E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV? (NO POLITICS)

04-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #1981
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
A. One of my current cars (courtesy) is a plug in hybrid (330e),the ride quality is nice and the electric miles are quiet.
B. I've driven the model 3 and y. Ride quality is not my type. Too much road noise and transmitted noise into cabin from imperfect road surfaces.
C I've travelled in a friends model s for around 2000 miles. Ride quality ok but interior is mondeo/skoda level.
D. When I step into my US built German SUV's all is forgotten. Enough power Enough convenience Enough comfort Enough space etc. The only thing lacking is that I pay more per mile and in a straight line I'm.slower but those really don't matter to me at the moment.
The biggest worry is the write off rate of ev and that no one wants to buy a second hand one and dealers don't wish to stock used ones etc.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502954.50
      04-23-2023, 07:35 PM   #1982
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Governments in Australia are now looking at new taxs for EVs, to combat their huge revenue drops on fuel taxs. Fucken crazy.
Appreciate 1
m2ss2062.00
      04-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #1983
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
2035 on the move!!!!

Big updates coming soon!!! Can't wait for 2028-2030!

The holy fuck it's really happening moment will soon come!

Let's go EV POWER!
      04-23-2023, 08:50 PM   #1984
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
talk about flying over someones head...lmao

do you really think anybody on this board is going to out live ICE cars built today??
Do you think all the ICE cars are headed to the crusher on Jan 1, 2035?

YOU will never be forced to buy an EV in your lifetime, but someday you may finally realize they aren't the devil and actually own one

You seem to be more worried about future generations right to buy new CO2 spewing ICE vehicles than the air they breath and the planet they will inherent
Come on SoCal, please, you drive a V8 Jeep Wrangler and a 2-seat Cayman. If anyone is unconcerned about the air we breathe and the planet it's you. You admitted you bought the Tesla for the acceleration and not the Green. It's fine to argue, just be consistent.
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2023, 08:50 PM   #1985
Ctothej
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport, BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Governments in Australia are now looking at new taxs for EVs, to combat their huge revenue drops on fuel taxs. Fucken crazy.
Was always coming..
Appreciate 2
aerobod4076.50
      04-23-2023, 09:02 PM   #1986
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Come on SoCal, please, you drive a V8 Jeep Wrangler and a 2-seat Cayman. If anyone is unconcerned about the air we breathe and the planet it's you. You admitted you bought the Tesla for the acceleration and not the Green. It's fine to argue, just be consistent.
Rule for thee, not for me

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #1987
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
I wish it was a 392....it's just a 2.0T

Just cuz I have ICE cars doesnt mean I'm naive to the fact that EV's are the future and much better for the planet at the end of the day...I have kids and hope to have grandkids someday....would hope they will have same beautiful planet that we got to enjoy

I will be fine if those are the last ICE vehicles I ever own....to be honest, I hardly ever even drive the 718 anymore and will probably sell it soon...the M3P has been an eye opener for me and has completely jaded my senses of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the gas pedal and not going to gas stations with these gas prices is just a bonus at this point
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:51 PM   #1988
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

"Enjoy the same beautiful planet we got to enjoy"

I just don't understand verde priorities, or maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Hey, y'all check boxes for it. Rock on!
Attached Images

Patton2502954.50
      04-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #1989
Socal_R8
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

I just don't understand verde priorities, or maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Hey, y'all check boxes for it. Rock on!
Yeah, the homelessness issue is a whole nother issue and I'm sorry if that is the world you see everyday, but has nothing to do with antartica warming at an alarming rate...burying our heads in the sand and carrying on like bussiness as usual isnt going to help

Over the course of the Earth's 4.5-billion-year history, the climate has changed a lot. This is true. But the rapid warming we're seeing now can't be explained by natural cycles of warming and cooling. The kind of changes that would normally happen over hundreds of thousands of years are happening in decades.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3913.50
      04-24-2023, 12:57 AM   #1990
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
2035 on the move!!!!

Big updates coming soon!!! Can't wait for 2028-2030!

The holy fuck it's really happening moment will soon come!

Let's go EV POWER!
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Appreciate 1
Patton2502954.50
      04-24-2023, 02:34 AM   #1991
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
I somehow feel that planet earth and mother nature decides the fate of inhabitants and not vice versa.
A mega volcanic eruption and a nuclear winter that follows can easily cool things tremendously. Plus solar panels won't work in that scenario if we become dependent on them alone etc.
The Chinese car making industrial machine can make a killing while the west plunges into a recession.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick65550.50
Patton2502954.50
Efthreeoh18498.00
      04-24-2023, 03:53 AM   #1992
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

We had something like that going on in Park Lane,central London and they were cleared by enforcement officers from the council.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 04:30 AM   #1993
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Who's not to say they can't "control" you with the ICE cars of today?

Let's say EV was never happening, and they kept on improving and evolving ICE, you don't think they can't control you then?

With the new cars being able to receive OTA updates, i'm sure that update can trigger some sort of fault into your car if that's what they want to do.

And even if you are correct about all that, i honestly don't care. You're thinking of a scenario that's so out there and something you wouldn't be able to change, TODAY, even if you were right about the future.

Let's go EV!
      04-24-2023, 05:20 AM   #1994
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
talk about not getting it...you are absolutely clueless about anything EV yet you spew hyperbolic nonsense nonstop on here like about how they will never make it to 2035 becuese they cant fill up in 5 minutes....

I'm done...

Mark Twain would even say today.. 'twas a moment of madness at the time when some fat-so in a house by the river said first 2040,then 2035 then 2030 that fuel vehicular sales would cease'.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN14069.50
Efthreeoh18498.00
      04-24-2023, 06:00 AM   #1995
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
No one wants electric cars, but automakers are making then because world governments are pushing them to do so. A paperweight disposal car in 5 years
150% accurate
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4792.50
      04-24-2023, 06:15 AM   #1996
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Just cuz I have ICE cars doesnt mean I'm naive to the fact that EV's are the future and much better for the planet at the end of the day...I have kids and hope to have grandkids someday....would hope they will have same beautiful planet that we got to enjoy

I will be fine if those are the last ICE vehicles I ever own....to be honest, I hardly ever even drive the 718 anymore and will probably sell it soon...the M3P has been an eye opener for me and has completely jaded my senses of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the gas pedal and not going to gas stations with these gas prices is just a bonus at this point
Here's the thing right now, are EV's really any better for the planet? "Leading scientists" are in agreement, except there isn't really any room for public debate on the matter. From what I can see and using common sense, the mining of rare earth minerals isn't exactly green, nor is it particularly humane for the folks doing most of the digging. Then the processing, and manufacture of the batteries is somewhat questionable in its green-ness. So much of the production of electricity is still using coal fired plants. The next not so green hurtle to overcome will be a doubling or more of electricity production and the infrastructure to deliver it.

I don't think there is much of a market nor will there be for used EV's (I could be wrong), but I don't see much of a market for used electronics, and frankly ICE is becoming very efficient with MPG, so I am of the view that EV's and more likely PHEV's have a place but the notion that a wholesale banning of ICE is a bit short sighted, and is putting the cart before the horse.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick65550.50
Efthreeoh18498.00
      04-24-2023, 06:23 AM   #1997
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Apologies, I thought in your Tahoe post it was a 392. Regardless it's still a flying brick and gets 20 MPG (my 2.3L Ecoboost Bronco is averaging 20.4 lifetime so far). But the point remains, until your last post, you had not pulled the Green card.

I never disrespect anyone for the car they choose to own, but when people who drive ICE clamor on about globalwarmingclimatechange, then I have to call them on it. Pet peeve of mine.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502954.50
      04-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #1998
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the homelessness issue is a whole nother issue and I'm sorry if that is the world you see everyday, but has nothing to do with antartica warming at an alarming rate...burying our heads in the sand and carrying on like bussiness as usual isnt going to help

Over the course of the Earth's 4.5-billion-year history, the climate has changed a lot. This is true. But the rapid warming we're seeing now can't be explained by natural cycles of warming and cooling. The kind of changes that would normally happen over hundreds of thousands of years are happening in decades.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
My point/position, which I feel is basic common sense, is the planet has a cart full of care issues right in front of us. They're not predictions, they are here. Billions for their fix and things are statistically worse. So I'm supposed to jump on board the thought of the same people, regarding a massively larger project such as EV adaptation, to be in charge?

Follow the money because it is behind all of the above. It's sickening.

Take care.
M5Rick65550.50
Cos270608.50
kyriian935.50
      04-24-2023, 07:40 AM   #1999
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I somehow feel that planet earth and mother nature decides the fate of inhabitants and not vice versa.
A mega volcanic eruption and a nuclear winter that follows can easily cool things tremendously. Plus solar panels won't work in that scenario if we become dependent on them alone etc.
The Chinese car making industrial machine can make a killing while the west plunges into a recession.
This ^. This was the general scientific understanding based on geological and anthropological data up until the proliferation of the internet as the societal data source.

I've actually read on the internet where the imbalanced distribution of humans on the planet is the cause of the Milankovitch Cycles, which causes real climate change. LOL.

Once Yellowstone lights off, whoever is around at that time will then quickly and fully understand the Earth dictates what life lives on it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-24-2023 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick65550.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN14069.50
      04-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #2000
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^
Not nearly the same power but Juan de Fuca will open a few eyes too.
      04-24-2023, 08:04 AM   #2001
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
This ^. This was the general scientific understanding based on geological and anthropological data up until the proliferation of the internet as the societal data source.

I've actually read on the internet where the imbalanced distribution of humans on the planet is the cause of the Milankovitch Cycles, which causes real climate change. LOL.

Once Yellowstone lights off, whoever is around at that time will then quickly and fully understand the Earth dictates what life lives on it.
And the alarmists will blame it on climate change and GHG emissions.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #2002
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
My point/position, which I feel is basic common sense, is the planet has a cart full of care issues right in front of us. They're not predictions, they are here. Billions for their fix and things are statistically worse. So I'm supposed to jump on board the thought of the same people, regarding a massively larger project such as EV adaptation, to be in charge?

Follow the money because it is behind all of the above. It's sickening.

Take care.
through all the politics, covid mandates, taxes, irs, abortion, racism, gun laws whatever

what i bolded above is ALWAYS the elephant in the room and MOST don't want to understand or believe it.

its ALWAYS about the money
Appreciate 2
Patton2502954.50
KRS_SN14069.50