E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BOV squealing sound after inlets install

05-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #23
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
If I get inlets, do I have to have BOV, or make do with my Diverter Valve setup?
DV setup and inlets no problem
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #24
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Yeah with DV's, they vend back into the intake so you don't hear the. I really like the Whoosh sound of a BOV....just not when it comes with the hoot owl screech that comes from the inlets.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #25
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I'm using the BMS adapter that hooks up right next to the throttle body....big ports in the adapter, plenty of flow. I'm running a true 1/4" is line. Before with the smaller 1/8" ID line.....it sounded the same. I did a short video showing the BOV when I would rev the motor....it's opening very fast, no delay at all.

The sound has something to do with the silicone inlets...I just don't know what.
Ah, well shit. I was gonna suggest to use the BMS adapter.. ehhh

What inlets are you using? 2"?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 05-08-2021 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #26
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
DV setup and inlets no problem
Thanks mate,
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

I got the 1.75" silicone inlets. I'm thinking about talking the Tial BOV off, taking it apart, and smoothing out the sharp machined edges around the exhaust ports. Maybe that will help with that crazy weird noise it's making. Can't hurt I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:26 PM   #28
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I got the 1.75" silicone inlets. I'm thinking about talking the Tial BOV off, taking it apart, and smoothing out the sharp machined edges around the exhaust ports. Maybe that will help with that crazy weird noise it's making. Can't hurt I guess.
Try putting a Turbosmart Raceport BOV on and see

Lol that's what I have and want to put RB 1.75" on sometime soon with new dp's and am at a loss too with what you've tried so far as to what the problem is. You said before only the Tial's have a problem with it..? I had one for like 30 miles and loved the sound tbh though
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #29
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not ready to throw $250 at a new BOV just to test it out. I'm going to be getting a new set of RB turbos on here in the next month, alone with a custom tune......so I will see what it sounds like after that.

I'm still thinking about taking the Tial off and smoothing out the sharp edges on the exhaust port.....maybe that will help?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #30
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

No need to take apart your BOV. It’s the silicone stock location inlets causing that weird sound coming from your DCI most likely and not the BOV. When you upgrade your turbos get the relocated inlets (PR) and you will never have that weird sound and problem again. Trust me i was chasing after this issue myself it sounded so weird that my lady even noticed the sound and asked about it lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #31
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6266N54 View Post
No need to take apart your BOV. It’s the silicone stock location inlets causing that weird sound coming from your DCI most likely and not the BOV. When you upgrade your turbos get the relocated inlets (PR) and you will never have that weird sound and problem again. Trust me i was chasing after this issue myself it sounded so weird that my lady even noticed the sound and asked about it lol.
So what is it about the silicone let's that make that sound? Are you saying the noise is coming from the air filters and not the BOV?

I took a video of my BOV opening....it sure sounds like the noise is coming from the BOV. Also, if it's not the BOV....why do the guys with the Turbosmart BOV's not seem to have this issue, but everyone with the Tial BOV's does?

Alot of thing about it make no sense....

https://youtube.com/shorts/Dn3QYym1rYs?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #32
_N54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So what is it about the silicone let's that make that sound? Are you saying the noise is coming from the air filters and not the BOV?

I took a video of my BOV opening....it sure sounds like the noise is coming from the BOV. Also, if it's not the BOV....why do the guys with the Turbosmart BOV's not seem to have this issue, but everyone with the Tial BOV's does?

Because when I was running the oem side vrsf inlets I had turbosmart diverter valves and it made the same low pitch weird squealing sound especially when you let off the throttle lightly at a lower rpm. Since I switched to relocated and got the tial Q BOV with the BMS adapter it sounds normal.
      05-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #33
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

What's a good set of quality relocated inlets that I should look at? Might do that at the same time I do my new turbos.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #34
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

That second time you rev it (@15s) it does make a sound that I could relate to the inlets now come to think of it. Imagine you had just a short little silicone pipe in your hands, with one side completely covered, and then you cover the other side with your palm trying to create a little suction seal and then remove your hand really fast (does that make sense). It's like a pop sound

I still have stock inlets with the TS bov so I can't say for sure, I'm still trying to make sense of it too. I mean, if it's only the inlets then you'd hear every single person ever who got oem silicone inlets have this issue.

Assuming you've already double and triple checked all the connections to make sure it's tight..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #35
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Has anyone had this noise with the RB inlets? I know they are much more rigid than many of the other brands....they have wire inlelays to help them hold their shape. Just curious of anyone has tried those?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #36
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone had this noise with the RB inlets? I know they are much more rigid than many of the other brands....they have wire inlelays to help them hold their shape. Just curious of anyone has tried those?
Found this, not sure if you read yet.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36437
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #37
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Found this, not sure if you read yet.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36437
So basically.....any aftermarket silicone inlets will make the horrible sound.

Nice....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #38
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Nice....
Ya seems kinda upsetting for sure, maybe RB switched manufacturers since 5 years ago though now. I do remember I had an email chain going with him where he mentioned he has to do consistent qa on the inlets b/c they sometimes come up weaker/not reinforced. I will be getting his inlets for sure still, just contemplating the labor

All this spring talk has finally made me order the spring kit for my TS raceport though and I'm going to switch that out haha, but I also can't seem to find anyone with a raceport having the same issue, only the Tial's. Someone was saying cuz they are produced cheaper and have a smaller spring rate range. Cheap test though put in the stock intake on if you don't want to deal with the $250 TS and returning it/selling the Tial or what have you.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #39
_N54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What's a good set of quality relocated inlets that I should look at? Might do that at the same time I do my new turbos.
PR inlets. They fit well

https://www.precisionraceworks.com/e...inlet-kit.aspx.
      06-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #40
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Nice....
I just put RB inlets on and have the same whistle sound now, really pronounced to be honest. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:12 PM   #41
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
I just put RB inlets on and have the same whistle sound now, really pronounced to be honest. Oh well
Are you also running a Tial BOV?

I'm thinking about taking my Tial BOV off this weekend and smoothing out all of the sharp edges on the exhaust ports.....maybe that's what's causing the high pitched noise? It sure would be nice to find out what's causing that noise.....it seems like just about everyone I see with aftermarket inlets and a Tial BOV gets that noise after they install the inlets. Sounds horrible.......will give an update after I smooth the ports out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #42
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:

I'm thinking about taking my Tial BOV off this weekend and smoothing out all of the sharp edges on the exhaust ports.....maybe that's what's causing the high pitched noise? It sure would be nice to find out what's causing that noise.....it seems like just about everyone I see with aftermarket inlets and a Tial BOV gets that noise after they install the inlets. Sounds horrible.......will give an update after I smooth the ports out.
Sound is subjective. Inlets made my BOV louder, but I don't think it sounds bad. I don't think filing the exhaust ports makes any sense either. If the ports were the problem, inlets would have nothing to do with the sound. Tials would just always sound weird. But at this point you 100% know the issue is related to inlets, as that is the only variable.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:58 PM   #43
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

No the Turbosmart Raceport with correct springs. Do you have DCI's?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #44
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Try running with no filters just to see what it sounds like.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0