for your response
Ok.

What vehicle was the new transmission from? Do you have part numbers for the new and old?

You really need to read the fault codes from your car.

Buy a wireless obd adapter and Carly. It's invaluable for a BMW Owner.

It's likely the transmission will need programming with the VIN from your car and then recoded to your vehicle order. Currently the transmission still believes it's installed in the old car....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #3
Frosty Kush
Rep

I'm not sure exactly what vehicle it's from, but the fitment is perfect as per the mechanic. And the only fault that comes up is "gear slippage" some type of sensor. I have an OBD cable that came with the car and a separate phone which actually has the iCarly software on the phone, gonna try and run it once I get back. But you think that coding the transmission would get rid of the noise that's coming from the transmission very odd noise like something is gurgling. And I thought I'd buy the NCS Expert software for £105, and install it myself using a YouTube guide. seems like it's the most cost effective at the moment as I don't want to drive the car and damage the transmission when already it sounds bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what vehicle it's from, but the fitment is perfect as per the mechanic. And the only fault that comes up is "gear slippage" some type of sensor. I have an OBD cable that came with the car and a separate phone which actually has the iCarly software on the phone, gonna try and run it once I get back. But you think that coding the transmission would get rid of the noise that's coming from the transmission very odd noise like something is gurgling. And I thought I'd buy the NCS Expert software for £105, and install it myself using a YouTube guide. seems like it's the most cost effective at the moment as I don't want to drive the car and damage the transmission when already it sounds bad.
Ok, first things first.

Return what you just bought. NCSExpert is part of BMW standard tools. It should not be getting sold. The software is owned by BMW AG however was leaked many years ago and is now widely available FREE all over the internet.

Secondly,

'gear slippage' is not a fault code. We need the exact codes returned by the ECU. This is always the first step when diagnosing problems with modern BMW's.
Fire up Carly with your cable ASAP and let us know.

Thirdly,

Figment May be perfect. But there are many different options within the same hardware. We're adaptions reset when the unit was installed?

Just trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Also, just re reading your post.

When the mechanic changed the fluid filter/pan he should have replaced it with a new one as per the manufacturers instructions. (Not saying this is your problem). Also, the fluid should be completely 'flushed' and not just drained and changed. If you disturb things in there by changing the fluid you can end up messing up the transmission. This should be done by a professional really.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Frosty Kush
Rep

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will be home in a few hours, I'll connect the phone and scan for any faults, I'll send the codes right away. And I haven't bought the NCS Expert yet, thanks for letting me know I can get it for free, will do that also when I get back. When you say the adaptions were reset when it was installed what do you mean by that?) =The mechanic has actually asked to bring the car in this evening so he can leave it to drain over the next 2 days, once he's back on Monday he can put the high end ZF transmission fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Frosty Kush
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

When the mechanic changed the fluid filter/pan he should have replaced it with a new one as per the manufacturers instructions. (Not saying this is your problem). Also, the fluid should be completely 'flushed' and not just drained and changed. If you disturb things in there by changing the fluid you can end up messing up the transmission. This should be done by a professional really.
I've attached the diagnostics report, can you please review it, thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Diagnostics Report.pdf (210.8 KB, 334 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've attached the diagnostics report, can you please review it, thanks in advance!
Those codes are very symptomatic of the mechatronic sleeve not being fitted corrected. Check it's pushed in.

Here is a replacement diy guide to help you out as a reference point:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1300744581

Also check the shift linkage wiring.

The transmission also has a coding fault. You should write the correct VIN to your transmission and default code it. Then clear fault codes
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:51 AM   #9
Frosty Kush
Rep

Quote:
Those codes are very symptomatic of the mechatronic sleeve not being fitted corrected. Check it's pushed in.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...4&d=1300744581

The transmission also has a coding fault. You should write the correct VIN to your transmission and default code it. Then clear fault codes
Thanks for your reply. I've been guided by some people to buy the XHP Flashtool and reprogram the TCU. I know the NCS Expert is leaked all over the web I actually got a chance to download the software Yesterday, but I've been advised that this system is extremely complex to use, not knowing what you're doing exactly could result in more issues. So I'm thinking what way should I go around this. Maybe there are specific guides on how to reprogram the TCU using NCS Expert rather than spending £105 for XHP Flashtool software which has preset settings allowing users like me to simply connect and install. I did try to find a YouTube guides but seems like there arent any.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:29 AM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1300744581

Thanks for your reply. I've been guided by some people to buy the XHP Flashtool and reprogram the TCU. I know the NCS Expert is leaked all over the web I actually got a chance to download the software Yesterday, but I've been advised that this system is extremely complex to use, not knowing what you're doing exactly could result in more issues. So I'm thinking what way should I go around this. Maybe there are specific guides on how to reprogram the TCU using NCS Expert rather than spending £105 for XHP Flashtool software which has preset settings allowing users like me to simply connect and install. I did try to find a YouTube guides but seems like there arent any.
Looking at your codes I'd suggest looking at the mechatronic sleeve first before buying anything else.

I guess the plug isn't seated correctly in the mechatronics or pin is bent. It could also be a failed unit.

The xhpflashtool is a good investment though.
Appreciate 0