E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2023, 12:57 AM   #2003
R N M
Colonel
R N M's Avatar
3633
Rep
2,051
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
2035 on the move!!!!

Big updates coming soon!!! Can't wait for 2028-2030!

The holy fuck it's really happening moment will soon come!

Let's go EV POWER!
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      04-24-2023, 02:34 AM   #2004
KRS_SN
Major General
KRS_SN's Avatar
United Kingdom
13484
Rep
5,197
Posts

Drives: IX,G07
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I somehow feel that planet earth and mother nature decides the fate of inhabitants and not vice versa.
A mega volcanic eruption and a nuclear winter that follows can easily cool things tremendously. Plus solar panels won't work in that scenario if we become dependent on them alone etc.
The Chinese car making industrial machine can make a killing while the west plunges into a recession.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick59875.50
Patton2502939.50
Efthreeoh17267.00
      04-24-2023, 03:53 AM   #2005
M5Rick
General
M5Rick's Avatar
59876
Rep
19,518
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
"Enjoy the same beautiful planet we got to enjoy"

I just don't understand verde priorities, or maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Hey, y'all check boxes for it. Rock on!
We had something like that going on in Park Lane,central London and they were cleared by enforcement officers from the council.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 04:30 AM   #2006
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2328
Rep
3,021
Posts

Drives: 12 plaids on order
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Tesla Land

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Who's not to say they can't "control" you with the ICE cars of today?

Let's say EV was never happening, and they kept on improving and evolving ICE, you don't think they can't control you then?

With the new cars being able to receive OTA updates, i'm sure that update can trigger some sort of fault into your car if that's what they want to do.

And even if you are correct about all that, i honestly don't care. You're thinking of a scenario that's so out there and something you wouldn't be able to change, TODAY, even if you were right about the future.

Let's go EV!
__________________
2035 on the move!!! lmaooooooooo
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 05:20 AM   #2007
M5Rick
General
M5Rick's Avatar
59876
Rep
19,518
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
talk about not getting it...you are absolutely clueless about anything EV yet you spew hyperbolic nonsense nonstop on here like about how they will never make it to 2035 becuese they cant fill up in 5 minutes....

I'm done...

Mark Twain would even say today.. 'twas a moment of madness at the time when some fat-so in a house by the river said first 2040,then 2035 then 2030 that fuel vehicular sales would cease'.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13483.50
Efthreeoh17267.00
      04-24-2023, 06:00 AM   #2008
M Division
Captain
M Division's Avatar
1196
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
No one wants electric cars, but automakers are making then because world governments are pushing them to do so. A paperweight disposal car in 5 years
150% accurate
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4685.50
      04-24-2023, 06:15 AM   #2009
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
18939
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
I wish it was a 392....it's just a 2.0T

Just cuz I have ICE cars doesnt mean I'm naive to the fact that EV's are the future and much better for the planet at the end of the day...I have kids and hope to have grandkids someday....would hope they will have same beautiful planet that we got to enjoy

I will be fine if those are the last ICE vehicles I ever own....to be honest, I hardly ever even drive the 718 anymore and will probably sell it soon...the M3P has been an eye opener for me and has completely jaded my senses of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the gas pedal and not going to gas stations with these gas prices is just a bonus at this point
Here's the thing right now, are EV's really any better for the planet? "Leading scientists" are in agreement, except there isn't really any room for public debate on the matter. From what I can see and using common sense, the mining of rare earth minerals isn't exactly green, nor is it particularly humane for the folks doing most of the digging. Then the processing, and manufacture of the batteries is somewhat questionable in its green-ness. So much of the production of electricity is still using coal fired plants. The next not so green hurtle to overcome will be a doubling or more of electricity production and the infrastructure to deliver it.

I don't think there is much of a market nor will there be for used EV's (I could be wrong), but I don't see much of a market for used electronics, and frankly ICE is becoming very efficient with MPG, so I am of the view that EV's and more likely PHEV's have a place but the notion that a wholesale banning of ICE is a bit short sighted, and is putting the cart before the horse.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick59875.50
Efthreeoh17267.00
      04-24-2023, 06:23 AM   #2010
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17267
Rep
18,719
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
I wish it was a 392....it's just a 2.0T

Just cuz I have ICE cars doesnt mean I'm naive to the fact that EV's are the future and much better for the planet at the end of the day...I have kids and hope to have grandkids someday....would hope they will have same beautiful planet that we got to enjoy

I will be fine if those are the last ICE vehicles I ever own....to be honest, I hardly ever even drive the 718 anymore and will probably sell it soon...the M3P has been an eye opener for me and has completely jaded my senses of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the gas pedal and not going to gas stations with these gas prices is just a bonus at this point
Apologies, I thought in your Tahoe post it was a 392. Regardless it's still a flying brick and gets 20 MPG (my 2.3L Ecoboost Bronco is averaging 20.4 lifetime so far). But the point remains, until your last post, you had not pulled the Green card.

I never disrespect anyone for the car they choose to own, but when people who drive ICE clamor on about globalwarmingclimatechange, then I have to call them on it. Pet peeve of mine.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
      04-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #2011
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
10199
Rep
14,397
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Yeah, the homelessness issue is a whole nother issue and I'm sorry if that is the world you see everyday, but has nothing to do with antartica warming at an alarming rate...burying our heads in the sand and carrying on like bussiness as usual isnt going to help

Over the course of the Earth's 4.5-billion-year history, the climate has changed a lot. This is true. But the rapid warming we're seeing now can't be explained by natural cycles of warming and cooling. The kind of changes that would normally happen over hundreds of thousands of years are happening in decades.


https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
My point/position, which I feel is basic common sense, is the planet has a cart full of care issues right in front of us. They're not predictions, they are here. Billions for their fix and things are statistically worse. So I'm supposed to jump on board the thought of the same people, regarding a massively larger project such as EV adaptation, to be in charge?

Follow the money because it is behind all of the above. It's sickening.

Take care.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 6
Efthreeoh17267.00
M5Rick59875.50
Cos270608.50
kyriian883.50
      04-24-2023, 07:40 AM   #2012
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17267
Rep
18,719
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I somehow feel that planet earth and mother nature decides the fate of inhabitants and not vice versa.
A mega volcanic eruption and a nuclear winter that follows can easily cool things tremendously. Plus solar panels won't work in that scenario if we become dependent on them alone etc.
The Chinese car making industrial machine can make a killing while the west plunges into a recession.
This ^. This was the general scientific understanding based on geological and anthropological data up until the proliferation of the internet as the societal data source.

I've actually read on the internet where the imbalanced distribution of humans on the planet is the cause of the Milankovitch Cycles, which causes real climate change. LOL.

Once Yellowstone lights off, whoever is around at that time will then quickly and fully understand the Earth dictates what life lives on it.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-24-2023 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick59875.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13483.50
      04-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #2013
gonzo
Lieutenant General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
10199
Rep
14,397
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

^
Not nearly the same power but Juan de Fuca will open a few eyes too.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 08:04 AM   #2014
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
18939
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
This ^. This was the general scientific understanding based on geological and anthropological data up until the proliferation of the internet as the societal data source.

I've actually read on the internet where the imbalanced distribution of humans on the planet is the cause of the Milankovitch Cycles, which causes real climate change. LOL.

Once Yellowstone lights off, whoever is around at that time will then quickly and fully understand the Earth dictates what life lives on it.
And the alarmists will blame it on climate change and GHG emissions.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #2015
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
4997
Rep
4,139
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
My point/position, which I feel is basic common sense, is the planet has a cart full of care issues right in front of us. They're not predictions, they are here. Billions for their fix and things are statistically worse. So I'm supposed to jump on board the thought of the same people, regarding a massively larger project such as EV adaptation, to be in charge?

Follow the money because it is behind all of the above. It's sickening.

Take care.
through all the politics, covid mandates, taxes, irs, abortion, racism, gun laws whatever

what i bolded above is ALWAYS the elephant in the room and MOST don't want to understand or believe it.

its ALWAYS about the money
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
KRS_SN13483.50
      04-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #2016
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
451
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Just wait until the car battery limits you up to 10mph over speed limit.
The only reason Fed is pushing EVs is greater control of the public.

BTW those gas taxes will need to be replaced soon once ICE starts to be less than 50% of new car sales. Will be interesting to see how they will “monitor” miles driven and then send you over nice tax bill. EV power baby!
Just supply and demand dictates that as more people want/need electricity to power their vehicles, the cost of electricity will go up, and similarly if we utilize smaller and smaller portions of our existing petroleum capacity those costs will likely go down. But I am sure we will see higher taxes on gasoline to entice people to migrate to EVs.

The automobile industry is investing all their investable funds on EV vehicles. From here in I don't see much new development of ICE technology, definitely not in 10 years time.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      04-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #2017
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
18939
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Just supply and demand dictates that as more people want/need electricity to power their vehicles, the cost of electricity will go up, and similarly if we utilize smaller and smaller portions of our existing petroleum capacity those costs will likely go down. But I am sure we will see higher taxes on gasoline to entice people to migrate to EVs.

The automobile industry is investing all their investable funds on EV vehicles. From here in I don't see much new development of ICE technology, definitely not in 10 years time.
Government loves its taxes, government collects staggering amounts of taxes from gas, as people move to EV's the tax collection will have to shift. There will also be a need for Trillions to build power plants and upgrade the delivery. That money has to come from somewhere. I'm going to suggest electricity is going to get much more expensive.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick59875.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13483.50
Efthreeoh17267.00
      04-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #2018
R N M
Colonel
R N M's Avatar
3633
Rep
2,051
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
through all the politics, covid mandates, taxes, irs, abortion, racism, gun laws whatever

what i bolded above is ALWAYS the elephant in the room and MOST don't want to understand or believe it.

its ALWAYS about the money
100% and the one country that stands to gain the most is China.
It has zero Oil but a ton of lithium and enough space to build refineries and battery plants. In 10-15 yrs, most common cars will be Chinese makes and all batteries will be manufactured in China. US will lose the little that is remaining of their auto manufacturing domestically.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13483.50
HBC123.50
      04-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #2019
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
451
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
There's something you don't understand. The petrochemical industry just can't shift to making less gasoline. The distillation ratio between the various fuels and petrochemicals is fixed. The ratio is dependent upon the distillation infrastructure already in place. That infrastructure just can't be recapitalized overnight. It will be trillions in investment and decades of work to adjust the fuel stratification supply. Forced mass adoption of EV just disrupts every industry that makes life comfortable for human, from motor fuel tax collection (to pay for roads) to the cost of home heating oil and jet fuel.

But hey, the Planet is at stake!
I wasn't aware of that. But how do they then adjust when global demand dries up due to recessions etc...? The reduction in demand will not happen overnight. It will gradually decrease over the next couple of decades.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #2020
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
451
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X5
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, would you invest in advancing ICE technology when most of the world's governments have banned ICE starting in 2035? But hey, no one is forcing me to buy EV. Lol.
But that would be like wishing to invest in horse carriages after the invention of the ICE vehicles. In 20+ years time who knows, maybe we will have nuclear or fusion powered vehicles that never need a recharge. We have to go with the flow and make the best of what is available to us. The charging issues will definitely improve over time. They will be quicker to charge and more convenient. But I am worried that the government, and utilities are not keeping up with the needed investments on the grid. I installed a whole-house generator as insurance against power disruptions. I think last year about 7 - 8% of vehicles sold in the US were electric. From here on every year that will increase. Is the grid capable of supporting this new demand? Plus on top of that trucks, busses etc. will make the same transition. Let's see how this evolves.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:11 AM   #2021
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2400
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The difference is the government didn't mandate the end of the horse. Several inventors developed a better horse and the market took it from there.

I'm planning on building a new smaller house for retirement. I've decided to go full solar with it. Not to be Green, but because these dumbass planet savers are going to end up tripling the price of electricity, propane, motor fuel (to deliver the propane) and food. All just to drive EV.


you yourself are going solar...not becuse it is saving the planet, becuse it is cheaper source of energy and at the same time a much cleaner source of energy.
You're falling for Their evil plan
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #2022
Patton250
Colonel
Patton250's Avatar
2940
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
you yourself are going solar...not becuse it is saving the planet, becuse it is cheaper source of energy and at the same time a much cleaner source of energy.
You're falling for Their evil plan
Apparently, you didn’t read the details for his reasoning. Either that or you chose to ignore that part.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #2023
Ghostrider.1127
Ghostrider
Ghostrider.1127's Avatar
187
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: M140iX,Z4M40i,M8 comp,M2g87
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Berlin (DE) Stockholm (SVE)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Still is now, but the incentives will obviously disappear as the momentum behind BEVs displaces ICEs from the market and the grid and renewal electricity generation have to adapt. It is unlikely the cost per km/mile of the same class and age of ICE will ever be below that of a BEV again. https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/1...-vs-refuelling
That´s was before the war , cost of KW at charging points increase to a good 70% ( to 230%) . Some links are not doing the trick , with the current prices run a diesel still cheaper than a EV ...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #2024
aerobod
Car Geek
aerobod's Avatar
3615
Rep
3,585
Posts

Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
That´s was before the war , cost of KW at charging points increase to a good 70% ( to 230%) . Some links are not doing the trick , with the current prices run a diesel still cheaper than a EV ...
Not any more, the price is back down to pre-war levels of 2021, after the major peaks in Aug and Dec 2022: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...price-country/ Of course those who locked into contracts when the price was high are going to be paying more than those paying current market rates.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST