E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Aftermarket Water Pump

03-29-2019, 06:07 AM   #23
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
Wow that failure rate is ridiculous! Has anyone ever tried to put in a N52 pump in place and changing the connector on the harness? They're both 4 pin so it may work? It's figuring out the pin out I would imagine? I may be way off!!
If I remember correctly the N52 pump is 200W, and the N54 is 400W. More cooling demand with turbos.
      03-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #24
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I purchased my replacement (pump and thermo) from Turner Motorsports. Luckily they had a small sale at the time it went out. 100k mileage now with zero issues ever since. The DIY install is not very hard just time consuming.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E90-Parts
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #25
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
If I remember correctly the N52 pump is 200W, and the N54 is 400W. More cooling demand with turbos.
Oh I see. Thanks for the info!
      03-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #26
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

So it’s been replaced, the old pump was OE with a BMW Part number on it, it was leaking between the plastic face and metal casing...Changed thermostat, Ushaped hose and upper radiator hose while I was there.... should be good for another 27K miles, LOL ugggg
Seriously thinking about putting in a Napa Duct or something to help keep the pump cooler
Appreciate 1
type-dRew641.00
      04-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #27
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot-335is View Post
So it’s been replaced, the old pump was OE with a BMW Part number on it, it was leaking between the plastic face and metal casing...Changed thermostat, Ushaped hose and upper radiator hose while I was there.... should be good for another 27K miles, LOL ugggg
Seriously thinking about putting in a Napa Duct or something to help keep the pump cooler
If you have mhd, turn on sport cooling. Even though it runs the pump harder the consensus is that the cooler temps actually extend life expectancy.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #28
535xiChas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Electric water pump fcp euro

Quote:
By using FCP Euro, You don’t have to buy the pump again but you have to keep installing them. What a PITA! If you read the reviews on FCP Euro, one customer has had to install 3 of their pumps in a year...Not Fun, Not really Economical.

I found this
http://https://www.jegs.com/i/Davies...2/-1#reviewTab

The pump itself is like $160, the controller brings it up to $396

The link doesn’t want to work but the product is a Davies Craig DC-8970 Contoller and Pump

My FCP EURO Water Pump failed out of the box and now I think I"m stuck paying to remove and reinstall another part. Yeah it's great that the part is replaced, but the labor is actually more than the part and I'm paying that 2x for a lemon out of the box part. Not the best deal. I'd have been better off letting the indy shop upcharge me for the part and then they'd be on the hook for double labor. I thought I'd save a few bucks and now I'm literally spending double.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:26 PM   #29
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535xiChas View Post
My FCP EURO Water Pump failed out of the box and now I think I"m stuck paying to remove and reinstall another part. Yeah it's great that the part is replaced, but the labor is actually more than the part and I'm paying that 2x for a lemon out of the box part. Not the best deal. I'd have been better off letting the indy shop upcharge me for the part and then they'd be on the hook for double labor. I thought I'd save a few bucks and now I'm literally spending double.
Why would the shop be on the hook for the labor? Make no difference where the part comes from. No warranty on the labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #30
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Why would the shop be on the hook for the labor? Make no difference where the part comes from. No warranty on the labor.
Come on feuer, rethink what you just said. My mechanic has a sign that specifically states "No warranty labor on parts brought on by customers." I guess the 20% upcharge covers that one time a part fails immediately after a swap
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #31
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Come on feuer, rethink what you just said. My mechanic has a sign that specifically states "No warranty labor on parts brought on by customers." I guess the 20% upcharge covers that one time a part fails immediately after a swap
There is nothing to rethink, shops usually never warranty the labor for replacing parts if the part fails regardless of where the part came from. Don't get confused with incorrect installation or similar like due to incorrect diagnostics when they have to re do it for free. They might offer discounted rate and/or will take your money elsewhere but won't be doing it for free.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #32
flyin54
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Aftermarket Water Pump

I had a VDO water pump fail on me as well, was leaking right after I installed it. Never went with VDO pumps again, try original Bmw OEM or the all aluminum water pumps, it's not worth the headache of getting stranded on the highway with saving a couple hundred
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      05-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #33
flyin54
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandomNickname View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin54 View Post
I had a VDO water pump fail on me as well, was leaking right after I installed it. Never went with VDO pumps again, try original Bmw OEM or the all aluminum water pumps, it's not worth the headache of getting stranded on the highway with saving a couple hundred
VDO/Continental = BMW OEM

Sounds like bad luck production or installation error.
Bmw has better quality control and proper testing of the water pumps. If you buy a VDO pump without the Bmw box around it, it's either a hit or miss.

Are you essentially getting the same pump? Yes. But you have to consider the fact that Bmw adds additional quality control and testing hence the price difference.

Is it worth to buy a Bmw OEM waterpump?
I would, if I was getting a shop to install it. Either way it your installing it yourself, do you really want to go through all that effort again? I personally would just spend the extra $100-$200 to get genuine or the all aluminum water pump.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #34
Aeronotix
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Well, it looks like I am going to be replacing the Waterpump once again on this thing. This will be the 3rd one in 79k miles, FML!!!
Has anyone attempted to install an aftermarket waterpump on these cars?
I sure wish BMW would have stayed with a Mechanical Pump, this thing seems to be eating them. Original Lasted 4,5 years/52k miles, second 2years/27k miles.
I can’t believe someone in the aftermarket hasn’t come up with an upgrade!
I replaced my water pump with a vdo continental as well. Something that dtriked me reading the instructions is "turn propeller by hand before installation ".
I don't know if that step is critical and important for longevity
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #35
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandomNickname View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin54 View Post
VDO/Continental = BMW OEM

Sounds like bad luck production or installation error.
It certainly isn't a "bad batch". The issue is the mold. Within one year I had to install 3 pumps, the 3rd one has been good for about 8 months now. The previous three (the one on the car, and then two that I subsequently replaced) all cracked and started leaking out of the plastic molding in the exact same spot, which is also the spot it has been cracking at for years and is documented quite well throughout several posts not only here on E90Post but the other forums as well. And no, it was not due to oil as has been speculated, all of the pumps came off the car completely dry of oil.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200145

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205805